Version box: Atri buttons

Ricardo Cruz

Jan 5, 2011, 6:46:37 PM1/5/11
to yast2-gtk
Hi there,

Atri suggested we use individual buttons for each
version number, under the versions-box, rather than
using radio-buttons and one button at the end.

Here are screenshots of the current look, and the
Atri one:

http://img254.imageshack.us/f/solobutton.png/
http://img204.imageshack.us/f/atributtons.png/

To try Atri's look, follow:
sudo zypper install gcc-c++ cmake gtk2-devel yast2-devtools
yast2-core-devel yast2-libyui-devel libzypp-devel
svn checkout http://svn.opensuse.org/svn/yast/trunk/gtk/ yast2-gtk
cd yast2-gtk
gedit src/pkg/ygtkpkgdetailview.cc
(manually uncomment the ATRI_BUTTONS line:
- //#define ATRI_BUTTONS
+ #define ATRI_BUTTONS
make && sudo make install

------ / / ------

In other news, the Tree yast2 widget now supports
a multi-selection flag: showing a check-box for each
node. Unlikely to be used any time soon though.

I have added a "Selected total: 3" line at the bottom
of that widget, as well as to the multi-selection List
widget. You will be able to see it working in the repositories
tool (under Add -> Community Repositories). It's a
recommendation from the Gnome HIG.

There is also a "Re-install" pop-up option on sw_single
when selecting a package. I was reluctant to add it, because
you rarely need it, and already have the versions-box, but
it has been handy for me, so...

Cheers,
Ricardo

Atri Bhattacharya

Jan 7, 2011, 11:39:46 PM1/7/11
to yast...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ricardo!
I am currently away from my testing machine for a few days, and therefore have not really been able to give it a thorough workout :) However, from the images it seems to me that having the buttons the ATRI way ;) is somewhat a usability win over the current implementation, but I may be biased. What is your opinion on the two setups though?

Bye

Atri

Ricardo Cruz

Jan 8, 2011, 1:38:49 PM1/8/11
to yast...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I think it works out much better than I had pictured it. I'm very happy
about it. One drawback of this approach is that if you want to see, say,
the Description or the Dependencies info of a particular version (other
than the default "candidate"), you need to press the install button for
that version... (there is no way to select it)

I don't know how many users actually want such a feature... And there
are ways to work around it:
* show a combo-box within the Dependencies box for the user to select
the version to show (harder to see how this would out for the
Description text: but that one rarely changes, and unlikely to be
useful.)
* have the version number work more or less like a link (show a hand
cursor when moving over the version text...)

I'm tempted to just upload the new style, and address the situation if
anyone complains (and it's probably unlikely anyone cares).

Cheers,
Ricardo

Atri Bhattacharya

Jan 16, 2011, 1:48:18 AM1/16/11
to yast...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ricardo!
Just tried the ATRI buttons style in the detail-view, and it works great. It is in my opinion a definite improvement over the earlier method. Is this already pushed to openSUSE Factory?

Bye

Cheers,
Ricardo

Atri

Ricardo Cruz

Jan 20, 2011, 3:37:23 PM1/20/11
to yast...@googlegroups.com
Hi Atri,

I wanted to know what you thought before pushing the change. I did a
little of cleanup, and submit it now. It usually takes a few days before
being accepted to Factory.

Cheers,
Ricardo