RE: God I havent posted here in forever.

Sven Constable

Feb 22, 2022, 1:43:18 PM2/22/22
to xsi_...@googlegroups.com

Since it’s quite silent in here I’m happy to hear anything.

Sven

Feb 22, 2022, 2:16:12 PM2/22/22
to 'Walter Volbers' via Softimage Mailing List
It is a scary place to be, still using Softimage, not transferring to another software.  I think about all the time.

Isis Hathor

Feb 22, 2022, 2:24:15 PM2/22/22
to xsi_...@googlegroups.com
Hi!
after a littl less two years of research (documentation on extraterrestrial civilisations) i am glad to have starting drawing the storyboard..
be patient its a very detailed complex project..
I am excited by the new tools that i see appear on the market.. sometimes free is more handsome than capitalist corporation software .. but thats of little importance.. i will use softimage 2015sp2. and corel painter 2022. its been a long time since i have paid attention to the s-i community or the facebook group. i am sure something wonderful and not lunatic will happen soon that includes a new softimage tool with another name and provenance .. lets enjoy our talks in this group for a while..
Cheers happy2022
Mathyas

Hirazi Blue

Feb 22, 2022, 2:41:55 PM2/22/22
to Softimage Mailing List
Well, in case you all forgot: the si-community is still around: http://www.si-community.com/community/index.php
The "local backup" of the Resources section over at si-community.com,
formerly known as rray.de, is still the best place to find all those nifty addo ns: http://www.si-community.com/community/resources.php

John Richard

Feb 22, 2022, 10:29:37 PM2/22/22
to Softimage Mailing List

Yes Thanks Hiraz Thanks for keeping that going. I would not be able to continue with XSI if not for those resources. @phil it wouldnt hurt to start dabbling in other software like Blender Houdini or gulp even Maya. I was going to do this project in Maya but kept getting pissed off. Now in XSI and not pissed off.

phil harbath

Feb 23, 2022, 6:51:35 AM2/23/22
to 'Walter Volbers' via Softimage Mailing List
I have taken some time learning the basics of Houdini for the simulation and mograph aspects.  It is a very slow going journey for sure, as I am mostly very busy doing paid stuff.  But I really need a character animation program that is at least or mostly as good as Softimage and I don't think Houdini is going to cut it.

talent103

Feb 28, 2022, 10:09:28 PM2/28/22
to Softimage Mailing List
@ Phil       Maya may be your best choice with character animation.  Its more clunky than softimage and you will need a plug in for enveloping but It will get the Job done.

phil harbath

Mar 1, 2022, 8:08:36 AM3/1/22
to 'Walter Volbers' via Softimage Mailing List
Thanks, what is the name of the enveloping plugin.  Also, what do you use for the rig.  I am quite happy with the original  GEAR I have been using, I realize there is a version for Maya, I am not sure it is as straight forward, I have peaked only at it.   I really would like something that is able to easily create both bipeds and quad alike.

PHil

36e68f15-40d6-47dd-9169-368d843df34f

Gregor Punchatz

Mar 1, 2022, 10:50:33 AM3/1/22
to xsi_...@googlegroups.com
Mgear has come a long way, very very solid system. It’s very flexible, and has an eye to the future.

Advanced Skeleton is really awesome as well, and it’s face setup is really great for what it is.

I tend to use advance skeleton just because I know it a little better… And it face set up is so good.

--
Gregor Punchatz
Eevolver VFX/CG Director

phil harbath

Mar 1, 2022, 12:17:27 PM3/1/22
to 'Walter Volbers' via Softimage Mailing List
thanks, does Maya have some sort of Gator equivalent,  I tend to make a rig (gear) find when enveloping I made a mistake or missed something, and have to rerun gear to make the rig, envelope then use Gator to get the weights back (mostly).

phil
adaf5242-9765-4738-ae0c-e55b1e7dff44

John Richard

Mar 2, 2022, 11:07:49 PM3/2/22
to Softimage Mailing List
No Gator. I asked about this in the Maya beta group a while ago. I got about 10 different steps to do what gator does but no single tool that does it. You have to do each step in the Gator process. I was trying to find that thread but couldn't. Probably from 2014.

John Richard

Mar 2, 2022, 11:11:33 PM3/2/22
to Softimage Mailing List
@Phil   Here is the thread from the Forum

John Richard

Mar 2, 2022, 11:13:40 PM3/2/22
to Softimage Mailing List
Just in case you cant access. Gator in Maya a freaking headache like all of Maya
"Transfer attributes is one part of it in Maya, copy Weights is another there are a few tools that you can use in combination to get close, GATOR does a lot of things though so being specific to how you use it will help get some detailed responses beyond what I have mentioned."

John Richard

Mar 2, 2022, 11:15:38 PM3/2/22
to Softimage Mailing List
You would think that if they can do all those steps they would have combined all that into one too.  8 years later and Crickets.

phil harbath

Mar 3, 2022, 8:08:13 AM3/3/22
to 'Walter Volbers' via Softimage Mailing List
I appreciate the response, thank you.  This will definitely be helpful.