FIFAfrica22 session tomorrow - Building Inclusive, Equitable Democratic Technology Norms in Internet Governance Institutions

Ayden Férdeline

Sep 27, 2022, 12:05:27 PM9/27/22
to yc...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

If you will be at the Forum on Internet Freedom in Africa in Lusaka, Zambia, please consider joining this session on democratic technology norms tomorrow at 5:00 PM local time organized by the National Democratic Institute. My co-moderator and I hope to keep it as interactive as possible! Unfortunately there will not be real-time remote participation but if you would like a link to the recording, please let me know off-list and I will try to arrange this. Thanks!

Best wishes,
Ayden Férdeline

Description
Developing and implementing global digital policy norms and standards in a locally-relevant and human rights-respecting manner is a challenge, but meeting this challenge is critical to ensuring that democracy can flourish online and positively drive the Internet forward well into the future. However, voices in these conversations today are often biased towards industry, governments and rich countries, often centering the debate in Europe and North America. How can we build more inclusive, truly global conversations?

This workshop includes panelists from civil society who will discuss the challenges and opportunities in diversifying existing or emerging norms. The workshop will introduce research from a newly released National Democratic Institute study, “Influencing the Internet: Democratizing the Politics that Shape Internet Governance Norms and Standards” that surveyed leading campaigners and policymakers in the Global South to surface new insights into how the effective engagement of non-state and non-market voices can best be achieved and sustained in these conversations.

Recommendations from the report, and this discussion, will present models for enabling greater and more diverse representation in Internet governance and other technology fora regionally and globally. This discussion is part of a series of socratic seminars that the National Democratic Institute is organizing in order to energize and fortify the open, multistakeholder model of Internet governance in the wake of new threats to Internet freedoms as governments and the private sector compete to re-assert their authority in or against technical coordination bodies. This could also include follow on consultations at the Internet Governance Forum in Ethiopia in December 2022.

Speakers
Anriette Esterhuysen, Association for Progressive Communications
Nashilongo Gervasius, namTshuwe Digital
Catherine Muya, ARTICLE 19 Eastern Africa

Moderators
Daniel Arnaudo, National Democratic Institute
Ayden Férdeline, Internet Law and Policy Foundry