Yellow Bike News for January 2014 (yellowbike-newsletter@googlegroups.com)

yellow bike (Google Drive)

Jan 15, 2014, 10:53:02 AM1/15/14
to yellowbike...@googlegroups.com
YBP Newsletter January 2014
Having trouble reading the newsletter? Try clicking here to read it on the web:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pnOXqg7reffSo9tk4yjfiji3HQWNSsAEG8Y1MHE_i1I/pub

Or, view it on our website: http://austinyellowbike.org/2014/01/yellow-bike-news-for-january-2014/

Snapshot of the item below:

january 2014

Onion Creek Rideable Relief

HONK!TX Bike Drive

Ride for Refuge

Backyard Permablitz

Shop Schedule

HONK!TX Bike Drive

Sunday, February 2

11am–4pm

@Wheatsville Co-op

3101 Guadalupe &

4001 S. Lamar

Ride for Refuge

Saturday, February 8

7am–4pm

@YBP

Backyard Permablitz

Saturday, February 8 & Sunday, February 9

9am–5pm

@YBP

Thinking about building a wheel? Straight-gauge or double-butted, size ‘em up with the Edd spoke length calculator.

Onion Creek Rideable Relief

For many residents of Southeast Austin, 2013 was a harrowing year. The Halloween flooding in Onion Creek damaged and destroyed scores of houses, displacing families and subjecting an estimated 200 children to homelessness in the wake of the catastrophe. Even as the weeks and months pass, life for flood survivors is far from being back to normal.

A bike ride may be very minor relief in the face of such devastation, but sometimes those little things mean a lot. In cooperation with Austin Common Ground Relief, YBP delivered 35 bikes to Onion Creek residents, with an emphasis on children’s bikes. As always, thanks to all y’all amazing volunteers for helping us build up the backstock of freshly-fixed bikes that allowed this donation to happen on the fly, bringing some smiles to cyclists both young and old. We hope to continue working with Common Ground to aid in the neighborhood’s long-term recovery by making two wheels into one less worry.

HONK!TX Bike Drive

The HONK!TX community street band festival is gearing up to bring brassy good times to Austin for a fourth year. Since its inception, YBP has supported HONK!’s mission to fill our city’s public spaces with free fun. YBP provides pedal-powered transportation for the unpaid musicians, who come from all across the continent to entertain us in our parks and on our pavement. To make sure that nary a snare drummer or sousaphonist is without a saddle, we’re holding a bike drive at HONK!’s favorite grocery store, Wheatsville Co-op. Stop by either Wheatsville location (3101 Guadalupe and 4001 S. Lamar) on Sunday, February 2 from 11am–4pm with that old clunker that’s been collecting rust in the garage. We’ll get it fixed up so these street bands can get around town—then after the festival, these bikes will re-enter the standard shop stream as thrifty sale-bike bargains or free rides for cyclists in need.

Don’t have an extra bike handy, but love HONK! just the same? Head out to the HONK!4TX Winter FUNraiser on Friday, January 24 at the Spider House Ballroom to show your support and hear local horns blowin’ to help hold you over until springtime.

Ride for Refuge

YBP is thrilled to be hosting Austin’s tenth annual Ride for Refuge on Saturday, February 8. Benefitting Refugee Services of Texas while raising awareness of the displaced among us, Ride for Refuge is a pleasurable way to aid a great cause. With multiple routes for riders and teams of all skill levels and afterparty fun waiting upon your return to YBP HQ, we’re hard-pressed to think of a better way to spend your Saturday. To register as an individual or a team, click here. (Please note that to make room for the festivities, we won’t be open for our normal retail operation.)

Backyard Permablitz

Then again, maybe you need a break from spinning those legs. If you’d like to swap the grease under your nails for some soil, learn a thing or two about swales, and help make YBP’s landscape a little more sustainable, spend the weekend at our Backyard Permablitz on Saturday, February 8 and Sunday, February 9 from 9am–5pm. Pick up permaculture basics while sprucing up the lot with some sweet perennials.

For the month of January. YBP sets its schedule on the first Tuesday of every month at our Collective Meeting. Schedule below continues through Monday, February 3.

Yellow Bike

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Saturday

Sunday

1216 Webberville Road

Map

Open Shop

9am–Noon

Open Shop

5pm–9pm

Retail Hours 11am–6pm

Open Shop

6pm–9pm

Retail Hours 11am–6pm

Retail Hours 11am–6pm

Volunteer-Only Shop

6pm-10pm

Retail Hours 11am–6pm

Open Shop

6pm–10pm

Retail Hours 11am–6pm

Closed

Open Shop

Use the shop to fix up your own bike OR to volunteer.

Volunteer-Only Shop

Volunteers are welcome, but you can't work on your own bike.

Retail Hours

Open for sales and donations ONLY.

Austin's Yellow Bike Project | www.austinyellowbike.org

To leave the YBP Newsletter Google Group, click here.

Google Drive: create, share, and keep all your stuff in one place. Logo for Google Drive