Java/clojure interop

Dieter Van Eessen

Apr 18, 2020, 2:41:37 PM4/18/20
to yami4
Hello Maciej Sobczak,

First of all: thanks for the quick reply on my last question.

Some new questions:
- I notice Java is no longer added in Yami4 v1.12. It is
  still available in v1.10. Are there any gotcha's when communicating
  between java client and python server (or other way around)?
- I read in the book that 'concurrent modifications of parameter
  objects should be avoided'. Am I correct when stating parameter
  objects are mutable?

kind regards,
Dieter Van Eessen

Message has been deleted

Dieter Van Eessen

Apr 19, 2020, 3:12:45 AM4/19/20
to yami4
Can a yami agent also be used to communicate with servers using different protocols? (eg. http)
Or is this not possible because yami uses its own wire protocol designed to send/receive parameter objects?

kind regards,
Dieter

Ricardo Aguirre

Apr 19, 2020, 2:53:18 PM4/19/20
to ya...@googlegroups.com
Hi I don't use yami4 for a few years but I think these are the answers:

Il giorno dom 19 apr 2020 alle ore 02:12 Dieter Van Eessen <dieter.v...@gmail.com> ha scritto:
Can a yami agent also be used to communicate with servers using different protocols? (eg. http)
yes it can
Or is this not possible because yami uses its own wire protocol designed to send/receive parameter objects?
No, it doesn't
I told Maciej the need to use IDL for yami4;
since yami4 has no Macro-compiler in order to send/receive parameters between different objects (compiled for specific, maybe different runtime environments) in each node of distributed environment

For messages, maybe you can give a look to golang

kind regards,
Dieter

On Saturday, April 18, 2020 at 8:41:37 PM UTC+2, Dieter Van Eessen wrote:
Hello Maciej Sobczak,

First of all: thanks for the quick reply on my last question.

Some new questions:
- I notice Java is no longer added in Yami4 v1.12. It is
  still available in v1.10. Are there any gotcha's when communicating
  between java client and python server (or other way around)?
- I read in the book that 'concurrent modifications of parameter
  objects should be avoided'. Am I correct when stating parameter
  objects are mutable?

kind regards,
Dieter Van Eessen

Maciej Sobczak

Apr 19, 2020, 4:39:02 PM4/19/20
to yami4
Hello Dieter,

Some new questions:
- I notice Java is no longer added in Yami4 v1.12. It is
  still available in v1.10. Are there any gotcha's when communicating
  between java client and python server (or other way around)?

No, the protocol is the same, so programs can communicate between languages and versions. For example, a Python3 program using YAMI4 v1.12 can communicate with Java program using YAMI4 v1.10.

- I read in the book that 'concurrent modifications of parameter
  objects should be avoided'. Am I correct when stating parameter
  objects are mutable?

Yes, they are mutable - just don't try to modify them concurrently. The thread-safety rules here are the same as for the standard STL containers.

Regards,

--
Maciej Sobczak * http://www.inspirel.com

Maciej Sobczak

Apr 19, 2020, 4:43:14 PM4/19/20
to yami4
Hi again,

Can a yami agent also be used to communicate with servers using different protocols? (eg. http)
Or is this not possible because yami uses its own wire protocol designed to send/receive parameter objects?

Such communication is not possible. YAMI4 uses its own wire protocol.
It is possible to implement gateways that translate messages between domains or that wrap (or encapsulate) messages of one protocol into another. This however depends on the actual application, because the meaning of data in each protocol is not fixed.

Dieter Van Eessen

Apr 21, 2020, 3:20:18 PM4/21/20
to yami4
Thanks for the responses.