YBP News: Harvey Recovery Special Edition

Yellow Bike Project (via Google Docs)

Sep 8, 2017, 11:02:11 AM9/8/17
to yellowbike...@googlegroups.com
Yellow Bike Project has attached the following document:
YBP Newsletter Harvey Edition
Snapshot of the item below:

ybpnewslettertag2.jpg

september 2017 special edition

HARVEY BIKE RELIEF

BIKE BUILD SHOPS FOR EXPERIENCED MECHANICS

WHERE WILL ALL THESE BIKES GO?

HOW CAN YOU HELP US GET MORE BIKES?

SHOP SCHEDULE

HARVEY BIKE RELIEF

Like most everyone in the state of Texas, we are still coming to grips with the far-reaching impacts of Hurricane Harvey. From the landfall destruction in Rockport and Port Aransas to the unimagined rainfall in the Houston metro area to flooding right here at our doorstep in Bastrop County, the destruction is difficult to grasp, and the needs of those affected run broad and deep.

In past catastrophic storm relief and recovery efforts, bicycles have played a critical role for people facing a lack of transportation options, fuel shortages, displacement to unfamiliar areas, or severe financial hardship. In New York City after Hurricane Sandy, bicycle use increased by 2-4 times, and in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, a coalition of Austin area organizations including YBP collected, repaired, and and donated over 1,000 bikes to storm victims.

We know that the recovery will be hard and long. With so many of our neighbors having lost so much, we are called to help in the way we know best: getting as many bikes to people in need as we can. Read below for ways you can help out.

BIKE BUILD SHOPS FOR EXPERIENCED MECHANICS

Calling all seasoned mechanics, Earn-A-Bike graduates, and coordinator alumni! All MONDAY NIGHTS through October 2, 6pm-10pm, we will be holding Experienced Mech Shops with the goal of getting as many safe and solid bikes ready as fast as we can. This means we won’t be offering the shop for personal use or Earn-A-Bike instruction on Mondays.

If you’ve got some tuning up to do or just want to learn, don’t despair: we’ll be continuing our regularly scheduled programming throughout the week. Just come in
Tuesday through Friday nights, and while you’re mastering tires and tubes, you’ll be lending a hand, too!

We will also have a WEEKEND bike build work party on Sunday the 17th from 2pm-6pm, again for those comfortable with bicycle repair.

An extra-special thanks goes out to everybody who packed the workstands for our Labor Day Experienced Mech Shop, helping us fix up more than 30 adult bicycles in a single day. It was really short notice, and an incredible start to YBP relief efforts!

WHERE WILL ALL THESE BIKES GO?

That’s a good question, with a few answers so far and more to come. At the moment, several folks have been working hard to set up a bike share for those stuck at the shelter in Southeast Austin. While shelter situations remain in flux throughout the state, we’ve also been in touch with folks from Austin Common Ground Relief and Counter Balance ATX, two of many local groups that have hit the ground running with their amazing grassroots relief work both here in Austin and down in some of the hardest-hit areas around Houston and the Gulf. We also expect that longtime partners like Caritas and Refugee Services of Texas-Austin could experience additional need.

Recovery from such a devastating storm is a long-term effort, and we know that access to bikes is probably not the very first thing on most people’s minds. If you’re with an organization that’s identified a need for bikes, please
contact us at austinye...@gmail.com.

HOW CAN YOU HELP US GET MORE BIKES?

All bikes that are revived at YBP were generously donated by someone like you.  Got something in your garage you haven’t ridden in years, looking for love? Come drop it off at the shop any time we’re open. All ages, all styles, anything bike or bike-related in any condition. If you are interested in hosting a bicycle drive or could collect a large number of bikes at a school, place of worship, or neighborhood center to support these efforts, please contact austinye...@gmail.com.

We also accept cash donations, which will help us outfit bikes we give away with locks, lights, and other accessories to make the bikes more safe and more useful for their new riders. Year-round, cash donations also help keep us stocked with the grease, oil, tools, and other supplies we invite everyone to use at our shop, and also helps to fund our youth education programming. You can donate at the shop or online.

For the month of September. YBP sets its schedule on the first Tuesday of every month at our Collective Meeting. Schedule below continues through Monday, October 2.

Yellow Bike

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Saturday

Sunday

1216 Webberville Road

Map

Kids Open Shop
3pm-6pm

Exp. Mech. Shop
6pm-10pm

Retail Hours 11am–6pm

Kids Open Shop
3pm-6pm

Open Shop

6pm–10pm

Retail Hours 11am–6pm

Kids Open Shop
3pm-6pm

Open Shop
6pm–10pm

Retail Hours 11am–6pm

Kids Open Shop
3pm-6pm

Volunteer-Only Shop

6pm–10pm

Retail Hours 11am–6pm

Kids Open Shop
3pm-6pm

Open Shop

6pm–10pm

Retail Hours 11am–6pm

9/10:
WTF Shop
Noon-3pm

9/17:
Exp. Mech. Shop
2pm-6pm

Open Shop

Use the shop to fix up your own bike OR to volunteer and learn

Volunteer-Only Shop

Volunteers are welcome, but you can't work on your own bike

WTF Shop

Our monthly open shop just for Women/Trans/Femme

Experienced Mechanic Shop

Special shops for Harvey bike building. Experienced bicycle mechanics, volunteers, and bicycle donations welcome, but we will not be offering personal shop use or Earn-A-Bike instruction during this time.

Kids Open Shop

Open Shop, just for kids!

Retail Hours

“Bicycle-thrift-store” hours, open for sales of bikes and parts as well as donation drop-offs.

Austin's Yellow Bike Project | www.austinyellowbike.org

To leave the YBP Newsletter Google Group, click here.

Google Docs: Create and edit documents online.
Google Inc. 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, USA
You have received this email because someone shared a document with you from Google Docs.
Logo for Google Docs