Get Closest Location on itself, but on a selected cluster.

pedro santos

Mar 12, 2014, 1:48:51 PM3/12/14
to Softimage Mailing List
Trying to make a setup where part of a mesh glues into another part (same mesh) after envelope deformation, etc, etc.
Basically:

If vertices in point-cluster-X distance less than 0.1 from polygons in polygon-cluster-Y then they go to the closest location in polygon-cluster-Y.

The math parth I got it I just don't know how to get the mesh to get the closes location to another part than itself.
I made a copy mesh but then I get the problem of feeding it with original mesh point positions and then feeding the original mesh with the copy point positions: cycle.

So how would you guys go on about getting the closest location on a specific area (cluster)? The "Positions" seems easy, just filter the point positions with point cluster. But the "Shape"...  no idea how to go around that with polygon cluster.

Cheers

Vladimir Jankijevic

Mar 12, 2014, 6:36:04 PM3/12/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
ok, one more time without the scene!
Here you go. what I'm doing is:

first move the geometry you want to do the search from to a remote location but save the original pointpositions before. then, look up the closest location, make the required tests (cluster, distance) and then move everything accordingly.

hope this was of any help

see the attached image and scene

Inline image 1

best,
vladimir

pedro santos

Mar 13, 2014, 5:53:47 PM3/13/14
to Softimage Mailing List
Vladimir
Many thanks, more than the solution and the scene you shared I thank you for the lesson that your clever approach is. I can now even foresee how to make the two halfs glue in the middle, I just have to reset and use the stored positions one at a time.
Will certainly use this type of approach in other problems :) Appreciated.

Cheers

Vladimir Jankijevic

Mar 13, 2014, 6:39:22 PM3/13/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com