Vision: Sustainability in Art

1 view

mjtr...@gmail.com

Nov 2, 2007, 2:13:04 PM11/2/07
to Yale Office of Sustainability Research Assistants
Hey guys, we all talked about this Vision: Sustainability in Art
project today at the meeting, and there were some really great ideas
floating around. I managed to write some of them down, but please post
any ideas you have about this project here so that we have a record of
them and all that.

- works in a gallery in rotation
- new theme every few months/semester/etc.
- what incentives? (framing the art for free; paying to offset that
student's carbon footprint; exhibitions here and/or in a residential
college; publication in an art book...)
- how will this contest or project work? what will we do? what will we
ask? how will we do it?
- publicity? who is our audience?

& more! Post your thoughts, please.

MJ Truong

Nov 4, 2007, 6:46:00 PM11/4/07
to Office of Sustainability RA Forum
New idea that builds upon something my roommate proposed:

If we were to go with the rotating-by-semester themed prompts (or even
if not), my roommate suggested having auctions to facilitate the
rotation of works. So, we could get artwork, display it in residential
college galleries and then in the office (you can only rent gallery
spaces for so long, right?), and then as incentives for the artists,
their prize will be a portion of the money that their work earns in an
auction (perhaps some should go to charities/sustainability ends and
the rest to the artist?). I feel like artists would be more inclined
to want to participate if there were some monetary incentive. So their
reasons for participating would be:

1. Work gets shown in 2-part exhibition: A. in a residential college
gallery, and B. in the Office of Sustainability.
2. Each exhibition would be published in a high-quality book or
pamphlet (I could take care of that! Or some of it, at least...) which
they would receive.
3. They would get a percentage of whatever their work earns at the
auction, and they could take pride that the rest of the money their
art earned will be going to a good cause.

Potential problems/difficulties:

1. What if no one comes to the auctions? -- We'd have to publicize
really well, target the right audiences, and make it a big deal.
2. What if some works are auctioned off and some are not? Who will buy
these works? An artist would be so disappointed if nobody were to bid
on their work, especially if most other works were sold. ----- Perhaps
they can be bought at a reasonable price by the Office of
Sustainability? Or perhaps donated to a residential college that had
space to display it?

Another random thing: I think the artists should be made to write a
blurb on their piece, in case the applicability to sustainability is
dubious at first glance. That would also help with having content in
the publication.

These suggestions apply mostly to the traditional visual arts --
paintings, sculptures, etc. I'm sure we could think of something to
accommodate other types, if we do decide to accept other types of art.

That's all for now!

MJ

nisa....@yale.edu

Nov 5, 2007, 12:30:46 PM11/5/07
to Office of Sustainability RA Forum
I like the elaboration you have here. In terms of tying in other media
- I wonder if that could be part of the auction process? Perhaps have
a sustainability silent auction night or something, with performances
throughout the evening. Or, there are a couple high-prestige fall
recital competitions for music, but I don't think there are any for
solos for the spring - perhaps we could fill that gap somehow?

> > & more! Post your thoughts, please.- Hide quoted text -

MJ Truong

Nov 5, 2007, 12:40:09 PM11/5/07
to Office of Sustainability RA Forum
That's a really neat idea. Performances at the auction would be really
great. What do you mean by a 'silent auction night'?

nisa....@yale.edu

Nov 9, 2007, 9:50:48 AM11/9/07
to Office of Sustainability RA Forum
A silent auction night would be where the works of art that are on
display would be auctioned off - have you ever been to a silent
auction? - there's paper in front of each work, where people can sign
up with progressively higher bids on an item. The idea is to have more
than just an auction though, which is why I was thinking of
performances, food/drink, perhaps somesort of other fun incentive to
get people to the office (or event, wherever it is). The works then
get sold to the highest bidder. It'd be a way to sell the works,
possibly make more money than we would have just selling things, prior
to the next round of exhibitions. If organized properly it'd also be a
way to get people to come see the art and the office.