Arm64

stuarti...@thursbygarden.org

Aug 21, 2017, 3:15:57 PM8/21/17
to XtreemFS
Is there anything in the pipeline for Arm64 repos?

Robert Schmidtke

Aug 22, 2017, 2:25:08 AM8/22/17
to XtreemFS, stuarti...@thursbygarden.org
Hi,

we're currently not building arm64 packages. However I think that it should be possible to build XtreemFS from sources: http://www.xtreemfs.org/xtfs-guide-1.5.1/index.html#tth_sEc3.1.3
What platform are you targeting?

Cheers
Robert

christoph...@gmail.com

Feb 15, 2018, 11:00:00 AM2/15/18
to XtreemFS
Hello,
is there a plan to upgrade to postbuf > 2.5.0 ? I'm trying to build 1.6.0.5 on arm64, no success as only postbuf > 2.5.0 has arm support. I've changed most configurations to postbuf 2.6.1 which compiles under arm, but not sure if this is really working at the end.

Do  I need the same postbuf version on all clients ?

Christoph

Robert Schmidtke

Feb 15, 2018, 11:34:06 AM2/15/18
to XtreemFS
Hi Christoph,

Protobuf 2.6.1 doesn't sound like too much of a jump in version numbers from 2.5.0, so my guess is that it should work. I have created a branch in my fork to quickly test that: https://github.com/robert-schmidtke/xtreemfs/tree/protobuf-2.6.1
It compiles fine on my system (no arm though), and I'm running the core test sets at the moment to see if everything checks out properly. If they run through, I'd say 2.6.1 should be good to go (I'll come back to you on that).

As for your second question, I'd recommend all clients use the same protobuf version. I'm aware of incompatibilities between 2.x and 3.x, not sure about 2.5 and 2.6. It might work, it might not. If it's under your control I'd recommend you enforce 2.6.1

Cheers
Robert

Robert Schmidtke

Feb 15, 2018, 12:27:38 PM2/15/18
to XtreemFS
So I built XtreemFS from my fork/branch and ran the major test sets without any issues. From my point of view, go ahead and build it as well, protobuf does not seem to cause issues here.
Also we gladly appreciate feedback and experiences concerning your arm setup!

Cheers
Robert

christoph...@gmail.com

Feb 16, 2018, 3:47:06 AM2/16/18
to XtreemFS
your fork builds successfull on amr64 (pine rock64 board). I've used the client for tests until now, this is working (with protobuf 2.5.0 at server end). Will test the server components next, but this can last some time.

Robert Schmidtke

Feb 16, 2018, 2:34:04 PM2/16/18
to XtreemFS
fyi this is the successful build on travis for the fork: https://travis-ci.org/robert-schmidtke/xtreemfs/builds/342430910

christoph...@gmail.com

Feb 16, 2018, 3:23:26 PM2/16/18
to XtreemFS
If someone ist interested:
https://ufile.io/o075a (will last around 30 days)

build for debian stretch for arm64 (tar.gz, current git)