Ports to opened in Firewall for yajhfc work perfect

buj...@ot.com.sa

Apr 14, 2016, 8:47:16 AM4/14/16
to yajhfc-user
Hi,

Hello. I have problem with yajhfc. Server connection getting succeed. But not able to fetch FAXs. I have opened 4559 port and ephemeral ports 1024-5000. Still not able to fetch FAXs.

Please suggest what are the ports should be open in server side and client side(Windows remote host).

Thanks in advance

Alexander Moisseev

Apr 14, 2016, 10:09:49 AM4/14/16
to yajhf...@googlegroups.com
The ephemeral ports range depends on exact Windows version (and Service pack). I'm afraid you have to use tcpdump to determine it.

src tcp 1024:4999,49152:65535, dst tcp 4559,5000:65535 works for me.

--
Alexander

buj...@ot.com.sa

Apr 16, 2016, 5:57:56 AM4/16/16
to yajhfc-user
Hi Alexander!

Thanks for your replay. I have tried your suggestions as well.. But still not working. Also I put my server in DMZ(all ports are forwarded) and turned off firewall in my remote windows server 2008 and tried to fetch FAXs, but not succeeded. While I am testing the server test connection, its getting success. And about packet capturing, on what device should I capture?

PS: Am a newbie in these fields.

Alexander Moisseev

Apr 16, 2016, 7:20:35 AM4/16/16
to yajhf...@googlegroups.com
On 16.04.16 12:57, buj...@ot.com.sa wrote:
> Hi Alexander!
>
> Also I put my server in DMZ(all ports are forwarded)
I'm using Hylafax with routed networks, but I've never tried it with NAT. The Hylafax communication protocol is similar to FTP and have the same problems wih NAT. Have you tried to enable passive mode in YajHFC settings?

> And about packet capturing, on what device should I capture?
It depends ... If you are not familiar with FTP, it might be a good start to capture the same session on server and client sides simultaneously and simply compare the results. You can capture using tcpdump or wireshark on the server and client themselves as well as on the router interfaces if it capable of.

buj...@ot.com.sa

Apr 17, 2016, 9:30:10 AM4/17/16
to yajhfc-user
Hi Alexander!

Thanks for your great support. After changing the fetching mode to Active mode everything worked well. I was enabled passive mode previously.

Thanks again for the great support!

buj...@ot.com.sa

Apr 20, 2016, 3:59:40 AM4/20/16
to yajhfc-user
Hello Alexander!

I have another problem while the client and server behind the NAT. I am getting the following error while fetching the FAX.

Error refreshing the status: 500 PORT/EPRT (Active Mode/Extended Active Mode) is not supported. Use PASV/EPSV instead of this

Is there any workaround for the NAT issue that you mentioned before?

Previously, my client was running on a Public server (Not behind NAT) but server behind the NAT. Then the Active mode works perfectly. But in case of both client and Server behind NAT, for passive mode it won't connect. Just keep trying to connect. For Active mode, getting the error mentioned above.

Is there any workaround solution for this? Please suggest if so...

Thanks in advance.

Alexander Moisseev

Apr 20, 2016, 12:49:57 PM4/20/16
to yajhf...@googlegroups.com
On 20.04.2016 10:59, buj...@ot.com.sa wrote:
> Is there any workaround for the NAT issue that you mentioned before?
>
> Previously, my client was running on a Public server (Not behind NAT) but server behind the NAT. Then the Active mode works perfectly. But in case of both client and Server behind NAT, for passive mode it won't connect. Just keep trying to connect. For Active mode, getting the error mentioned above.
> Is there any workaround solution for this? Please suggest if so...

It's impossible with dual NAT, I'm afraid, unless you forward all ports to the HylaFax server on the server side router (1:1 translation) or vice versa forward all ports to the client host on the client side router.

Here is a simple explanation of FTP operation through NAT:
https://enterprisedt.com/products/edtftpjssl/doc/manual/html/howtoftpthroughafilewall.html
I hope it will help.