Strand resolution, what is the best solution?

Darren Macpherson

Mar 5, 2012, 3:59:31 AM3/5/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hello everyone,

I know this topic has come up a number of time, so everyone is probably bored to death with it by now.  Never the less I'm going to bring it up again, don't hate me.

I have picked up on a job where I'm using a few strand tool created in ICE that were developed before I started.  I have been looking into previous mail on the list as to how people have gone about resolving stepping and resolution issues when it comes to strands.  It seems like there are a number of ways to tackle the issue, I was wondering what work flow people have found works best.

I have looked into Melena's Resample Strands, Kristinka's Subdivide Strands, a Digital Tutors solution as well as few others.  Grahame Fuller posted a compound awhile back on the list that uses Fitted Bezier Curve compound out of Phil's ICE Pack, but I cant seem to find the compound Grahame posted.  He also noted that it ignores StrandOrientation and StrandVelocity which makes me a bit hesitate to use that solution.

I assumed that anything regarding re-sampling strands would be plugged in right at the end of the ICE tree.  Everything I've tried so far has resulted in me breaking the ICE tree or particle exploding and not behaving as they should.  It could well be my limited experience with ICE or that I lack the understanding of what the tools I have been give are doing.  I know its hard to answer what I'm asking without seeing the set-up I am working with but I was hoping people could point me in the right direction based on there experience of what has worked for them in production.

Any tips would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Darren

 --

darren macpherson | 3d artist | +27 72 355 0924 | www.darrenmacpherson.com | dar...@darrenmacpherson.com | skype: darren.macpherson

Fabricio Chamon

Mar 5, 2012, 10:04:30 AM3/5/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hi Darren,

I didn't see Grahame's compound, but here's a close approach (if not the same).
It's a very simple compound, does not take into account StrandOrientation/StrandVelocity either.
resample_strands_icetree.jpg
resample_strands_result.jpg
Resample Strands by Bezier.xsicompound

Fabricio Chamon

Mar 5, 2012, 2:31:54 PM3/5/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
...and here's an updated version that handles strandvelocity and strandorientation as well.
Resample Strands by Bezier.xsicompound

Darren Macpherson

Mar 6, 2012, 2:10:26 AM3/6/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
[

Wow!  Thanks Fabricio!  I'll give it a try this morning once.  Thank you for replying, your time and for sharing.

Cheers

Darren

--
darren macpherson | 3d artist | +2772 355 0924 | www.darrenmacpherson.com | dar...@darrenmacpherson.com | skype: darren.macpherson

Darren Macpherson

Mar 6, 2012, 5:07:55 AM3/6/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
It works like a charm!  Thank you Fabricio, you're a life saver!