Servlet Error: Exact queries only support plain terms

John Davison

Jul 22, 2013, 12:13:09 PM7/22/13
to xtf-...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

I've inherited an XTF installation serving up about 5,000 Finding Aids in EAD format. I've recently encountered a problem where certain hyperlinks created for search results return the error "Exact queries only support plain terms." I believe this is a result of unencoded text in the indexing terms, specifically question marks (?) in date ranges (e.g. 1193?-1280).

When these items are returned by a subject search, they create hyperlinks with unencoded question marks in the link.

An example:
Guide to the Collection of relics and reliquaries
University of Dayton
http://ead.ohiolink.edu/xtf-ead/view?docId=ead/ODaU0029.xml

If any of these indexed terms are search for, the resulting hyperlink contains a question mark. Removing the question mark creates a valid link.

http://ead.ohiolink.edu/xtf-ead/search?keyword=Albertus%2C+Magnus
http://ead.ohiolink.edu/xtf-ead/search?subject=Albertus,%20Magnus,%20Saint,%201193?-1280;subject-join=exact;smode=simple;rmode=none;style=;brand=default

Here's the same problem on a Berkeley.edu site, but the offending unencoded character is a quote mark (") from a title search.

http://sunsite2.berkeley.edu:8088/xtf/search?subject=Northwestern%20University%20Centennial%20Conference%20-%20"Problems%20of%20An%20Aging%20Population&subject-join=exact&smode=simple&rmode=irle3&style=&brand=default

Deleting the quote mark (") from the URL will return a valid result set.

Any insight into this problem is very welcome,

-John Davison