XTF development

Christophe Guillotel-Nothmann

Jun 6, 2019, 6:21:04 PM6/6/19
to XTF Developer list

Hi all,

Thanks to XTF developers for this really powerful and highly adaptable framework that I have been using since 2012.

Here is my question: why did the development of this framework stopped with version 3.1. in 2013? Are there currently any plans to release a version 4.0  or a more modest version 3.2. that was announced in 2013?

All best,

Christophe

Martin Haye

Jun 6, 2019, 6:30:02 PM6/6/19
to xtf-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Christophe,

CDL has historically been the main developer of XTF. And here at CDL, there have been two main reasons for the lack of XTF development.

First, several of our projects have moved to other search and display stacks (e.g. eScholarship uses CloudSearch and a React+Ruby stack; Calisphere is using ElasticSearch and a Django stack). So, we've had less internal need to add features to XTF, or revise the default stylesheets, and thus less resources for XTF devel.

Second, XTF keeps on doing basically what it needs to do for the projects on which we still need it. These are mainly EAD (finding aid) projects nowadays. It is a little rusty, but still quite functional and has every prospect of remaining so with maybe a tweak here or there.

If somebody would like to jump in and become a committer and put out XTF 3.2, I think there'd be a lot of enthusiasm both here and amongst the other users in the community.

--Martin

BT

Jun 6, 2019, 9:22:16 PM6/6/19
to XTF Developer list
To elaborate slightly on Martin's post and give my own perspective,

There are also some hard practical problems.

Essentially, the way I understand it, XTF can be seen as an integration between Saxon and lucene.

As Saxon and lucene had version upgrades, a lot of very tight coupling between these libraries would need to be re-done to upgrade these to newer versions in XTF, essentially a big re-write.  We are sort of stuck on an old lucene and an old saxon.

Also, Saxon had a license change that makes integration with the newer versions impractical.

Also, the main branch of XTF is pretty stable, and the last update was May 8, 2017.  For my main XTF project (the online archive of california) I keep my own branch and then merge in the changes from upstream from time-to-time.

(FWIW, Calisphere actually uses solr, Nuxeo and dpla use elasticsearch)

Thanks -- Brian