Hi! Is si-community.com down ?

jasonstambo

Jan 10, 2023, 4:35:15 AM1/10/23
to Softimage Mailing List
Last time I visited wasn't so long ago, and it was up ... has it been down for a while ?

Also haven't been here in a while so Hi ! and maybe a late happy new year ! :)

cheers,
-J

Sven Constable

Jan 10, 2023, 5:32:33 AM1/10/23
to xsi_...@googlegroups.com

Maybe only temporarily. When ivisited last week i read a bit on the news section and didn’t see enything regarding a shutdown.

Sven

jasonstambo

Jan 10, 2023, 6:33:25 AM1/10/23
to Softimage Mailing List
Okay thanks,

I was about to post stuff for the first time in a while
( Water FX scene using Nvidia flex for large scale /detailed while very fast fluid simulations with "foam", meshed using also very quick VDB pointcloud meshing, renderable and shaded for MR, Sycles, and Redshift )

XSI "sample scenes" is what I still do in my own time lol

I'll also post things here.

I just got a little weary when seeing that 404 error, even when I wasn't posting, I would still visit to search for things, and ALOT of google hits point to posts /solutons over there ... not to mention the invaluable mile long "resource section"  lol

I know Oleg runs it off his own pocket, I hoped he didn't get discouraged from lower traffic or something.
I should send him a paypal once it's up again !

I also just found that there is  facebook group that I was'nt aware-of
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Softimage/

Anyhoo thanks again !
-J

Sven Constable

Jan 10, 2023, 7:19:21 AM1/10/23
to xsi_...@googlegroups.com

That NVIDIA flex stuff sounds interesting!

jasonstambo

Jan 10, 2023, 9:54:12 AM1/10/23
to Softimage Mailing List

Thanks!
I can't remember the Flex addon author name, it was one of the major more recent addon addition in the SI-community resource section

But it is quite fast!
like 10 fps for about a million particles on a gtx 2070 ,
and can handle millions more,  dropping to 20 sec/per frame,
which can be quite a bit less time than using various CPU based engines out there,
sometimes reaching like an hour or more per frame for similar detail.
( for generating the sim cache )

I'm starting small to get the "feel" right, and will post those results before scaling-up.

Also works with and concave deforming  geometry obstacles, and I haven't found major drawbacks compared to other previous GPU accelerated engines that came with a few compromises relative to CPU engines.

I was impressed !

so anyhoo .. stay tuned!
-J

Sven Constable

Jan 10, 2023, 10:16:18 AM1/10/23
to xsi_...@googlegroups.com

Nice. I did some research myself some time ago regarding the nvidia flex integration in Softimage. I was surprised that it theoretically worked even xsi was long dead at the time. Unfortunatly I did not dig deeper into it to make something out of it.

Jan 11, 2023, 4:21:00 AM1/11/23
to Softimage Mailing List
Hey guys,

the si-community was down due to some hacker attack yesterday. Now it should work normally again. Never the less, 2023 will be the last year keeping it alive. 10 years after EOL XSI this might be the right time to do so.

Cheers,
oliver

Isis Hathor

Jan 11, 2023, 4:29:30 AM1/11/23
to xsi_...@googlegroups.com
can you tell more about where to send some € to si-community (oleg is it ??)

i have a wish to use pbr i know i am so much behind
i have a book to study maya 22 which i loaded with si from autodesk

what ? nvidia seems to be using ai?
why you talk about nvidia ?

still writing dialogues before starting script

saludos desde ibizas paradize

phil harbath

Jan 11, 2023, 7:55:36 AM1/11/23
to xsi_...@googlegroups.com
10 year, damn.  I am still trying to cross over to other program. ugh.

Phil