Big Corrective Shapekeys Problem

wav...@googlemail.com

Mar 10, 2023, 7:20:12 AM3/10/23
to Softimage Mailing List
hello

For decades it worked perfectly, but for the past half year, it has not been working as usual. It's about correction shapes. In the Animate tab, I correct the geometry, for example the smile shape with an open mouth (deformed by envelope bones). Then all shapes are set to zero and there is no envelope deformation. Back in the Create tab, the move components are saved in the correction shape, which has always worked wonderfully.

Now, as I said, inaccuracies creep in that I cannot explain. The change is not exactly saved, and there are small deviations that make the correction shape unusable in the end.

That's why my question is how do you create a correction shape on a rigged character? The lower jaw is simplified with a bone and now a correction shape should correct the open mouth on top.

example workkflow, this is working

XSI_mdvQGjIYOp.gif

and sometimes it is not working,

no_fitting.png

Thank you in advance.

Sven Constable

Mar 10, 2023, 9:02:59 AM3/10/23
to xsi_...@googlegroups.com

It’s a long time ago that I did shape animations, so I may be wrong here...
I vaguely remember that it can help to have an additional base shape (untouched and not animated) in addition to the corrective shapes. And even in addition to the “Base shape” that is created in the shape manager automatically.

According to your screenshots you have two and both linked to something (the lower jaw bone, I assume).

I would try not to use the first shape key at all (leave it untouched) and use two additional shape keys for the corrective animation/linking. Just a thought.

Sven

Sent: Friday, March 10, 2023 1:20 PM
To: Softimage Mailing List <xsi_...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Big Corrective Shapekeys Problem

[...]

image001.gif
image002.png

- -

Mar 20, 2023, 9:29:25 PM3/20/23
to xsi_...@googlegroups.com
Hello  Sven,

and thank you for your help. Unfortunately, I keep getting these deviations and even after setting up the rig again, I still get minimal deviations that make it impossible for me to get a proper correction shape. I'll probably have to switch to Blender for the remaining years of my career.
Sven Constable <sixsi...@imagefront.de> hat am 10.03.2023 15:02 CET geschrieben:

Sent: Friday, March 10, 2023 1:20 PM
To: Softimage Mailing List <xsi_...@googlegroups.com>

Walter Volbers
Senior Animator
+49 (0) 69.48 000 55.0
 ____________________________________________________________________________________The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.
Save a tree! Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to.

Sven Constable

Mar 22, 2023, 1:24:01 PM3/22/23
to xsi_...@googlegroups.com

Ein alter Hund lernt doch keine neuen Tricks mehr...;)

Regarding that specific shape anim problem... when I originally answered, I did a quick test beforehand and it seemed to work just fine. It might be very different, depending on your setup.

I like to solve problems and you can send a scene file if you like. Please then delete everything prject related of course.

Sven