Hello? Any Blender curious out there

Steven Caron

Oct 31, 2023, 12:24:08 AM10/31/23
to xsi_...@googlegroups.com
Wow, it's been so long since I posted this list. Not sure anyone is even around to list...

I have been trying to learn Blender and coming from Softimage I am just completely floored that people can get anything done in Blender from a modeling perspective. Anyone here successfully made the switch to modeling in Blender from Softimage and care to share any tips? Links to video tutorials etc?

Thanks,
Steven

Royston Michaels

Oct 31, 2023, 3:26:21 AM10/31/23
to xsi_...@googlegroups.com
Hi Steven,

Some of us are still lurking around, lol.

Jason did an amazing job creating the XSI Keymap for Blender.
I felt at home working in Blender, without it... Blender doesn't seem usable coming from working in XSI and Maya.

Jason, if you are still around... thanks for your efforts... it's lifesaver moving to Blender.
Have a look here. https://youtu.be/_DvM009LaN4

All the best.
Royston

Steven Caron

Oct 31, 2023, 5:30:04 PM10/31/23
to xsi_...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for sharing this looks like it could really help me. If the comments are any indication I am not alone in my struggles 😂

*written with my thumbs

Scotty Wilcox

Oct 31, 2023, 7:39:52 PM10/31/23
to xsi_...@googlegroups.com
Hello !

I have successfully moved from XSI to Blender for everything not just modelling. Although the 3D
work I am doing isn't as complex as it used to be.

The feature I love the most is that Autodesk cannot acquire Blender.

A big hurdle is getting used to the change of the Z axis overall.

I have not used the XSi keymap for Blender so that I can learn the native hotkeys and then be able to follow
tutorials. It took a long long time to adapt. Now on the very rare occasion that I run XSI, I have no idea what
the hotkeys are.

I've found that in XSI you might have a single key for a hotkey where as Blender the functions from hotkeys
work in 'pairs'.

I miss plenty of tools from XSI, but have found equivalent ways to get stuff done in Blender.

I REALLY miss 'dice' .... oh man.... I miss it.....
Oh and that sticky magnetic M key point manipulation thing.....

Anyway, here's my favourite Blender Tutorial creators.

https://www.youtube.com/@CGMatter

https://www.youtube.com/@askNK

https://www.youtube.com/@TheCGEssentials

And of course the most famous tutorial - The Donut
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIoXOplUvAw&list=PLjEaoINr3zgFX8ZsChQVQsuDSjEqdWMAD

Good Luck !

Scotty Wilcox

0410 324 005

Steven Caron

Oct 31, 2023, 8:09:03 PM10/31/23
to xsi_...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Scotty for the links ..

Do you know how to knife (bisect) across multiple objects?

*written with my thumbs

Scotty Wilcox

Oct 31, 2023, 10:40:53 PM10/31/23
to xsi_...@googlegroups.com
Hi Steven,

No sorry. I doubt that such an operator would work with multiple objects selected.

If I was trying to do that or others....I'd look at this site for addons / plugins...
https://blendermarket.com/

and also search very specifically for that option....which might get some workaround like
https://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/107358/cutting-multiple-objects

or get ChatGPT to write a python script.....? Maybe.....

Steven Caron

Oct 31, 2023, 11:06:43 PM10/31/23
to xsi_...@googlegroups.com
Actually, it works. I think I was having trouble getting two objects to go into edit mode together and the bisect tool always clears your selection after it's done, leading me to a lot of confusion :sweat_smile:

Scotty Wilcox

Nov 1, 2023, 6:34:01 PM11/1/23
to xsi_...@googlegroups.com
Hoorah !!!

I learned something !

Pierre Schiller

Nov 2, 2023, 12:02:48 AM11/2/23
to xsi_...@googlegroups.com
Hi Steven. I've made the crossover from XSI to Blender.
I even created a whole theme around it for Blender users.
Mind these are just cosmetic colors, but make life so much easier to work in the viewport.
Currently, I work only with the dark theme for Blender, similar to dark UI from other packages,
but retaining the principles of the XSI theme I designed:
https://github.com/3dcinetv/Blender-V-theme

Incidentally, any complex technical questions about Blender/Softimage, I'd be glad to answer.
I posted a video about SYCLES shaders (Blender cycles shaders working in Softimage).

Welcome to this never ending journey of (good) feature updates in Blender.

 www.3dcinetv.com - 3D.VFX.Post - Click on socials:

Steven Caron

Nov 2, 2023, 12:51:36 AM11/2/23
to xsi_...@googlegroups.com
What's funny is I am misremembering being able to do this in Softimage. I just tried and I can't seem to get Soft to do it :facepalm:

But Blender can so that's great!

Steven Caron

Nov 2, 2023, 12:51:58 AM11/2/23
to xsi_...@googlegroups.com
Thanks so much for sharing the resources and offering the help Pierre

phil harbath

Nov 2, 2023, 12:58:04 AM11/2/23
to 'wav...@googlemail.com' via Softimage Mailing List
How about character animation, anyone use it? does it hold a candle to Softimage?
2286f4db-7ec2-44ad-b256-cd0148136845

Walter Volbers

Nov 3, 2023, 4:08:51 AM11/3/23
to xsi_...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

So, I rig and sometimes  animate for three years now ,but still using 90%softimage for rigging/animating!
it's just worlds compared to animate in Softimage where blender is still just "bad"
there are too many steps to achieve something similar in softimage,
both the rigging and the animating,
Blender Pros
animate per symmetry of key poses works wonderfully (provided you followed the R-L terminology)
many rig presets,including ik-fk blend and switch/match position (similar to gear but more advanced than gear was)
Actionsconstraint an animation that you can start by callingtrigger  a value,
constrains only for one axis
curve-modifier
cons
Ui
too many options like constrains local ,world ,customspace, posespace, local with parent ,local space
very confusing at the beginning,

animate rigs/bones in the Poseditor
rig end creating  bones in Edit mode , geometry similarly in the edit mode is modeled in the Objecktmode you can assign deformer ,in the weighteditor you paint weightes
unbelievably many minest doubles if not even triples many steps compared with softimage.
few characteranimation tutorials still have the feeling that 90% of the userare hobbies,

extra pros
free,
extra cons
addons addons too many updates

softimage
intuitiv
realy Userfriendly animating/rigging
schematic view
solo/view  select fcurve
floating windows
middlemouse button to repeat last command,
quadview clearer,

stack deformer
nurbs deformer
link with
ghosting animationghosting
set 4 cameraviews so that the position is not lost
the worst for me is the lack of the schematic-view
and the jumping between edit-pose-object-mode
and the selection of function curves
and last but not least hot keys that break the flow because i have to put down the mouse to execute the combination
my short resume

Walt

phil harbath

Nov 3, 2023, 1:05:04 PM11/3/23
to 'Walter Volbers' via Softimage Mailing List
thanks, you wouldn't happen to use anything else professionally for character animation,  I would like to get out of Softimage eventually,  I am hoping for a side-grade or close in terms of character animation.

Phil

- -

Nov 4, 2023, 3:44:59 PM11/4/23
to xsi_...@googlegroups.com, phil harbath
Hi,

So, I rig and sometimes and animate for three years,but still using 90%softimage for rigging/animating!
it's just worlds compared to animate in Softimage where blender is still just "bad"
there are too many steps to achieve something similar to softimage,
both the rigging and the animating,
Blender Pros
animate per symmetry of key poses works wonderfully (provided you followed the R-L terminology)
many rig presets,including ik-fk blend and switch/match position (similar to gear but more advanced than gear was)
Actionsconstraint an animation that you can start by callingtrigger  a value,
constrains only for one axis
curve-modifier
cons
Ui
too many options like constrains local ,world ,customspace, posespace, local with parent ,local space
very confusing at the beginning,

 animate rigs/bones in the Poseditor
rig end greating bones in Edit mode , geometry similarly in the edit mode is modeled in the Objecktmode you can assign deformer ,in the weighteditor you paint weightes but I there points to selectyou  must go back in Editmode to select the desired points first,
exceptions prove the rule, https://vagon.io/blog/movies-made-with-blender/#:~:text=interesting%20as%20well!-,1.,the%20winter%20into%20spring%20again.
[...]

phil harbath <phil.h...@jamination.com> hat am 02.11.2023 05:58 CET geschrieben:
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/xsi_list/Mailbird-1e1c9d1c-923a-464e-8678-e5fb1ae10cc4%40jamination.com.

Walter Volbers
Senior Animator
+49 (0) 69.48 000 55.0
 ____________________________________________________________________________________The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.
Save a tree! Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to.

- -

Nov 4, 2023, 3:44:59 PM11/4/23
to xsi_...@googlegroups.com
Hi Phil,

Yes, I don't know if I'm still the right consultant,
I've been working with Softimage since 1996, so all the knowledge is limited to that software for now, and it's hard for me to switch when I see how complicated it is in the other software. mega upturn!
And still love it, at least when it comes to rigging and animation.
And at the moment it's all uncertain what will happen in the next few years, keyword AI.
You should at least give Blender a try, maybe it will work,
The videos by Pierrick Picaut are highly recommended in this context
https://www.youtube.com/@PierrickPicaut_P2DESIGN/videos and his payed video tutorials.
I think if you are a freelancer and want to work in studios, there is no way around Maya.
Modo and C4d, C4d works, Modo I couldn't get to grips with nodetree rigging.
Houdini20 is also interesting, but probably too complex for an all-rounder.
If I were to start with 3D today, I would probably leave it alone.
As I said, I can theoretically work for another 3 years and then retire,
But I won't say no if my company wants to keep me.

Walt
phil harbath <phil.h...@jamination.com> hat am 03.11.2023 18:04 CET geschrieben: