hacking / bof at UC?

Henrik Ingo

Mar 29, 2011, 4:48:42 PM3/29/11
to xtrabackup-mgr, Lachlan Mulcahy
What is your schedule for the user conference?

I think this project is active and interesting enough that a BoF might
be a good idea. Gives people an opportunity to come talk and ask
questions, even if we don't yet have a proper presentation or
anything.

I registered 2 MepSQL BoFs, but now that Drizzle is really GA I've
been considering to let go of at least one of those. I think XBM is
much more relevant for now.

Another thing is that I will be in Santa Clara on Monday 11th, but
didn't at least yet book any of the tutorials. If you are available, a
useful way to spend time good be to sit together somewhere and work on
XBM face to face?

henrik

--
henri...@avoinelama.fi
+358-40-5697354 skype: henrik.ingo irc: hingo

My LinkedIn profile: http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=9522559

Lachlan Mulcahy

Mar 29, 2011, 5:47:59 PM3/29/11
to Henrik Ingo, xtrabackup-mgr
Hey Henrik,

On 29/03/2011, at 1:48 PM, Henrik Ingo wrote:

> What is your schedule for the user conference?

I am scheduled to be at the conference for Mon-Thu and I am registered for the following tutorials on Monday:

Morning: Linux & H/W Optimizations for MySQL
Afternoon: InnoDB & XtraDB Architecture and Performance Optimization

> I think this project is active and interesting enough that a BoF might
> be a good idea. Gives people an opportunity to come talk and ask
> questions, even if we don't yet have a proper presentation or
> anything.
>
> I registered 2 MepSQL BoFs, but now that Drizzle is really GA I've
> been considering to let go of at least one of those. I think XBM is
> much more relevant for now.

That could be a good idea - although I'm thinking that perhaps we'd need to get the BoF session promoted somehow.

We (or I) could of course announce it on PlanetMySQL via blog, perhaps see if any of the Percona guys speaking might not mind giving it a plug...

When are the BoFs scheduled for? How would we go about getting one going?

> Another thing is that I will be in Santa Clara on Monday 11th, but
> didn't at least yet book any of the tutorials. If you are available, a
> useful way to spend time good be to sit together somewhere and work on
> XBM face to face?

That actually sounds really cool. I'd love to do something like that - I guess I'll have to figure out where I really want to spend my time this year!

hrmm...

Lachlan

Henrik Ingo

Mar 29, 2011, 6:10:45 PM3/29/11
to xtrabac...@googlegroups.com, Lachlan Mulcahy
On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 12:47 AM, Lachlan Mulcahy
<lachlan...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I registered 2 MepSQL BoFs, but now that Drizzle is really GA I've
>> been considering to let go of at least one of those. I think XBM is
>> much more relevant for now.
>
> That could be a good idea - although I'm thinking that perhaps we'd need to get the BoF session promoted somehow.
>
> We (or I) could of course announce it on PlanetMySQL via blog, perhaps see if any of the Percona guys speaking might not mind giving it a plug...
>
> When are the BoFs scheduled for? How would we go about getting one going?

http://en.oreilly.com/mysql2011/public/schedule/stype/BoF

I will just email them and ask to change the content for one of those
that I already have. (Probably will ask to remove the other one too.)

>> Another thing is that I will be in Santa Clara on Monday 11th, but
>> didn't at least yet book any of the tutorials. If you are available, a
>> useful way to spend time good be to sit together somewhere and work on
>> XBM face to face?
>
> That actually sounds really cool. I'd love to do something like that - I guess I'll have to figure out where I really want to spend my time this year!

Let's think about it. Otoh, we can do development from our offices.
The BoF might already be good f2f time.

It's easy for me to fill the Monday with activities too, so... (But
again, if we decide to do it, let's decide in advance so this too can
be announced.)