I want to learn more about Xtreemfs source code, such as OSD、Flease

bg_...@aliyun.com

Dec 5, 2018, 2:03:14 AM12/5/18
to XtreemFS
I am a student and I want to learn Xtreemfs in depth and understand his source code and working mechanism. Debugging the source code on IDEA, I really can't learn the key points, so I hope you can help me and guide me!

Thank you for your precious time

Bgzyy

Robert Schmidtke

Dec 6, 2018, 3:33:59 AM12/6/18
to XtreemFS
Hi,

as you noticed, XtreemFS is not a trivial project. In fact, many researchers have contributed, and as a result the source code may not be of a quality you might expect from say, enterprise-level software.

They will invoke main classes in java/xtreemfs-servers (DIR, MRC, OSD), which you can then trace.
The cpp/ directory contains the client and fuse mount, which communicate via RPC/protobuf with the server components.
For flease consider the paper available, along with plenty of other documentation, on the XtreemFS website: http://www.xtreemfs.org/publications/flease_paper_ipdps.pdf

If you encounter anything specific, please come back with more questions. As for this general inquiry, the above is all that I can give you, as a general introduction to the source code would take too much time.
Thanks for understanding and good luck with your studies!

Cheers
Robert

bg_...@aliyun.com

Dec 6, 2018, 8:19:52 PM12/6/18
to XtreemFS

在 2018年12月5日星期三 UTC+8下午3:03:14,bg_...@aliyun.com写道:
I am a student and I want to learn Xtreemfs in depth and understand his source code and working mechanism. Debugging the source code on IDEA, I really can't learn the key points, so I hope you can help me and guide me!

Thank you for your precious time

Bgzyy

Hello there,
Thank you for your valuable comments. I will try to learn according to what you said. If I have problems, I will ask again.

Cheers
Bgzyy