Complete building guide for Xyce 6.12

Mostafa Said

Oct 31, 2021, 8:33:14 PM10/31/21
to xyce-users
Hi

I'd like to downgrade to Xyce 6.12. I wanna use a software package that depends on Xyce 6.12 not newer versions. I wonder if there is a complete building guide for Xyce 6.12 similar to the current this guide https://xyce.sandia.gov/documentation/BuildingGuide.html.

Thanks

satya...@gmail.com

Nov 1, 2021, 3:31:24 PM11/1/21
to xyce-users
You should be able to get the source code and install guide from https://xyce.sandia.gov/downloads/releases.html

Mostafa Said

Nov 1, 2021, 3:38:13 PM11/1/21
to xyce-users
thanks for the reply
yes I could do that earlier but the install guide there in the package is not detailed like the one on the website, for example, does not show dependcies and what should be installed and what version, etc
although I could do install Xyce 6.12 serial and test it with the same guide but I did not install all the dependencies mentioned in the current building guide (some of them was enough)
also I found that bison should be version 3.4 or less (I think until 3.2 but not sure) and the newest version of bison 3.5 was not acceptable
finally the Xyce_regression 6.12 package does not come with the suggestXyceTagList.sh script so I used the one from Xyce _regression 7.3 and it worked

xyce-users

Nov 1, 2021, 3:57:18 PM11/1/21
to xyce-users
The Xyce team does not maintain support for old versions of Xyce. 6.12 is quite old.  We simply do not have the staffing to support more than the current version.  If you build that old version you're on your own for using it.

You can always find old information like this using the "Wayback Machine" web site:  https://archive.org/web/    Find a version of the site that they've archived from between Xyce 6.12 and Xyce 7.0 and you should find the appropriate building guide.  There have not been many changes in the build procedure since then, and where there are changes it's mostly been to require more dependencies or drop support for older compilers.  You can make 6.12 use later versions of Bison if you know what to tweak--- there are examples of what needs to change in recent (closed) Github issue reports.

What third-party software package are you using that requires such an old version of Xyce?

Mostafa Said

Nov 1, 2021, 4:23:08 PM11/1/21
to xyce-users
thanks for the reply and adding more information
>What third-party software package are you using that requires such an old version of Xyce?
it is called PACT, here is the git link https://github.com/peaclab/PACT

Best Regards;
Mostafa Abdelrehim, PhD
Assistant Professor, California State University at Bakersfield
Department of Computer and Electrical Engineering

Dark Ages 1001 Inventions!

 The Meaning Of Life in Islam - worth watching