XTF with TEI/ALTO and METS Files

Jérémy HERRANT

Feb 28, 2011, 2:56:56 AM2/28/11
to XTF Developer list
Hello,
I have to set up the indexing engine XTF file types with TEI, ALTO and
METS to publish online books from the Renaissance.
XTF engine has already been established some time ago, but not by
myself, and at first I would like to know if it's possible to put
modified files in an older version of XTF to a most recent version?
In a second time, I think it is possible to implement these 3 types of
files in XTF, but I don't find any help about that. Would it be
possible to have more information on this?
Finally, do you know any software or open source application to create
these 3 types of files?

Thank you

Martin Haye

Feb 28, 2011, 7:43:26 PM2/28/11
to xtf-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Jérémy,

1. Yes, we make the "core" of XTF, that is all the Java code, strictly
backward compatible, so you can upgrade it at any time. Everything in the
"xtf-core.zip" file is safe.

Stylesheets and configuration files (which will have been extensively
modified for your system) are not part of that zip file. If you want to
incorporate changes to those, you'll need to diff and merge as you would
with any other source code.

2. In general XTF can support any data in XML, that's the beauty of it.
Everything can be configured by programming the stylesheets. XTF doesn't
come with that support in the example stylesheets, so your predecessors must
have written it.

3. Sadly I can't help here. I don't work with creating content directly.
Perhaps you could address this last question to the xtf-users list and
somebody else might be able to help.

Best regards,
--Martin

Stuart A. Yeates

Feb 28, 2011, 8:42:46 PM2/28/11
to xtf-...@googlegroups.com
With regard to TEI files, there are many opens source alternatives,
but perhaps the best is the web service at
http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/oxgarage/ that does conversion.

cheers
stuart