Separation and Porting of libYUI

nbprashanth

Apr 21, 2011, 7:25:08 AM4/21/11
to yast...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I have been working on separating and porting libYUI for around two weeks now. I have also applied for GsoC for the same topic. I wanted to update on the current progress of the project. As of now, all the three interfaces have been successfully ported to Ubuntu and have been tested to work. It has not yet been made into a deb package yet, but it will be done soon. The plan is to decouple YUI from YaST so that it can be an independent framework. (See GsoC topic description).

Recent developments can be found here : nbprashanth.wordpress.com

I would like to get some more suggestions on this topic. Like what else can be done and how can YUI be improved...

Regards,
N.B.Prashanth

Martin Vidner

Apr 21, 2011, 8:32:52 AM4/21/11
to yast2-gtk
On 21 dub, 13:25, nbprashanth <nbprash....@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been working on separating and porting libYUI for around two weeks
> now. I have also applied for GsoC for the same topic. I wanted to update on
> the current progress of the project. As of now, all the three interfaces
> have been successfully ported to Ubuntu and have been tested to work. It has
> not yet been made into a deb package yet, but it will be done soon. The plan
> is to decouple YUI from YaST so that it can be an independent framework.
> (See GsoC topic description).

The original project proposal is here:
http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:GSOC_2011_Ideas#Separate_libyui

and I would be the mentor.

Martin

Ricardo Cruz

Jun 17, 2011, 3:22:39 PM6/17/11
to yast...@googlegroups.com, nbprashanth
Hi there,

I only read your email now. Been piling up emails for awhile now. :)

That sounds very cool. You should announce the project over the other
mailing lists, if you haven't already. This mailing list is pretty
narrow in scope.

I am a fan of Ubuntu, so I am excited to hear about this. Do notice that
the bulk of the porting work is not in porting the libyui component of
yast2, but the SCR agents and that kind of system-specific stuff.

Suggestions? I don't have any suggestions to make: my only suggestion is
not to hear to any suggestion. You have plenty of food in your plate as
it is. :)

Good luck!

Ricardo