Friday Flashback #472

Stephen Blair

Oct 22, 2021, 7:41:43 AM10/22/21
to xsi_...@googlegroups.com
https://xsisupport.com/2021/10/22/friday-flashback-472/

XSI Foundation, une petite merveille à ce prix-là

Gregor Punchatz

Oct 24, 2021, 6:41:23 PM10/24/21
to xsi_...@googlegroups.com
Damn I miss that sexy software!!

On Fri, Oct 22, 2021 at 6:41 AM Stephen Blair <stephe...@gmail.com> wrote:
https://xsisupport.com/2021/10/22/friday-flashback-472/

XSI Foundation, une petite merveille à ce prix-là

Gregor Punchatz
Eevolver VFX/CG Director
214-288-0364

davids...@gmail.com

Oct 25, 2021, 4:00:25 AM10/25/21
to xsi_...@googlegroups.com

Do you still use it? As for me I open it to get some old models but I’m often using Houdini and Maya.

David Saber

+ 33 6 26 13 25 98

Gregor Punchatz

Oct 25, 2021, 1:41:05 PM10/25/21
to xsi_...@googlegroups.com
No… I have one old machine that still runs it,  but it’s a pain to get started up.

There have been times however in the last few weeks, I really wish that I had it easily available for certain modeling tasks that are just stupidly difficult In Maya

Scotty Wilcox

Oct 25, 2021, 6:45:17 PM10/25/21
to xsi_...@googlegroups.com
Having been heading towards Blender - seemingly safe from ADEE  (Autodesk Extinction Event)
my hotkey hand has forgotten how to drive XSI.
I couldn't even remember how to open the render tree.
Sad times but also less grieving.
I miss passes with partitions :(

Scotty Wilcox

0410 324 005

davids...@gmail.com

Oct 26, 2021, 4:45:58 AM10/26/21
to xsi_...@googlegroups.com

Yeah same for me , all my Maya keyboard shortcuts come in the way when I use XSI? Especially for the ALT key.

And yes, there’s nothing like passes and partition in XSI . Even in Houdini it’s less intuitive.

David Saber

+ 33 6 26 13 25 98

Pierre Schiller

Oct 26, 2021, 11:13:37 AM10/26/21
to xsi_...@googlegroups.com
Want to know what pains me?
It's 2021 and no software does 2 click automatic ik bone chain.

Like, this is absolutely basic. Who cares about any other setup for rigging (you can always rig your way around from this basic setup anyways). The default should be 2 click auto ik chain, let me have a checkbox for FK (or even better: a slider). No ther software besides XSI does this.

Take it from someone who's been on:
Carra, wings3d, Blender, Maya, Modo, Lightwave and 3Dsmax.
Even Do-ik (from AE) doesn't do this by default.

If anyone can do this for a Blender addon on gumroad, I'l pay for it.

Cheers.

Bryan Scibelli

Oct 26, 2021, 12:02:47 PM10/26/21
to xsi_...@googlegroups.com
Although my rendering happens now in Maya and some in Blender (Thanks to Redshift development), almost everything 3D that I work on goes through Softimage.  It is still easily the best modeler for most poly based models, as well as the Cluster with Center placing Nulls exactly where they are needed for rigging, and the ability to rig to Nulls, and not just bones are why I can't move away completely and will use Softimage until it stops working.

I use Softimage to clean and prepare models from CAD imports that have issues.  Here is an example of Softimage being vital to cleaning up a mangled CAD import:

Bryan Scibelli
VFX Supervisor / DIT / Colorist

adrian wyer

Oct 26, 2021, 12:03:04 PM10/26/21
to xsi_...@googlegroups.com

still drop in once a week to speed model something that would take 10 times as long in maya... oh and the occasional 'play time' in ICE

as long as it runs, i will still have a use for it

Adrian Wyer
Fluid Pictures
4th Floor
4 Bath Place
Rivington Street
London
EC2A 3DR
++44(0) 207 684 5575

adria...@fluid-pictures.com

www.fluid-pictures.com

Fluid Pictures Limited is registered in England and Wales.
Company number:5657815
VAT number: 872 6893 71

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error or you are not the named addressee, please let us know by e-mail reply and delete it from your system. You should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail, or disclose its contents to anyone. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company. Finally, the recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses. Although the company has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this e-mail, we cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this e-mail or attachments

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/xsi_list/000601d7c976%245c627800%2415276800%24%40gmail.com.
Message has been deleted

Sven Constable

Oct 26, 2021, 12:20:50 PM10/26/21
to xsi_...@googlegroups.com

I’m using XSI it as the main 3D application. 3dsmax just for data import/export. Bought some redshift licenses just before they went to subsciption this year.

I don’t expect any issues when I’ll move to Win11 some day or the other. Usually MS is exceptional backward compatible when it comes to older software.

Sven

patrick nethercoat

Oct 26, 2021, 1:01:24 PM10/26/21
to xsi_...@googlegroups.com
We're all clearly still feeling the pain.
I have to use Cinema 4D. Many lovely tools in there, and Redshift is excellent, but of course it's the basic things that make you cry.
The fcurve editor pisses me off so badly.
Clusters with centre nulls, and passes/partitions for sure are deeply missed.

Anyway. Hi kids.

On Tue, Oct 26, 2021 at 5:40 PM Ersin Süpke <in...@ersin-graphics.de> wrote:
I,am using MOI to convert and prepair the CAD Step Data from Customer. Export as FBX with quad and n-poly to Softimage.
Softimage is working very well here, i'am so happy with that. Yes, don't want to miss Passes and Partitions. And the UI is time ahead since 20 Years. Look at Apple everything has round corners like Softimage  xD I don't like the UI of Maya, Max, Houdini. In Maya 3 or 4 Pulldown Menus for Mesh editing. Everytime i'am searching for the simplest editing tools. =O
And yes, i need with Maya 3 Times longer for modelling as Softimage. As specialy vertex editing and snapping, etc.

Sven Constable

Oct 26, 2021, 1:51:27 PM10/26/21
to xsi_...@googlegroups.com

Even XSI ist still ahead in some areas, it lacks in physics simulation so bad. Speaking of ‘out of the box’ features. You can do modern sims by building them in ICE from scratch if you’re really into it, but Lagoa (as an example of ‘built in features’) is way beyond modern environments.

Early this year I did very extensive tests with Lagoa to simulate snow, especially wet snow/wet sand. Like inter-particle friction driven by impact, when a snowball hits a wall.

The main Lagoa node is not editable and does not have certain parameters to simulate that kind of stuff. I find wet snow/sand very difficult to simulate with Lagoa.

Some dudes like Eric Mootz would be able to write some kickass sim nodes to achive that. Even with GPU acceleration! It’s still possible to integrate that into XSI.

The framework is there...:(

Sven

Walter Volbers

Oct 26, 2021, 2:21:02 PM10/26/21
to xsi_...@googlegroups.com
What a crap, and what a masterstroke from the softimage developers!

i can't complain either,
except for rendering, I'm still allowed to do everything in Softimage - ice-modelling-rigging and animation.
And I've been working with softimage for more than 25 years now and have no alternative that is better or faster.

Softimage 3klicks including menu draw-skeleton blender more then 14steps to get something similar puuuh!

But nice that there are still a few who see it similarly,
starting with the FridayFlashback-letter

I hope it still continues with win11!

Walter Volbers
Senior Animator
+49 (0) 69.48 000 55.0

Jens Lindgren

Oct 26, 2021, 3:21:21 PM10/26/21
to xsi_...@googlegroups.com
The crazy thing is, even after so many years with no development, Softimage is still so far ahead that if Autodesk picked up Softimage development again right now, with a minimal team (2-3 people), and adding UDIM, OSL, basic USD, MaterialX, OCIO, Python3, etc. Basically just putting in open source toolsets. They could release Softimage 2023 in april and still be number one after so many years. That's basically the innovation that has been going on since Softimage was canceled. Just support for open source standards.
Heavy FX sims are probably best to do in Houdini but for everything else... AD, just needs to add the open source tools/standards, release a new version and cash in!

I've single handedly continued the support for SItoA since Softimage was canceled. I know the Softimage SDK and I know how easy it is to do development in Softimage so I'm dead serious and 100% sure that this could be done with a tiny team.
And heck, if AD doesn't want to do the development, just open source it. They are competing with Blender and Houdini and are loosing right now. Maya and Max wont win that battle.. but a free Softimage might.

//Jens

--
Jens Lindgren

adrian wyer