The future of Yesod

Arthur Fayzrakhmanov

Dec 19, 2021, 8:37:54 AM12/19/21
to Yesod Web Framework
Hi folks!

I'm using Yesod since 2015 (or so) in my projects, few of them are in production.  Typically that are small web-applications with relatively small amount or users,  but one of my projects have a chance to go further and get quite high loads.

I've noticed that since v2 Yesod didn't received any big updates and this worries me a bit.  Does anyone use Yesod in big real-world projects?

What is the future of Yesod?

Michael Snoyman

Dec 19, 2021, 10:43:08 AM12/19/21
to yeso...@googlegroups.com
I hope others weigh in as well, because I'm curious what others are thinking at this point.

Personally: I set out with Yesod to bring standard MVC backend server functionality to Haskell. Yesod for me is essentially feature complete. I don't have specific additions I'm looking to make. On the other hand, I'm _very_ hesitant to make breaking API changes, and adding new functionality into the core libraries of Yesod increases that probability. My recommendation for a while has been for new functionality to be added as new libraries that can iterate their designs.

I do have plenty of improvements I'd love to make to Yesod from a design perspective. As a simple example, I think overhauling the monad transformer approach to be more in line with the ReaderT pattern would be a good thing. And I've considered such changes in the past. But these kinds of changes seem to mostly appeal to a code cleanliness goal and involve lots of tedious changes for end users, so I've held off (in line with my stability goals).

That's the primary reason I haven't pushed new changes to Yesod in years.

jsch...@gmail.com

Dec 19, 2021, 4:00:22 PM12/19/21
to Yesod Web Framework
I only use Yesod in production in two small and soon three projects. The third project might get slow with more users because it's computational somewhat demanding. But more instances and a simple load-balancer or just a better server should be sufficient.

I don't miss general MVC functionality in Yesod. Of course I have my own library of functions for utilities and extensions but they are still too special to add it to Yesod.

A dedicated REST API framework with e.g. functionality for paging, filters, cross-links shouldn't be in the core anyway I think.

And I also value a stable core without breaking changes!

Steffen Jost

Apr 11, 2023, 7:59:35 AM4/11/23
to Yesod Web Framework
We are using Yesod in production at a university (managing course materials, homework grading, exams) and fork of the same software for managing employee qualifications (training courses, tests, etc.) at a large civilian airport.

Felipe Carmona Miquilini

Apr 11, 2023, 8:04:05 AM4/11/23
to yeso...@googlegroups.com
I am using Yesod on my platform, for local shoppers and service providers, and it is perfect the way it is, I am able to make my Queries very maintainable with Esqueleto, am am able to do all that I need with forms and pages with handlers, please, do not change it, just improve what is already there... (which is not very much because it is already really good).

--
Felipe Carmona Miquilini