ICE: Emit from polygon cluster

Chris Marshall

Apr 26, 2011, 8:52:12 AM4/26/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hello All,
I'm sure this is easy, but I can't get it to work. I want to emit particles from a polygon cluster, but I keep getting Type Mismatch errors when connecting.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Chris

Stephen Blair

Apr 26, 2011, 9:10:35 AM4/26/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
winmail.dat

Orlando Esponda

Apr 26, 2011, 9:15:57 AM4/26/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hello Chris,

If your using the Filter attribute of the generate sample set node   (Emit from Geometry > Generate Point > Generate Sample Set), then you need to select the IsElement attribute below the Cluster, instead of the cluster itself.    It works here.

Hope that helps,

Orlando.

Fabricio Chamon

Apr 26, 2011, 9:17:30 AM4/26/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
add polygonmesh.clustername.isElement to the emission filter?

Chris Marshall

Apr 26, 2011, 9:31:04 AM4/26/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Got it!
Not very obvious that one!

Thanks.

--
Chris Marshall
Mint Motion Limited

Chris Marshall

Apr 26, 2011, 10:24:29 AM4/26/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
OK sorry about this. I have this working but I only want to emit 1 particle per poly in the cluster, but using Generate Sample Set appears to give random selection of the polys. So to cover each with at least 1 particle requires emitting hundreds more.
So the new question is, is it possible to emit 1 particle per poly in the cluster?
or
Once emitted, is it possible to filter overlapping particles, so I'm left with just 1 at each position?

Thanks

Chris

Stephen Blair

Apr 26, 2011, 10:31:45 AM4/26/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Get the PolygonPosition of the mesh, and plug it into Emit from Position?
Then change the rate to Number of Particles = 1

OK sorry about this. I have this working but I only want to emit 1 particle per poly in the cluster, but using Generate Sample Set appears to give random selection of the polys. So to cover each with at least 1 particle requires emitting hundreds more.
So the new question is, is it possible to emit 1 particle per poly in the cluster?
or
Once emitted, is it possible to filter overlapping particles, so I'm left with just 1 at each position?

Thanks

Chris

On 26 April 2011 14:31, Chris Marshall <chrisma...@gmail.com<mailto:chrisma...@gmail.com>> wrote:
Got it!
Not very obvious that one!

Thanks.

On 26 April 2011 14:15, Orlando Esponda <orlando...@gmail.com<mailto:orlando...@gmail.com>> wrote:
Hello Chris,

If your using the Filter attribute of the generate sample set node (Emit from Geometry > Generate Point > Generate Sample Set), then you need to select the IsElement attribute below the Cluster, instead of the cluster itself. It works here.

Hope that helps,

Orlando.

winmail.dat

Stephen Blair

Apr 26, 2011, 10:32:09 AM4/26/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Oops never mind. Forgot the cluster part.

Get the PolygonPosition of the mesh, and plug it into Emit from Position?
Then change the rate to Number of Particles = 1

Sebastian Kowalski

Apr 26, 2011, 10:33:11 AM4/26/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
just plug the PolygonPosition of your emitter into a filter node, filter by isElement from the cluster and plug this stuff into a add point.
good luck

Chris Marshall

Apr 26, 2011, 10:37:29 AM4/26/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
That's exactly what I have. Maybe I have the Generate Sample Set options wrongly set.

Chris Marshall

Apr 26, 2011, 10:47:01 AM4/26/11
to li...@sekow.com, soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
That's it! No Generate Sample Set required!

Very simple solution in the end.
Thanks a lot!!

Sebastian Kowalski

Apr 26, 2011, 10:48:28 AM4/26/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
here is screengrab.
filterPolyCluster.jpg

Chris Marshall

Apr 26, 2011, 10:56:42 AM4/26/11
to li...@sekow.com, soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Thanks Sebastian! That's what I ended up with!

You're pretty darn smart!!

Cheers