UTF-8 Text Entry error

zenos mate

Mar 20, 2021, 6:11:13 AM3/20/21
to yad-common

Hello everybody,
We have a problem using yad  with Turkish letters.

sEntryText="Türkçe harfler = ŞĞÜıİÖÇ"
 sPrintOut=$( YAD --entry-text "${sEntryText}" --title "Some UTF-8 Türkçe Text Entry" --entry \
                 --button "Değiştir:0" --button "Bırak:1")

 echo "${sPrintOut}"

# ==> Unable to parse command line: Invalid byte sequence in conversion input

 ..  produces this error and crash..

is the problem related to yad or gtk ?

--Mertcan

Julio C. Neves

Mar 20, 2021, 8:12:19 AM3/20/21
to yad-c...@googlegroups.com
when I change YAD to lowercase, it works fine for me...

Abraços,
Julio
» Não tem tempo para fazer um curso presencial?
» Na sua cidade não tem nenhum bom curso de Linux?

Também damos treinamento em sua empresa
em qualquer cidadecom certificado e nota fiscal.

zenos mate

Mar 20, 2021, 12:03:39 PM3/20/21
to yad-common
hi Julio,
I have forgot to change code..
UPERRCASED "YAD" is mine yad-wrapper for self-compiled-yad-binary..
Problem is persistent in other distros that yad installed via their package managers..

Did you successfully run  this code lines your machine?
If i am alone about utf-8 input-output diffuculties, i have to try another LC_LOCAL things..

-Mertcan

zenos mate

Mar 20, 2021, 8:38:25 PM3/20/21
to yad-common
Hi all, The problem wasn't related neither yad nor gtk..
We changed all machine locales to  "LANG=en_US.UTF-8" and error message disappear..
Apologize for the inconvenience.
--Mertcan

Julio C. Neves

Mar 21, 2021, 9:33:48 AM3/21/21
to yad-c...@googlegroups.com
As I use yad professionally on a large scale, I'm staying on an old stable version, but my language also needs UTF-8.

The environment of my Linux Mint computer is as follows:

$ yad --version
0.39.0 (GTK+ 3.18.9)
$ uname -a
Linux julio-Sam 4.4.0-53-generic #74-Ubuntu SMP Fri Dec 2 15:59:10 UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
$ locale
LANG=pt_BR.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=
LC_CTYPE="pt_BR.UTF-8"