Trim pump

gerritbrusse

Jun 28, 2010, 3:07:15 PM6/28/10
to Yamaha Sterndrives
Is there anything that would prevent me from replacing my trim pump
with a mercruiser trim pump? the relay inputs are similar and from
there it seems like a pump is a pump.

How's my logic here? Arent the hose ends standard? Would there be
any issues with trim limiting?

TheCa...@aol.com

Jun 28, 2010, 3:32:27 PM6/28/10
to yamaha-st...@googlegroups.com
The issue is the fitting are metric where Mercruiser is SAE.  Also Yamaha's pump pressurizes the tank when the drive is down where Mercruiser's tank is vented.  That is why Yamaha says to make sure the drive is up when checking or adding fluid. If the drive is down, you will blow oil out of the tank when you remove the cap.

Jason Garland

Jun 28, 2010, 3:34:00 PM6/28/10
to yamaha-st...@googlegroups.com
and when you blow the oil out of the tank it's really messy... (from experience) ;)