Aug 27-31: Native America Calling schedule

1 view

Yvonne Yazzie

Aug 24, 2007, 11:13:28 PM8/24/07
to YazzieNet
Call toll free to participate at 1-800-996-2848

Associate Producer
Susan Braine, COO-National
P.O. Box 40164
Albuquerque, NM 87196

Monday, April 27, 2007 - Native Slaves of the Caribbean:
When slavery is brought up, most people think of the 17 th and 18 th centuries and the slave trade that took millions of Africans from their homelands to plantations in the New World. Mixed in with the transport of African slaves to the Caribbean islands included some Native people. Current day circumstances are allowing the roots of these lost relatives to be reconnected. Recently northeastern tribes, such as the Pequot, reflected on this shared oral history, and honored the legacy of those that endured the Native slave route to the Caribbean. What ties does your tribe have to slavery? Guests TBA.
Tuesday, April 28, 2007 - Bordertown Racism:
The ongoing violence, hate crimes and other discriminatory actions toward Native people in reservation and village bordertowns is cresting. But instead of fighting back with an eye-for-an-eye attitude, tribal members are seeking healing through promotion of racial tolerance and understanding. How are false stereotypes fostering resentment of Native people, and how do Native people fight back without causing an "Indian Uprising?" Guests include Art Neskahi of the Navajo Nation, organizer of the upcoming Walk for Peace and Justice .
Wednesday, April 29, 2007 - Book of the Month: Reclaiming Dine' History:
"Reclaiming Dine' History", by Dine' author, Dr. Jennifer Nez Denetdale presents an examination of issues in Navajo history. Denetdale uses a multi-layered approach to look at the way non-natives have presented Navajo history throughout the years. She says that those same histories, when read with an understanding of Navajo creation stories, "reveal previously unrecognized Navajo perspectives on the past." Join us as we discuss Dr. Denetdale's new book and the process of reclaiming history.
Thursday, April 30, 2007 - Paying for Prayers:
You can have salvation of the spirit and learn old Indian ways to boot, just send a check or credit card number and you too can become a certified Medicine Man or Medicine Woman. For an affordable price, you can also pay for healing ceremonies, sweat lodges, and other spiritual cleansing. How do you feel about paying for prayers? Native medicine people have always offered their services in exchange for a blanket or a pouch of tobacco , but is cold hard cash asking too much? Guests include Dr. Art Carroll, moderator of the New Age Frauds Plastic Shamans online chat group.

Friday, August 31, 2007 - Re-Learning to Live, After Trauma:
Everyday actions like putting on your own clothes, taking a stroll down the street or shaking someone's hand are actions that some people complete without thinking. Imagine one day something happens and your body and your brain have forgotten how to complete these actions. For some Natives who have lived through serious trauma either through accidents, combat, illness, or loss of limbs, the simple things become the biggest tests of strength. Join us as we talk with Natives who have taken the challenge of re-learning physical actions and have turned them into heroic feats. Guests TBA.

Pledge your support    for Native radio and Native America Callingby becoming a member of Koahnic Broadcast Corporation. You can pledge online via our secure server any time, any day. Pledging on the web also helps minimize paper waste.
Feel free to send any feedback in our direction and we will do our best address concerns and requests.
Thank you for listening to Native America Calling and have a great week!