Communication between FreeRTOS guests

Zois Tasoulas

Jan 18, 2021, 1:45:52 PM1/18/21
to Xvisor Devel
    Hi all,

   I would like to have two FreeRTOS guests communicating within
Xvisor, ideally through UDP. Has someone implemented socket
communication through for FreeRTOS guests? Could I get some guidance on
porting FreeRTOS-Plus-UDP for vexpress-a9, since NetworkInterface.c does
not exist for FreeRTOS 9.0.0.

   Are there alternatives for inter-guest communication for FreeRTOS
guests?

      Kind regards,
                  Zois Tasoulas

Anup Patel

Jan 19, 2021, 11:00:07 PM1/19/21
to Xvisor Devel
Hi,

Xvisor support two types of inter-guest communication methods:
1) Virtual networking between guests using Xvisor packet switching
For example, two guests having virtual NICs (such as VirtIO Net)
and netports of both Guests connected to same netswitch
2) Shared memory between guests
For example, two guests having a shared memory and use
VirtIO RPMSG for inter-guest door-bell

For RTOS, I suggest option#2 above is much simpler and faster
approach but requires custom inter-guest protocol on top of shared
memory whereas option#1 is a time-tested approach but requires
networking TCP/IP stack and network drivers.

Regards,
Anup