Unneeded dependencies and Packagekit handling

Atri

Dec 3, 2010, 4:36:23 PM12/3/10
to yast2-gtk
Hi!
For 11.4, it would be very useful if the two following features can be
implemented in yast2-gtk:-

1. Suggest packagekit to quit when it conflicts with yast sw_single
https://features.opensuse.org/309367

This is already implemented in zypper. So when packagekit is
working in
the background, and you try zypper in foo*, zypper gives an output
like

"PackageKit is blocking zypper. This happens if you have an updater
applet
or other software management application using PackageKit running.
Tell PackageKit to quit? [yes/no] (no): yes
PackageKit is still running (probably busy)."

However something like that is not implemented for any of the
GUI's,
which still report a generic error message instead.

2. Ricardo had probably looked into an Unneeded package group as
discussed in an earlier post [http://groups.google.com/group/yast2-gtk/
msg/80d9296bc6b6f0ef ], it would be very useful to have something like
this in yast2-gtk.

It has been a while since some activity on this m-l :)

Also please let me know if there is anything that I can test out to
report, etc. with the svn version.
--
Bye

Ricardo Cruz

Dec 4, 2010, 1:45:39 PM12/4/10
to yast...@googlegroups.com
Hi Atri,

Those features aren't really suitable to be implemented as the gtk
plugin level. But it would be a shame to see them dying, so let's
give them a shot. We can then pass our code to the maintainers of
the appropriate modules.

With regard to the 2nd point about "unneeded dependencies",
the thing is that there will be false positives and false negatives.
The false positives are troublesome, but we can make sure to
display a caveat emptor. Besides, the dependency resolver won't
let the user remove "needed dependencies". We could even
make use of that ourselves by simulating the removal of the
packages we would list to filter the false positives.
I will try implementing this one directly in C++ in the gtk
plugin, because it was frustrating to come up with a test
case in Python.

By the way, not sure if "unneeded dependencies" really
conveys that these are packages that were once installed
as dependencies but no longer serve a function. What about:
* loose packages
* remnant dependencies
* vestigial dependencies
Or the longer expression: "no longer needed dependencies"
:-?

Cheers,
Ricardo

Ricardo Cruz

Dec 6, 2010, 1:26:46 PM12/6/10
to yast...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

Okay, tried to tackle both features: give them a try to
see how well they work.

Svn download:
http://en.opensuse.org/YaST2-GTK#Download

I also improved the text-box that shows up listing the
packages as they are being downloaded and installed.
It shouldn't flicker now, and, if the user scrolls up, then
it won't force a scroll down -- essentially the scroll behaves
like the ones from any decent terminal program.
Please give that one a try too: I only tested it on a small
test case.

Atri Bhattacharya

Dec 6, 2010, 2:05:38 PM12/6/10
to yast...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for all the work Ricardo. I can get to testing it only tomorrow though.

Bye

Atri

Atri Bhattacharya

Dec 7, 2010, 12:55:00 PM12/7/10
to yast...@googlegroups.com
Hi!
I am using Revision 62971 from svn. Every time I launch the unneeded packages window from the Extras menu, the package manager crashes on me (whether I run it as root or not). I have attached the strace log for you.

The idea looks perfect to me. I was thinking more along having a category in the category view (left pane), but if the unneeeded packages is only approximate and could lead to problems, I think it is better to make it a little more subtle than that. So the present idea looks just perfect to me.

The action listing in the package manager when it is downloading and installing packages just got a whole lot better! One more improvement can made to that as follows:-
The installation workflow has now been changed to first download all packages then start the installation as against the download one install one as happened earlier. So while downloading packages the progress bar (we have two of those) showing progress with installation is largely useless, ditto for the download progress bar when downloads are complete and installation is in progress. I suggest we try combining thr two progress bars into one that shows the download progress (with package count) when downloading is in progress and the installation progress thereafter. What do you think?

Bye
--
Atri
pack_man.log.tar.bz2

Ricardo Cruz

Dec 8, 2010, 11:40:56 AM12/8/10
to yast...@googlegroups.com
Hi Atri,

Thanks for giving it a try.

Quoting "Atri Bhattacharya" <badsh...@gmail.com>:
> I am using Revision 62971 from svn. Every time I launch the unneeded
> packages window from the Extras menu, the package manager crashes on me
> (whether I run it as root or not). I have attached the strace log for you.

Thanks, but the gdb debugger would be more useful:

gdb --args /usr/lib/YaST2/bin/y2base sw_single gtk
run
(* crash *)
backtrace

That will give us the "call stack", which is the list the system
uses to keep track of all the functions called until that point (and
their arguments).

> The idea looks perfect to me. I was thinking more along having a category in
> the category view (left pane), but if the unneeeded packages is only
> approximate and could lead to problems, I think it is better to make it a
> little more subtle than that. So the present idea looks just perfect to me.

One problem is that it being so slow, we couldn't show the "count number",
as we do for the other categories.

By the way, I don't want to give you false hopes here. In my freshly
installed system, I think the list it is producing is far from reliable. For
instance, for whatever reason, "yast2-pkg-graph" is not being
detected by the resolver as needed by "yast2-pkg". I guess the
reason for that is that it is a "suggested" packaged -- not sure how
to tell it to honor those packages.
I am also seeing some localization packages... I will try to get some
help from the zypp guys...

> The action listing in the package manager when it is downloading and
> installing packages just got a whole lot better! One more improvement can
> made to that as follows:-

Yeah, the progress status is completely broken at the moment.
I think we already discussed that and filled a bug report for that, right?

Anyhow, unlike the text widget, that behavior is outside the scope
of the gtk plugin...