Revolution EDA preview release is out

Murat H Eskiyerli

Dec 14, 2021, 10:29:04 AM12/14/21
to xyce-users
Dear All,

Revolution EDA using Xyce as the circuit simulator is out as a preview release. It is packaged as Docker image to allow easy and uniform installation on Windows, Linux and Mac computers.

This release includes:
  1. Glade schematic and layout editors.
  2. Xyce circuit simulator including direct access to AC, TRAN, HB, NOISE and DC analyses. SP analyses will be added soon.
  3. Revolution EDA Waveform plotter with a notebook interface.
  4. GCC and ADMS for inclusion of Verilog-a behavioural models.
  5. Revolution EDA Verilog-a model importer and symbol generator.
  6. Example Sky130 process symbols with callback functions.
  7. Example Sky130 process layout parametric cells.
  8. Example Sky130 process substrate taps and vias.
  9. Revolution EDA simulation GUI including:
    1. Point-and-click drawing of waveforms
    2. More than 20 performance parameters related to AC, TRAN, NOISE and HB analyses.
    3. Sweep of circuit parameters in steps or by choosing particular values.
    4. The order of sweeps can be changed.
    5. Process corners in the model libraries can be chosen.
    6. Node voltages, currents, some element values and small-signal parameters can be saved to be plotted after each simulation run.
    7. Simulation options such as transient integration methods, etc can be changed.
Docker image is accessible at:

Setup files and installation manuals can be found at revEDAsetup Github repository:

There is a also a user manual, not yet complete, in the same repository.

The preview release is licensed until 31-05-2021 without limitations.

If you encounter any problems in the installation or use of the Revolution EDA, please open an issue in the Github repository. Please also do not hesitate to send me any positive or negative feedback to me.

Murat Eskiyerli

Marcel Hendrix

Dec 15, 2021, 12:17:07 PM12/15/21
to xyce-users
>  The preview release is licensed until 31-05-2021 without limitations.

You mean 31-05-2022 ?

Murat Eskiyerli

Dec 15, 2021, 5:46:13 PM12/15/21
to Marcel Hendrix, xyce-users
Yes, you are right. It is licensed until 31-05-2022. Thanks for the sharp eyes😀️

Vincent Pinon

Dec 16, 2021, 8:23:32 AM12/16/21
to xyce-...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

It is not clear to me : what parts of this environment are open-source, which are not ?

For example Glade was "free software" (https://peardrop.co.uk/uncategorized/glade-licensing/) with "free"="gratis" but not "libre" (I can't find any source code)

Thanks,

Vincent

Le 12/15/21 à 23:46, Murat Eskiyerli a écrit :
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "xyce-users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/xyce-users/93c940c0c226be65f72bd67b20aa35b721737047.camel%40gmail.com.

Murat Eskiyerli

Dec 16, 2021, 10:04:53 AM12/16/21
to Vincent Pinon, xyce-users
Dear Vincent,

Licensing of components of Revolution EDA:
  1. Glade: Not free, not open-source
  2. Xyce: free, open-source
  3. RevEDA Simulation GUI: Not free, not open-source
  4. Plot GUI: free, open-source (based on wxmplot)
  5. Parametric layout cells for Sky130: free, not-open source.
Revolution EDA is an attempt to build a complete custom IC design flow that is based on what is available and filling the gaps as needed. In a world where starting a semiconductor company means that you need to budget for around at least for around 80k$ per year per seat in licence fees,  at least 10x decrease with a supported solution could be a real alternative, IMHO.

I just saw a picture of the new Cadence CEO. He looked very happy and content and he should be. His company is raking in 1 billion USD net income for 3 billion USD sales. Their custom IC design software has not really changed for the last thirty years. I don't think there is any other company probably other than Microsoft and Oracle that can make the same claim. Even they have to compete with much cheaper alternatives.

Regarding the open-source angle, there is the fact a lot of open-source software coders are actually getting paid to do that. I am not.

Revolution EDA is not a static target. I think the beauty is that the scripting language is Python, which opens up the possibility of rapid-software development.

Regards,

Murat

--
Dr Murat H Eskiyerli, CEng, MIET

camer...@gmail.com

Dec 16, 2021, 9:50:33 PM12/16/21
to xyce-users

There is plenty of scope to disrupt EDA with open source (and AI), an accurate circuit simulator for verifying results is key to making it happen.

If anyone wants to make money with Xyce I have a couple of patents that can be leveraged to help.

Other projects of interest -