Shifting issues with my 1993 Yamaha Sterndrive 4.3v6 GM Engine

Poole Boy

Aug 8, 2010, 11:46:19 AM8/8/10
to Yamaha Sterndrives
Hi,

I have a 1993/94 Yamaha Sterndrive. I've had shifting issues that seem
to be getting worse. Also I have improved an issue of shutting down
when I was trying to shift into neutral. I made adjustments per the
Yamaha manual and it's better but not perfect. My issue when I shift
out of the water on muffs once I shift it 's quite easy to shift back
and forth. I understand it's from the outdrive not being under load.
When I'm in the water the shifting just doewsn't seem right. It's hard
to get into newtral and seems like I'm forcing the shifter, I seem to
pass newtral (it feels like) and have to shift back a forth a bit.

My question.. how do I go about investigating the root cause of the
problem, I've seeen to post from Cptn Kenn regarding dtilling out the
bushing, I have no problem doing this, but want to make sure I'm not
missing somethign else. Another adjustment? Sticky cable (although the
cable seems smooth out of the water) I've also greesed the cable and
it seemed to have improved things.

Please help,

Thanks,

Bryan

Frank Bernath

Aug 10, 2010, 12:48:44 AM8/10/10
to yamaha-st...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I am having this problem now but i believe the problem is in the adjusment for the shift fork going to
the lower unit. I Thought I had a serious problem with the gimble ring and took it all apart and found I
only had to tighten the nut on the steering arm. I did not make a note where the lock nut was adjusted on the shift fork and I may have adjusted it to far to the forward gear side, and at times I have difficulty shifting to neutral and I have to go to reverse then neutral. Its bad when you talk to local repair shops and nobody has a clue how this is put together so we have to do some trial and error. The adjustment for the
shift fork is actually at the end of the shift cable, it is simple once you have it all apart. If you have any questions feel free to call 4197086695.

Frank