Re: Doc Questions about yast2 sw_single --gtk

Ricardo Cruz

Jul 22, 2010, 11:45:25 AM7/22/10
to Tanja Roth, mme...@novell.com, yast...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tanja,

I'm adding our mailing list to the list of destinataries, as it
is composed by people who contributed to the design.

The PDF in question can be found at:
http://groups.google.com/group/yast2-gtk/web/cha.y2.sw-xep.pdf

My replies to the questions embedded in the PDF follow the quoted
message.

Quoting "Tanja Roth" <tar...@suse.de>:
> Hi Ricardo,
>
> I'm currently updating the chapter about YaST2 sw_single that is
> shipped with the openSUSE Reference Guide (usually it is maintained
> by another writer in our team). Thomas Goettlicher told me
> that you are doing the GTK version of the module.
>
> Concerning the docs, I have some questions about the GTK version - would
> you mind checking and answering the 4 questions that are included
> in the attached PDF? Section 3.3. (p. 9-15) deals with the GTK
> version, just search for the keyword "DEVs" to find my questions.
>
> If possible, please let me have your answers (or any further feedback)
> until Monday July 26th (as we would like to hand over the Reference
> Guide to translation next week).
>
> Many thanks in advance!

Quoting the PDF:

> Support
> taroth 2010-07-13: new option- DEVs, what is it for?

Filters packages by support contract.

It doesn't apply to opensuse users. (We will likely be removing
that filter from opensuse in the future. I was actually under the
impression we omitted it already.)

> Instead of updating individual packages, you can also update all
> installed packages or all packages from a certain repository. When
> mass updating packages, the following aspects are generally considered:
> taroth 2010-07-21: DEVs, is the following also true for yast2 sw_single gtk?

Yes. (Bug forbids.)

> taroth 2010-07-21: DEVs: what does the button "Upgrades patches" do
> and what is the difference to "Upgrade All"? which criteria apply in
> selecting
> the package that will replace the former package (how are repository
> priority,
> vendor, architecture, version number weighted?)

The "Upgrade All" button applies to all packages listed under "Upgradable".
"Upgrade Patches" applies only to those packages for which an official patch
has been issued. Those packages will have a "patch" tag next to their version
number.
That feature is equivalent to going to the "online update" tool and
update all
patches from there.

If no patches have been issued (since the user last applied them),
the "upgrade
patches" button will be disabled.

I don't think there is anything relevant to say about
repository/version order.

> On the right hand side of the window, click Switch system packages
> to the versions in this repository
> taroth 2010-07-21: DEVs, after clicking, the option changes to "Undo"
> - how long is the undo option available? until the user clicks the "Apply"
> button to start the update process? .
> taroth 2010-07-21: DEVs, is the following correct? All installed packages
> will be replaced by packages deriving from this repository, if available.
> This may lead to changes in vendor and architecture and even to
> downgrading some packages.

Whatever Thomas replies applies to the gtk plugin. This command is
processed by the underlying zypp layer.

But no. No changes are applied until the user actually presses the Apply
button. So, if he pressed the Switch button, he can review what packages
will be installed in the summary window. The all operation can be revoked at
any time by pressing the Undo button (the one next to the Switch button).

As you say, the repository priority will be ignored momentarily if you
press this button. That's presumably the user's intention.

There may be vendor and architecture change, depending on repository
policy. One repository may build their packages for i586, while another for
the i686 instruction set. It's probably suffice to say that the user should be
aware of that when configuring her list of repositories.

Cheers,
Ricardo