Avid cuts 410 jobs

Marc-Andre Carbonneau

Oct 28, 2008, 12:57:52 PM10/28/08
to X...@softimage.com

Gene Crucean

Oct 28, 2008, 1:11:44 PM10/28/08
to X...@softimage.com
Who's Avid?

2008/10/28 Marc-Andre Carbonneau <marc-andre...@ubisoft.com>

--
Gene Crucean

Main email: genec...@gmail.com

Thiago Costa

Oct 28, 2008, 1:24:09 PM10/28/08
to X...@softimage.com
At least get rid of Softimage seemed to be a priority to this new plans at Avid. Which is a good thing.

2008/10/28 Bradley Gabe <with...@gmail.com>
Yeah! Jobs we heard of, he works at Apple.

Phil Williams

Oct 28, 2008, 1:26:01 PM10/28/08
to X...@softimage.com

I’m not an Avid fan.

Oct 28, 2008, 1:17:06 PM10/28/08
to X...@softimage.com
Yeah! Jobs we heard of, he works at Apple.

kim aldis

Oct 28, 2008, 1:48:41 PM10/28/08
to X...@softimage.com

Yeah, Go Autodesk!

Oct 28, 2008, 1:47:58 PM10/28/08
to X...@softimage.com

So where did the other 409 come from?

Oct 28, 2008, 2:25:51 PM10/28/08
to X...@softimage.com
some of the 500 were softimage - but userbase worry not, the future is on ice... or hm... well that and the opposite; all good for you, ice will be on everyhing shortly.
image001.jpg

Jennifer Goldfinch

Oct 28, 2008, 5:02:40 PM10/28/08
to X...@softimage.com

Can I keep this email for my records? J

Speaking of records, I was clearing out my filing cabinets (some files which pre dated my Soft tenure) and I found printed copies of the  Sumatra launch plans, as well as the press release about the new product.

I kept those, I couldn’t throw them away…

image001.jpg

Shaun Chapman

Oct 28, 2008, 5:18:22 PM10/28/08
to X...@softimage.com
I keep trying to throw out my Creative Environment manuals, but can't for some strange reason  :-)

---

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 5:02 PM, Jennifer Goldfinch <jgol...@softimage.com> wrote:

> Speaking of records, I was clearing out my filing cabinets (some files which pre dated my Soft tenure) and I found printed copies of the  Sumatra launch plans, as well as the press release about the new product.
>

> I kept those, I couldn't throw them away…

--
Shaun Chapman
Senior VFX Artist/Animator,
Pure (New York)
212-213-2200 ext. 105
sh...@pureny.com
www.pureny.com

Greg Punchatz

Oct 28, 2008, 5:21:07 PM10/28/08
to X...@softimage.com
I still have a Sumatra beta 2 cd...and a twister beta CD.

Greg Punchatz
Janimation Sr. Creative Director
Janimation
214.823.7760
www.janimation.com

Anthor

Oct 28, 2008, 10:37:01 PM10/28/08
to X...@softimage.com
Me too - and the sumatra cds.
I even have the 2.6 manuals...
I have been thinking for years about making an archive on the web for
old dead 3d Software.
I was thinking about electroGIG, wavefront, Lightwave, etc.
But maybe it's time to add Soft 3d to that pile.

ATR

---
Unsubscribe? Mail Majo...@Softimage.COM with the following text in body:
unsubscribe xsi

Matt Lind

Oct 28, 2008, 10:41:37 PM10/28/08
to X...@softimage.com
I've got some Eddie manuals (3.1,3.2), and the old DKit manuals for
Soft3D.

Matt

Thiago Costa

Oct 28, 2008, 11:25:26 PM10/28/08
to X...@softimage.com
I'm not that old. Softimage 2.0 tshirt.

On Oct 28, 2008, at 7:41 PM, "Matt Lind" <ml...@carbinestudios.com>

kim aldis

Oct 29, 2008, 4:26:15 AM10/29/08
to X...@softimage.com
I am. Softimage 1.0. Hah!

Frank Lenhard

Oct 29, 2008, 5:53:12 AM10/29/08
to kim aldis
you guys make me envy you! i can only counter with a 3dsmax v1 box ;)

ciao
franky

Wednesday, October 29, 2008, 9:26:15 AM, you wrote:

ka> I am. Softimage 1.0. Hah!

ka> ---
ka> Unsubscribe? Mail Majo...@Softimage.COM with the following text in body:
ka> unsubscribe xsi

Rob Wuijster

Oct 29, 2008, 6:51:43 AM10/29/08
to X...@softimage.com
3DStudio DOS, too long ago to remember what version ;-)

Rob Wuijster

(looking for interesting job offers)

André Adam

Oct 29, 2008, 7:01:13 AM10/29/08
to X...@softimage.com
Bah! Ten years ago we tried to make that one play nice with Softimage|3d
3.7. The worst pipeline nightmare I have ever been in...

-André

Rob Wuijster

Oct 29, 2008, 7:10:58 AM10/29/08
to X...@softimage.com
We were just remembering the "old" days, I never said it was any good ;-)

Rob Wuijster

(looking for interesting job offers)

---

Deon Roux

Oct 28, 2008, 7:39:29 PM10/28/08
to X...@softimage.com
3DStudio DOS R3, Imagine V1 !!!! ;-0

Arvid Björn

Oct 29, 2008, 8:32:43 AM10/29/08
to X...@softimage.com
Oldest I have is a Soft|3D 3.7 modelling manual. Im such a n00b ;-(
--
senior 3d artist | stockholm.postproduction | www.stopp.se

Vladimir Jankijevic

Oct 29, 2008, 9:01:17 AM10/29/08
to X...@softimage.com
3DStudio 4 DOS. That was the first 3d App with a interactive viewport for me. HELL, I was 10 years old at this time!!! The only modeling I knew about at this time was lofting!!! :)

http://groody.free.fr/galerie/3d_studio_4/

HA HA
cool!
--
---------------------------------------
Vladimir Jankijevic

Elefant Studios AG
Lessingstrasse 15
CH-8002 Zürich

+41 79 390 83 48 Mobile
+41 44 500 48 24 Tel

www.elefantstudios.ch
---------------------------------------

Ponthieux, Joey

Oct 29, 2008, 9:44:22 AM10/29/08
to X...@softimage.com
Cubicomp Picturemaker manuals......1988, don't remember the version,
something like 2.0 I think

Joey Ponthieux
NCI Information Systems Inc.
NASA Langley Research Center
Opinions stated here-in are strictly those of the author and
do not represent the opinions of NASA or any other party.

Byron Nash

Oct 29, 2008, 10:03:08 AM10/29/08
to X...@softimage.com
This is way lamer, but I still have my old Ray Dream Studio disc that I bought in college. Now that was a sweet 3d app right there. (joking)

Skype: byronnash AIM: doltman7 Y! messenger: doltman7
LinkedinPlaxoFlickrdel.icio.us
--
Byron Nash

Eric Lampi

Oct 29, 2008, 10:17:36 AM10/29/08
to X...@softimage.com
"Turbo Silver" v1.0 and "Forms in Flight" are sitting in a closet somewhere...

http://amr.abime.net/issue_1397

 Freelance 3-D Animator, F/X Artist

Oct 29, 2008, 10:39:19 AM10/29/08
to X...@softimage.com
I remember fooling around clicking things with 3D Studio Max R3, and
first XSI I touched was 4.2. I also recall fiddling with Bryce when I
was very young.

Ponthieux, Joey

Oct 29, 2008, 10:38:44 AM10/29/08
to X...@softimage.com

Anthor wrote:
> Me too - and the sumatra cds.
> I even have the 2.6 manuals...
> I have been thinking for years about making an archive on the web for
> old dead 3d Software.
> I was thinking about electroGIG, wavefront, Lightwave, etc.

I recall names such as Intelligent Light, Apollo, Prime, Aurora, and
Topas. There are numerous others. When you think about what has happened
to the industry over the last 20 years it's mind boggling. The final 6
or so serious developers of 3D software were preceded by many attempts
to create successful 3D software. The genesis of the industry is riddled
facts that are not well such as the role broadcast equipment
corporations such Ampex, Pinnacle, or Sony played in bringing affordable
3D to the masses, the intense and often failed effort to bring 3D down
from unix and onto the PC, and massive corporate blunders by companies
who were sitting on top of the 3D world. Blunders such as those made by
Cubicomp. Its definitely a story and history thats not been adequately
told. Worst, it's a history that any 1st year animation student using
Maya, XSI, or Houdini could never really appreciate. You really had to
be there.

I know that XSI hasn't died, but Softimage has been with us longer than
any other entity this industry has produced in over twenty years, aside
from maybe Pixar and a few other studios. Without knowing what will be
coming, but having some idea based upon Autodesk's past acquisitions,
it's hard to imagine the idea of this venerable name and institution
disappearing into the abyss of 3D history. It's truly been a survivor in
what has become a massive heap of valiant but unfortunate attempts to
improve CGI.

Joey Ponthieux
NCI Information Systems Inc.
NASA Langley Research Center
Opinions stated here-in are strictly those of the author and
do not represent the opinions of NASA or any other party.

---

Marc-Andre Carbonneau

Oct 29, 2008, 11:06:45 AM10/29/08
to X...@softimage.com
Anybody from the very first Sumatra beta list remembers that Softimage
marketing once wanted to call XSI.... NL3D (for non-linear 3D)

What a poor idea that was!
And then someone from that same list said:
"you can't call it that! Otherwise everybody's going to say: Softimage:
To infinity...from behind!"

MAC

> Anybody from the very first Sumatra beta list remembers that Softimage
> marketing once wanted to call XSI.... NL3D (for non-linear 3D)
>
> What a poor idea that was!
> And then someone from that same list said:
> "you can't call it that! Otherwise everybody's going to say:
Softimage:
> To infinity...from behind!"

that was Greg Punchatz... who lobbied the higher ups to reconsider the
name. That was on Jan 7th, 2000.

kim aldis

Oct 29, 2008, 11:59:18 AM10/29/08
to X...@softimage.com
Actually a few of us did.

kim aldis

Oct 29, 2008, 12:11:19 PM10/29/08
to X...@softimage.com
I was going on to say; not much lobbying was needed when it was pointed out
to them what a disastrous name it was. That's the trouble with lawyers;
stupid.

Marc-Andre Carbonneau

Oct 29, 2008, 12:12:00 PM10/29/08
to X...@softimage.com
Wow. Good memory Lucer!
You have all that archived somewhere? ;)

And thanks should definitely go to Greg for both the joke and the
lobbying.

Oct 29, 2008, 12:23:11 PM10/29/08
to X...@softimage.com
correct, you were there too. I think very few people immediately saw the

problem with the name's prounciation, but after hearing it it's
impossible to forget. The developpement team was fighting
marketting on this one, this was the hammer we needed. I may still
have the NL3D logo somewhere.. it looked kinda cool, actually. ;)

> From: kim aldis
>
> I was going on to say; not much lobbying was needed when it was
pointed out
> to them what a disastrous name it was. That's the trouble with
lawyers;
> stupid.
>

> > From: kim aldis
> >
> > Actually a few of us did.

Stephen Davidson

Oct 29, 2008, 1:12:41 PM10/29/08
to X...@softimage.com
Ok... I HAVE to show off here...

I still have Autodesk 3D Studio DOS 386 Release 2,01a
in a box, with manuals, dongle, and floppy disks.
Ironic, that I'm now an XSI user.

I don't know why I keep them. Nostalgia, I guess.
Maybe the same reason I still have my ElasticReality,
and Matador manuals (both, also purchased by Avid)
... I paid so much for them, I can't bring myself
to throw them away. Or... maybe I'm just a packrat.

Best Regards,

Steve Davidson

(954)552-7956
www.3danimationmagic.com

Greg Punchatz

Oct 29, 2008, 1:14:04 PM10/29/08
to X...@softimage.com
The truth is I got an anonymous email from some one at soft letting me know the plans for the name....and then I lobbied for a name change.  Lyn Caudle made the Anal (NL) 3d box art that we sent to soft, that was the end of that name :)    Thank god

Greg Punchatz
Janimation Sr. Creative Director
Janimation
214.823.7760
www.janimation.com

Stephen Davidson

Oct 29, 2008, 1:16:11 PM10/29/08
to X...@softimage.com
Ok, Joey, you got me...
I did not save my Cubicomp Picturemaker manuals.

Not many of us here remember those times.

Cheers!

Best Regards,

Steve Davidson

(954)552-7956
www.3danimationmagic.com

Tim Leydecker

Oct 29, 2008, 1:28:04 PM10/29/08
to X...@softimage.com
ah,

NL 3d gives anal 3d, I had thought it to be NaiL3d.

cheers

tim

Greg Punchatz wrote:
> The truth is I got an anonymous email from some one at soft letting me
> know the plans for the name....and then I lobbied for a name change.
> Lyn Caudle made the Anal (NL) 3d box art that we sent to soft, that was
> the end of that name :) Thank god

> *Greg Punchatz*
> *Janimation Sr. Creative Director*
> Janimation
> 214.823.7760
> www.janimation.com <http://www.janimation.com>

kim aldis

Oct 29, 2008, 1:48:48 PM10/29/08
to X...@softimage.com
Bless.

Ponthieux, Joey

Oct 29, 2008, 2:08:28 PM10/29/08
to X...@softimage.com
Steve,

Move up>Rot/trans>Render :)

There are command key sequences such as that which I'll never be able to
purge I suppose. I'm sentimental about cubi, but I don't miss it. Every
first year animation student should be required to make a cube, texture,
animate and render it on a Picturemaker before moving on to other
things. Should take the good part of their first semester of school.

Matador, however. I can't express how badly I miss that software!

Joey Ponthieux
NCI Information Systems Inc.
NASA Langley Research Center
Opinions stated here-in are strictly those of the author and
do not represent the opinions of NASA or any other party.

Stephen Davidson

Oct 29, 2008, 2:43:03 PM10/29/08
to X...@softimage.com
Joey,

Ah, yes ... the good old days?

I think I like how things, in our industry, have evolved.
After all, If Matador hadn't been "shelved" by Avid, I
would have never discovered AfterEffects.
Between AfterEffects and some plugins, I can
Do most of what I could do with Matador for
a fraction of the cost. I can even do a "morph"
kind of like Elastic Reality, but not quite.

Here is a link you might enjoy:
http://www.laurelsys.com/Company_History.html

Remember Jim Newton?

Shaun Chapman

Oct 29, 2008, 2:51:20 PM10/29/08
to X...@softimage.com
Aaaah, the coveted Eddie manuals... tears well up.

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 10:41 PM, Matt Lind <ml...@carbinestudios.com> wrote:

> I've got some Eddie manuals (3.1,3.2), and the old DKit manuals for
> Soft3D.
>
> Matt

Matt Lind

Oct 29, 2008, 3:04:00 PM10/29/08
to X...@softimage.com
I miss Eddie too.....honest.

Some of it's interface was a bit clunky, but I still prefer it to the FXtree and many other desktop compositing systems.  I miss the history stack for the vector paint tool, the 6 layer overlay tool, the convolution filter tool, the text tool, X-warp - which was extremely useful for stretching images to become textures on meshes and NURBS, the 3D paint...    Too bad it wasn't ported to windows.  I don't miss the memory leaks, however ;-)

Matt

Oct 29, 2008, 3:27:40 PM10/29/08
to X...@softimage.com
yeah I remember Jim. I attended his user group meeting in Anaheim during
Sig93. Too bad it didn't work out for him. His ideas were way ahead of
their time.

As for Matador, indeed it wasn't as powerful as current apps, but no one
has ever been able to replicate the shear simplicity of Matador image
stores. I've got all the features of Matador right in XSI, but what
made Matador most unique was the stores interface and that didn't
translate to XSI . It really is a shame.

Steven Caron

Oct 29, 2008, 5:29:15 PM10/29/08
to X...@softimage.com
*aaaachooo!*

wow its pretty dusty in here...

;)

Eric Lampi

Oct 29, 2008, 5:32:59 PM10/29/08
to X...@softimage.com
Ahhhh Eddie.  Loved it, my first comp app.

I still can't understand how people can work in anything other than a node based compositor.

Freelance 3-D Animator, F/X Artist

Oct 29, 2008, 5:47:42 PM10/29/08
to X...@softimage.com
You mean somebody actually ever bothered buying that thing?
I mean, instead of receiving it handed to you outside school, on blue floppies, from an AD rep pirating their own products in the hope that enough students knowing them will produce enough cheap labour to make acad and 3ds prevail over much better and even cheaper products?

As for memory lane...
I have LW for amiga sitting somewhere, the lw4 box (first version for nt) sitting somewhere, SI|3D 3.5(1?) manuals beside those (acquired post-mortem though), and tshirts and stuff dating back to SI|3D last couple releases before it got culled.
I still have XSI 1.0 manuals too on the same shelf for sentimental value :)

But I was young enough back then to still be young now, unlike some people talking about symbolics from when they were in their late 30s already :p
Not that I'd ever name them.

Stephen Davidson

Oct 29, 2008, 6:18:30 PM10/29/08
to X...@softimage.com

Symbolics …wow ..I had forgotten about all those knobs.

J yeah… I was in my 30’s

Eric Lampi

Oct 29, 2008, 6:17:02 PM10/29/08
to X...@softimage.com
I had a cracked version of Lightwave, a week after the Video Toaster was released. :)

Freelance 3-D Animator, F/X Artist

Oct 30, 2008, 3:35:23 AM10/30/08
to X...@softimage.com
Digital Arts 3d or Topas, Tips on vista boards!  Can see traces of Eddie's Rendertree window (F6 i think!) in todays Ice (bird's eye view window).

had my first animation test in Cubicomp.. last leg in 30s.. though not for long!

--
Prodeep Ghosh