Yi-Tan Tech Community Call #390 - Our Changing Commons - 1:30pm Eastern, Monday, June 16

Jerry Michalski

Jun 16, 2013, 5:09:15 PM6/16/13
to Yi-Tan List
Greetings,

In 2010, Dave Witzel and I reconnoitered the Commons in a series of podcasts for the Environmental Defense Fund, which included guests such as Charlotte Hess and Ruth Meinzen-Dick.

Here in the Yi-Tan calls we've talked about municipal broadband service as a Commons, with Chris Mitchell.

Let's dive deeper into Commons with Cardozo law professor Brett Frischmann, who has parallel research interests in infrastructure Commons and knowledge Commons. His work ranges from telecommunications to medical research and the Internet.

With Brett, let's discuss:

  • How can we best understand Commons? How has this changed over time?
  • Are Commons assets or liabilities?
  • How true is the "Tragedy of the Commons"?
  • What can we do to improve our ability to nurture Commons?

(I've taken to capitalizing the Commons out of respect, and to call it out in prose.)

As always, an IRC chat will be available during the call at #yitan.

We tweet as @yitan (and use #yitan as our hashtag). Please follow us on Twitter. This page is on the web here.

Date: Monday, 2013-06-17

Time: 10:30am Pacific, 1:30pm Eastern

Dial: 1-626-677-3000, passcode 778778

See all the Yi-Tan calls in the weekly call archive or listen to the edited podcasts on the Blog. You can also listen to the shorter call summaries there.

Please feel free to forward this note to people you think would be interested in these calls. (To unsubscribe, just reply to me and I'll be happy to do so.)

Talk to you on the call!

Bestest,

Jerry