SItoA/Arnold bug with motion blur and transmissive lights

Sven Constable

Aug 10, 2023, 2:47:41 PM8/10/23
to xsi_...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

anybody still here? :)

Recently I was working on an old  test scene again to compare arnold and redshift (and even mr for a good amount of fun). Well, in that particular scene arnold crashes when using motion blur. I nailed it down to settings in the light shader (arnold quad light).

The values in the light shader for camera visibilty as well as transmission visibility are both zero by default. Maybe for a reason. Then it renders but changing them to any other value will crash arnold when using motion blur. Unfortunatly you would need transmission visibility for correct reflections in the glass.

Not sure if its an arnold or SItoA bug. I’m using SItoA 7.2.2.0.

I worked around it using grids for the transmissive highlights and switched off anything but the specular transmission for the grids. A bit awkward... that’s what I would expect from mental ray, not arnold. :(

Does anyone know if it’s a known bug, limitation or maybe something else?

You can see the issue here (the glass model has a 360 rotation over 50 frames)

www.imagefront.de/tmp/testscene_armadillo_comparison.jpg

Sven

Jens Lindgren

Aug 10, 2023, 3:04:42 PM8/10/23
to xsi_...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sven!
It sounds like an Arnold issue and not an SItoA issue but I would love to take a look at that scene and see what's going on. So please send it if you can.
If it's an Arnold issue, it's even more important to get it fixed :)

//Jens

Jens Lindgren
------------------------------------
CG Supervisor @ Important Looking Pirates

Stephen Blair

Aug 10, 2023, 4:53:46 PM8/10/23
to xsi_...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sven

I don't see any tickets for "quad light motion blur", so it's not a known issue.

If you could export an ass file and kick it, then it could be an Arnold bug. Except if there are a bunch of SItoA shaders in the scene...

Stephen
Arnold Renderer Support

Sven Constable

Aug 10, 2023, 5:59:29 PM8/10/23
to xsi_...@googlegroups.com

Hey Jens,

I needed to clean up the scene a bit:

www.imagefront.de/tmp/2307_imagefront_benchmark_arnold.zip

It’s the XSI project folder with relative file pathes so it should work straight away.

The scene has a readme annotation which explains it a bit.

Basically just draw a region (pass settings are used), arnold will render the hilights. Then turn on MB...

It also contains the photoshop file I used for direct comparison.

BTW the bug is with CPU and GPU rendering in Arnold.

Sven

Sven Constable

Aug 10, 2023, 6:01:42 PM8/10/23
to xsi_...@googlegroups.com

Hi Stephen,

thanks for chiming in. I will try an ass export.

Sven

Aug 12, 2023, 2:06:22 PM8/12/23
to xsi_...@googlegroups.com

Arnold has some interesting terminology...not sure if its foul language but I kicked an ass file. However, it does not crash but it doesn’t render the highlights either.

Similar happened from within XSI and the render region...sometimes it will render when scrubbing in the timeline back to the original frame. Even when it renders, it doesn’t render the hilights.

With kick, it renders straight away but no hilights are rendered when MB is turned on.

Both XSI and kick give these error:
' ERROR : [arnold] [polymesh] : different number of motion keys in vertex/normal arrays: #normal keys: 1, #vertex keys: 2

' ERROR : [arnold] [polymesh] : different number of motion keys in vertex/normal arrays: #normal keys: 1, #vertex keys: 2

' ERROR : [arnold] [polymesh] : different number of motion keys in vertex/normal arrays: #normal keys: 1, #vertex keys: 2

What seemes like an issue with scene geometry isn’t actually related to a polymesh in the scene. It happens even if all geometry is deleted. Three errors with three lights in the scene....

I suspect it to be the arnold area lights itself. Maybe when arnold is building a geometry for the visible area lights to render them.

I might dig into that further and post it on the more appropriate channels regarding arnold. But so far it seems like an arnold issue.

Sven

Isis Hathor

Sep 10, 2023, 8:34:50 AM9/10/23
to xsi_...@googlegroups.com
hello

do you know of any means to get exact measurements : Relation with the "Outside World" back when working with Softimage? a plug-in or a function that might have escaped my awareness.

for instance, say i want to use XSI to build my own furniture and take the project to the carpenter?

For any help a big thank you!
Mathías

- -

Sep 13, 2023, 9:23:13 AM9/13/23
to xsi_...@googlegroups.com, Isis Hathor
Hi,

one thing inside SI, activate the ruler in Visiblity-Options/VisualCues only avaible in front-top-right-View.

And  on Si-Community.com is a nice Addon for measuring and visualisation

greets

Walt
Isis Hathor <marian....@gmail.com> hat am 10.09.2023 14:34 CEST geschrieben:

Walter Volbers
Senior Animator
+49 (0) 69.48 000 55.0
 ____________________________________________________________________________________The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.
Save a tree! Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to.