Yesod 1.4 release date

Michael Snoyman

Sep 21, 2014, 10:57:13 AM9/21/14
to yeso...@googlegroups.com
I'm announcing in advance the release date for Yesod 1.4: Sunday, September 28. We'll be making two sets of releases on that date:

* Greg will be releasing the newest persistent 2.0.* code as 2.1, to signify that persistent 2 is now stable.
* I'll release the code from the yesod-1.4 branch on Github as yesod-1.4, and switch the Yesod book's default version to display the 1.4 content.

Note that I do *not* have plans to update the scaffolding for the configuration issues I've raised in the past few weeks, but we can make those changes during the 1.4 lifetime.

Alexandr Kurilin

Sep 21, 2014, 2:25:03 PM9/21/14
to yeso...@googlegroups.com
On a related note, would it be possible to have a brief guide on how to migrate existing 1.2 apps to the new version, assuming you created the older Yesod application through scaffolding? Or, is there a recommended path for us who would like to upgrade to the latest version?

Michael Snoyman

Sep 21, 2014, 2:33:54 PM9/21/14
to yeso...@googlegroups.com
The detailed change list[1] has the information on what's changed in Yesod itself. The main things you'll need to do on that front are:

* Add some language extensions (ViewPatterns in particular, possibly a few others).
* Add `instance YesodAuthPersist App` to Foundation.hs.

The other changes would come from updated dependencies. Persistent 2.0 is likely to have the biggest impact, but I'm not even sure if that will have any serious repercussions. The biggest change I've noticed is the need to change:

    type PersistBackend App = SqlPersist

    type PersistBackend App = SqlBackend

I'll do my typical "upgrade haskellers.com and report what broke." But if others could do a trial compile of their own sites as well, I'd be very interested in the results.

Vagif Verdi

Sep 21, 2014, 2:42:55 PM9/21/14
to yeso...@googlegroups.com, mic...@snoyman.com
What about codebase that does nto use Persistence library at all?

Michael Snoyman

Sep 21, 2014, 2:50:01 PM9/21/14
to yeso...@googlegroups.com
Then you have even less to worry about :). Honestly, I think you'll just need to add ViewPatterns as a language extension and bump some upper bounds.

I actually just finished upgrading haskellers to Yesod 1.4, you can see the changeset here:

https://github.com/snoyberg/haskellers/commit/e01e71371f0334b88b7cee9ce2a461e2009b415b

About 90% of it is just changing version bounds. Note that I also needed to tweak yesod-fb and yesod-auth-fb, but that again was just a cabal file change, no code changes required.

Christopher Reichert

Sep 21, 2014, 2:58:37 PM9/21/14
to yeso...@googlegroups.com
That's not bad at all!

I have a few sites I am looking forward to updating to 1.4 so I will chime in if I have any issues as well.

Thanks for all the hard work everyone! Yesod is really great.

-Christopher

Felipe Lessa

Sep 22, 2014, 2:11:14 PM9/22/14
to yeso...@googlegroups.com
Michael, you have upload and commit* access to esqueleto, please release
it in tandem if possible :).

Thanks!

* I thought I had given you commit access already, but I didn't. Now
GitHub is just waiting for your confirmation.

--
Felipe.

signature.asc

Michael Snoyman