Use OpenVAF instead of ADMS to implement Verilog-A support ?

weiji

Feb 21, 2023, 12:00:51 AM2/21/23
to xyce-users
OpenVAF is a Next-Generation Verilog-A compiler. It is open source and provides state-of-the-art Verilog-A support. Recent releases of NGspice have implemented OpenVAF integration and started replacing ADMS. OpenVAF showed better performance in some tests. Is it possible for Xyce to support Verilog-A model by using OpenVAF instead of ADMS? What are the differences and difficulties in the implementation?

xyce-users

Feb 21, 2023, 1:04:54 AM2/21/23
to xyce-users

Thanks for your interest.  We are aware of OpenVAF and have had some interactions with the OpenVAF team.  As part of that interaction we provided some feedback to their OSDI interface.   We'd like to get it working with Xyce but we haven't had time to make that happen yet.

So to answer your question,  yes, it should be possible to make it work.

At an abstract level our needs would be very similar to nearly any other circuit simulator and I would imagine the work required would also be similar.  At a more detailed level, Xyce's data structures and device API are a bit different than SPICE-derived codes.  So we'd need to implement our own OSDI support.

thanks,
Eric

Murat H Eskiyerli

Feb 21, 2023, 4:31:55 AM2/21/23
to xyce-users
I think it also allows Verilog-A support without requiring GCC is also an important consideration. Verilog-A would also be usable on Windows boxes.

Murat H Eskiyerli

Feb 22, 2023, 12:07:50 PM2/22/23
to xyce-users
Hi, Markus from SemiMod/OpenVAF team here.

As mentioned we did have some very productive exchanges on the OSDI interface with the Xyce team.
I believe the Xyce integration is very doable, in fact, we studied both Xyce and Ngspice interfaces during
development.
I sincerely hope that either Xyce Devs at Sandia or SemiMod can find funding for this integration.

And yes: OpenVAF removes GCC dependency, and you will likely see a significant speed-up of the models compared to ADMS.
This is because we employ some neat compiler techniques to remove any unnecessary operations.

Mehmet Cirit

Feb 22, 2023, 2:35:04 PM2/22/23
to Markus Müller, xyce-users
Google should be able to provide some funding, along with the compact modeling group. Did you contacted them?

--

Dr. Mehmet A. Cirit                    Phone:  (408) 647-6025
Library Technologies, Inc.        Cell:       (408) 647-6025

Mehdi Saligane

Feb 23, 2023, 6:19:26 PM2/23/23
to Markus Müller, xyce-users, Boris Murmann, Ken Kundert, Alessandro Piovaccari, Rob Mains, Christian Enz (christian.enz@epfl.ch), Tim “mithro” Ansell
Hi Marcus, Eric and all -

Sorry for hijacking this thread.

Thanks for all the work. We have invited Ken and Alessandro to our next AWG meetings (28th Feb and next).
So please make sure to attend.

Thanks
Mehdi

On Thu, Feb 23, 2023 at 2:35 PM Markus Müller <metro...@gmail.com> wrote:
I did have a few conversations with Google on this topic and asked for funding. Unfortunately, I am not sure if they want to fund this.
At least so far, nothing has happened. But I am still positive, we are just at the beginning.

Once we have PDKs with advanced models coming, the need for an ADMS replacement will be seen by others.
Attached are two of our recent presentations for your interest.

--
Mehdi Saligane
Assistant Research Scientist