Precise and basic Yesod installation steps, Ubuntu

Conee

Jan 14, 2021, 12:36:39 PM1/14/21
to Yesod Web Framework
Regards,
I would start working on the Yesod project and I am interested in the steps of installing Yesod on Ubuntu os.
- I installed a Haskell platform
- I installed the stack tool for linux systems

- Do I now have to create a scaffolded project like in the yesod quick start guide, or can I just install globally with the commands like : sudo apt-get update -y, sudo apt-get install -y yesod?
- What if I don't want to create a project right away but want to run smaller examples (which are just a .hs file)?
- Do I need a cabal or is a stack tool enough?

If anyone can write clearly step by step, I would be grateful. Thank you!

Sibi Prabakaran

Jan 14, 2021, 12:49:40 PM1/14/21
to yeso...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 11:06 PM Conee <nemanj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would start working on the Yesod project and I am interested in the steps of installing Yesod on Ubuntu os.
> - I installed a Haskell platform
> - I installed the stack tool for linux systems
>
> - Do I now have to create a scaffolded project like in the yesod quick start guide, or can I just install globally with the commands like : sudo apt-get update -y, sudo apt-get install -y yesod?

Starting your project based on a scaffolded project is a good idea. I
wouldn't recommend using the package manager as the packages in the
repository are usually outdated.

> - What if I don't want to create a project right away but want to run smaller examples (which are just a .hs file)?

You can use stack interpreter feature. You can find some examples of
it in the cookbook here:
https://github.com/yesodweb/yesod-cookbook/blob/master/Snippets.md

> - Do I need a cabal or is a stack tool enough?

I personally use stack and recommend that.

Regards,
--
Sibi Prabakaran
https://psibi.in