gtk3 port

Ricardo Cruz

Jul 23, 2011, 1:57:46 PM7/23/11
to yast...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

yast2-gtk has now migrated to the new world of gtk3.

If you guys would like to give it a test before I push it to Factory, go
ahead:

http://en.opensuse.org/YaST2-GTK#Download

Based on our exchange with Maciej, if there is popular demand to see
some aspects of the software manager improved, I could do some hacking
there. I think the main points discussed were:

* align the search entry to the left (to be closer to the packages
name)
* use yast2-qt/synaptic check-boxes
* put the line with the changes and disk size as a small
statusbar; also show something like "To install: 4 | To remove:
2" rather than the very last change.

Have some good holidays!

Cheers,
Ricardo

Jul 23, 2011, 2:09:14 PM7/23/11
to yast...@googlegroups.com

Is there any discussion or thoughts put into merging the new stuff
from the GTK version into the QT one? Some of the changes made in the
GTK version are quite nice, and would improve the workflow in the QT
one too.

C.

Atri Bhattacharya

Jul 23, 2011, 2:42:27 PM7/23/11
to yast...@googlegroups.com
Wow! A big and hearty congratulation to the people who made it happen,
as well as a heartfelt thank you. If it has not already been done, I
will email the openSUSE-gnome mailing list to get some more feedback.
I have just done a quick run of the svn version and am frankly just
happy with how it all fits in with my GNOME 3 desktop. There is just a
minor matter with the update (arrow) buttons and the undo buttons
which do no quite look the part. I have attached screenshots with the
email (google groups closing shop on the "Files" feature was pretty
awful, I think; I am thus forced to just attach these images to the
email with no idea if you can see them when readnig from the group
page).

Once again thanks, and keep up the good work. More feedback coming
your way from me soon.

Bye

> --

Atri

Screenshot-Untitled Window.png
Screenshot-Untitled Window-1.png

Ricardo Cruz

Jul 23, 2011, 3:22:41 PM7/23/11
to yast...@googlegroups.com
Sáb, 2011-07-23 às 20:09 +0200, C escreveu:
> Is there any discussion or thoughts put into merging the new stuff
> from the GTK version into the QT one? Some of the changes made in the
> GTK version are quite nice, and would improve the workflow in the QT
> one too.

Hi,

I don't follow the yast development. I only occasionally do a little
hacking for yast2-gtk because it was something I developed for Summer of
Code. I don't have the time to follow blogs, and "keep in touch".

But it probably makes little sense to improve yast2 with all the efforts
going into yast3, which AFAIK is being developed from the ground-up.

For yast3, I am sure we won't see such aberrations as the software
manager being implemented at the UI plugin layer. The reason why that
was the case in yast2 was because cheating the architecture was easier
than extending the UI layer. But given the extensive architecture in
yast3 (e.g. UI and privileged code go into different modules) such
cheating sound harder to come by. Also, when they came up with yast2,
there were only two UI plugins: ncurses and Qt. I am told they want to
keep a Qt and GTK plugin for yast3, so you'll now have 4 plugins:
ncurses, Qt, GTK and Web. I think it's a safe bet to say they will want
to keep those plugins really thin. ;-)

Speaking of the yast3 web plugin, we may be able to already setup a web
frontend for yast2 using the gtk3 plugin, by using the web plugin
(broadway) for gtk3:
http://blogs.gnome.org/alexl/2011/03/15/gtk-html-backend-update/

Cheers,
Ricardo

Jul 23, 2011, 4:54:39 PM7/23/11
to yast...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 21:22, Ricardo Cruz <rpm...@alunos.dcc.fc.up.pt> wrote:
> But it probably makes little sense to improve yast2 with all the efforts
> going into yast3, which AFAIK is being developed from the ground-up.

Ha... you apparently keep more in touch than I do :-) Somehow I
missed the fact that there was redevelopment going into a yast3. Too
many projects, not enough time.

> keep a Qt and GTK plugin for yast3, so you'll now have 4 plugins:
> ncurses, Qt, GTK and Web. I think it's a safe bet to say they will want
> to keep those plugins really thin. ;-)

That would be nice. I've always hated that the workflow between the
GTK and QT versions was so different (each has its strengths though).
It would be a real improvement to make the underlying tool better and
in effect "skin" it for whatever interface the user prefers.

C.

Ricardo Cruz

Jul 23, 2011, 10:20:47 PM7/23/11
to yast...@googlegroups.com
Hi Atri,

I cannot reproduce that glitch. Does the upgrade button (on the packages
list) show up fine for you?

I don't think it's a sizing issue -- but you could try reducing those
sizes in src/pkg/ygtkcellrendererbutton.c:

- gtk_render_frame (style, cr, x, y, width, height);
+ gtk_render_frame (style, cr, x+2, y+2, width-4, height-4);

Maybe you could also try commenting out the gtk_render_background()
line...

(Don't forget to compile afterwards: make && sudo make install :))

It might have to do with your style: what's your version of
'libgtk-3-0'?
(mine is 3.1.8-2.1 -- I have installed in my VirtualBox the latest
development Milestone ISO...).

Cheers,
Ricardo

Ricardo Cruz

Jul 23, 2011, 10:25:46 PM7/23/11
to yast...@googlegroups.com
By the way, re-run "svn checkout", because it fixes the Dependencies
box, and a couple of other glitches.

Thanks,
Ricardo