Arnold user guide for Softimage

Sven Constable

Nov 18, 2022, 12:46:09 PM11/18/22
to xsi_...@googlegroups.com

Hey list,

Autodesk took down the arnold user guide/documentation for Softimage a few weeks ago. Does anyone have it locally or a download source?

Thanks,

Sven

Stephen Blair

Nov 18, 2022, 4:44:16 PM11/18/22
to xsi_...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sven

I have a PDF

Will dig it up and send it to you

Stephen

Sven Constable

Nov 19, 2022, 4:53:43 AM11/19/22
to xsi_...@googlegroups.com

Hi Stephen,

that would be amazing! Thank you very much. :)

Sven

Jens Lindgren

Nov 21, 2022, 3:04:21 AM11/21/22
to xsi_...@googlegroups.com
Great Stephen! If you manage to find it, could you send it my way as well? :)

//Jens

--
Jens Lindgren
------------------------------------

Stephen Blair

Nov 21, 2022, 8:35:50 AM11/21/22
to xsi_...@googlegroups.com

Sven Constable

Nov 21, 2022, 9:02:14 AM11/21/22
to xsi_...@googlegroups.com

Jens Lindgren

Nov 21, 2022, 3:15:32 PM11/21/22
to xsi_...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Stephen!

Jens Lindgren

Feb 10, 2023, 11:03:11 AM2/10/23
to xsi_...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stephen!
I suffered hard drive failure during the christmas holiday and lost the documentation because I hadn't moved it from the download folder yet.
Could you share it again please?
Also, some people on facebook are asking for it as well. Do you mind if we share it further? And can I maybe add it to the SItoA repository?

//Jens

Isis Hathor

Feb 16, 2023, 5:22:51 AM2/16/23
to xsi_...@googlegroups.com
hi.

Autodesk advises me several cards certified to be working with Arnold
they tell me other cards exist but they are not "working with them"..
i want to buy a Arnold license and use it with Softimage 2015 and Maya 2022 which i both own.

what do you know about the most recent cards that work well with Softimage2015
? i have a problem with animation function curve for instance with the GTX 1080 card.

what is the most modernist card you can buy to work with si2015 (with no bug?)
that would work also well with Maya22 and Arnold (or Redshift)?

thank you!
mathias

Sven Constable

Feb 16, 2023, 6:05:36 AM2/16/23
to xsi_...@googlegroups.com

Have seen this refresh glitch in the F-Curve Editor with ATI/AMD cards but not with Nvidia cards. I used a GTX980Ti and now a 3080Ti successfully with XSI.

I used both cards also with Redshift and Arnold in XSI. Worked like a charm. I havent’t heard anything about the 40xx generation together with Softimage yet.

The Nvidia Control Panel has a preset setting for Softimage. Doesn’t do much I guess, but doesn’t hurt either.

For your 1080 card Nvidia also offers the “Studio Driver” version. It might work better, even I think it will detect the card as a GTX and not as a Quadro and therefore installs driver components accordingly. But you can give that a try as well.

Sven

Isis Hathor

Feb 16, 2023, 11:24:57 AM2/16/23
to xsi_...@googlegroups.com
thank you ,
what would you think of a softimage user who recently said to a xsi group,
that his GeForce 2080ti could not work with his Redshift 3.0.45
he uses an old version of Redshift for a reason of compatibility with Softimage i imagine.

i use a thunderbolt 3.0 Razer Core Chrome with external card because the Oled screen of my laptop is so nice..

The 3080ti seems uncertain with it, (the laptop might not be giving enough electricity to such a huge consumer card?)but the 2080ti seems the best option.

from what you say i should be able to use both Redshift or Arnold with Softimage 2015 and Maya 2022
but with the "Studio driver" it could be possible also with the external 2080ti?
merci pour toute information !!
salutations,
Mathias

Sven Constable

Feb 16, 2023, 12:13:42 PM2/16/23
to xsi_...@googlegroups.com

I didn’t say anything about external cards for use with anything.

  1. Nvidia GTX cards usually work with XSI.
  2. The latest version of Redshift for Softimage is 3.0.45. I used that version with a 980 and 3080 respectivly.
  3. I have no experience with external cards. I use a workstation for work and a renderfarm for rendering. In some cases the workstation for rendering as well.

Using the studio drivers from Nvidia will most likely *not* solve your problems. Im glad to help with specific problems in case you have any.

phil harbath

Feb 16, 2023, 2:49:14 PM2/16/23
to xsi_...@googlegroups.com
I was told the 4000 series should work as well.  I plan on getting on shortly and test it out.

Sven Constable

Feb 19, 2023, 7:54:31 AM2/19/23
to xsi_...@googlegroups.com

Yeah, I don’t see why it shouldn’t work. At least for the GUI.
GPU rendering might be different when using older versions of a renderer that was designed for an older generation of cards.

Feel free to share your experiences when you got the new one. :)

Sven

phil harbath

Feb 19, 2023, 8:16:30 AM2/19/23
to xsi_...@googlegroups.com
I think idea is that 4000 "should" work where 3000 series worked at least for redshift.  I think Redshift worked with 3000 series after version 3.17 or just around that point.  It was somewhere around there.