YOUR TOP 5

Alastair Hearsum

Mar 13, 2014, 5:54:51 AM3/13/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hello

It seems as if I may have some contact with Autodesk shortly! I want to be armed with some points. What I'd like is your top 5 features that make Softimage great that we'd miss if we migrated to something else.

Please don't give me more than 5 and please don't go on too long describing them (It takes a while to read all the posts).

Thanks

Alastair

--
Alastair Hearsum
Head of 3d
Glassworks Terms and Conditions of Sale can be found at glassworks.co.uk
(Company registered in England with number 04759979. Registered office 25 Harley Street, London, W1G 9BR. VAT registration number: 867290000)
Please consider the environment before you print this email.
DISCLAIMER: This e-mail and attachments are strictly privileged, private and confidential and are intended solely for the stated recipient(s). Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Company. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this e-mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If this transmission is received in error please kindly return it to the sender and delete this message from your system.

Leo Quensel

Mar 13, 2014, 6:03:18 AM3/13/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
1 - ICE:
Extremely flexible system for creating all kinds of FX, deformers, etc...

2 - Operator Stack:
True non-destructive workflow and the ability to rearrange operators and inputs at any time (directly related to ICE aswell).

3 - Extremely streamlined UI:
Everything works with everything, fast UI elements like the sticky keys, tweak tool, mini explorer (F3), fast snapping (CTRL)

4 - Explorer:
The explorer is an awesome tool for keeping track of your scenes with the ability to dig down to the operators and attributes

5 - Selections:
The selection system in Soft is super smart and works like you would expect.
Anyone who has gone through the hell of mixing object based and component based selections of Maya probably knows what I mean.
Also Raycast selections, being able to 'paint' selections, rectangle raycast selections, etc... (Maya is also pure hell in this regard)

Gesendet: Donnerstag, 13. März 2014 um 10:54 Uhr
Von: "Alastair Hearsum" <hea...@glassworks.co.uk>
An: "soft...@listproc.autodesk.com" <soft...@listproc.autodesk.com>
Betreff: YOUR TOP 5

Rob Chapman

Mar 13, 2014, 6:03:11 AM3/13/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
1, clean elegant interface
3. Artist driven WorkFlow
3. ICE
4. Particle Strands
5. Animation Mixer

Rob Wuijster

Mar 13, 2014, 6:10:44 AM3/13/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hmmm.... only 5?

1. working renderpass system (don't want to explain the mess that is in Maya)
2. ICE (obviously)
3. construction modes & linear workflow (going back without breaking stuff, or having to start over)
4. data management & models (also asset management)
5. UI / SRT / fields interaction (e.g. multi PPG's, use of equations, ability to build your own UI etc.)

There's more, but..... ;-)

Rob
\/-------------\/----------------\/

No virus found in this message.

Thomas Volkmann

Mar 13, 2014, 6:10:46 AM3/13/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
+ Instancing with ICE, give each instance custom attributes that can be used in the rendertree
+ Construction Modes (using right now: have a 'deform by curve' in 2ndmodeling stack. Modifiyng and using lattices in the first. One viewport showing result and one only current mode)

There's probably lot's of more arguments, but theses are helpful very often and I wouldn't know how to do it in another package (which doesn't mean it's not possible...if it is, please let me know).

Thanks for your effort and good luck with Autodesk!

cheers,
Thomas

Alastair Hearsum <hea...@glassworks.co.uk> hat am 13. März 2014 um 10:54 geschrieben:

Matt Morris

Mar 13, 2014, 6:11:20 AM3/13/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Passes, partitions and overrides. - simplicity of setup and amount of control per pass.
ICE - not just for particles, use it for mesh deformations, strands, texture work, all sorts.
GATOR - for a character rigger this has been a godsend.
Non-linear workflow - the ability to go back and remodel a character, after its been enveloped, UVed, shape animated is huge.
UI. Simple and powerful, with lots of artistically orientated tools.

Peter Agg

Mar 13, 2014, 6:12:30 AM3/13/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
1) Passes/Partitions
2) ICE is obvious, but one of the main reasons it's so handy is because of...
3) The Stack - how easy it is to order and reorder, remove individual operators etc.
4) Plugins that are easily hooked into the existing GUI
5) GATOR

Christian Lattuada

Mar 13, 2014, 6:16:34 AM3/13/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

- UI and interaction at a whole
- Operators, construction stack
- Passes, partitions
- Modeling tools
- ICE

.........:.........
Christian Lattuada

gareth bell

Mar 13, 2014, 6:22:45 AM3/13/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
 - Passes/Partitions/Groups/Overrides etc
 - ICE
 - Ease of scripting / making tools for even a moron like me
 - Operator Stacks
 - UI

Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 11:16:34 +0100
Subject: Re: YOUR TOP 5
From: christian...@gmail.com
To: soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

michael johansson

Mar 13, 2014, 6:25:18 AM3/13/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
1. Artist driven nonlinear workflow
3. UI and interaction
3. Modelling tools
4. Animation Mixer
5. ICE
--
Michael Johansson
Artist/Senior Lecturer/Researcher

Infobloom
Grönegatan 4a
222 24 Lund
Email: mic...@lowend.se

www.lowend.se
www.abadyl.com

Martin Chatterjee

Mar 13, 2014, 6:27:12 AM3/13/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com, Alastair Hearsum
RenderPass management
(has it's flaws - but still is miles ahead of the other alternatives out there)

Construction Stack concept

ICE
(not only for any kind of simulation, but also as a "swiss army knife" for rigging, prototyping, custom deformers, instancing/scattering/ ...)

unified and (fairly) non-destructive workflow
(everything sort of works the same way, with the same interaction philosophy, in any order, ...)

Multi Explorer/PPG concept
(you can manipulate many PPGs of the same kind in Multi Mode, they can be locked or kept live, you can have multiple Explorers open showing the same dataset but with different filters, ... )

object oriented SDK shared between Python and C++
(which makes it possible to "translate" tools prototyped in Python to C++ relatively easy)

Proxy Parameters

And yeah I know, that's more than 5... Sorry for rebelling...  :)

Martin

--
       Martin Chatterjee

[ Freelance Technical Director ]
[   http://www.chatterjee.de   ]

pa...@bustykelp.com

Mar 13, 2014, 6:32:34 AM3/13/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
+1 on this from Leo Quensel

Tim Borgmann

Mar 13, 2014, 6:34:43 AM3/13/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Passes, Partitions, Overrides,Framebuffer - an good way to organize and manipulate your render output
ICE - not only as a particle/sim tool, but as an overall allrounding toolset to create/prototype and/or manipulate
Non destructive Workflow/Operator Stack
Clean UI/Workflow
Shadertree (including the connection to ICE)

Thanks
Tim

Mirko Jankovic

Mar 13, 2014, 6:40:05 AM3/13/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
1. non-destructive workflow
2. Scene explorer and organisation (operator stack, reference models...)
3. rigging and animation (weighting, GATOR...)
4. render passes
5. ICE

Richard Costin

Mar 13, 2014, 6:43:22 AM3/13/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
- Render setup system hugely flexible, visual and powerful. Passes, partitions, overrides and the like. Makes using all other packages seem like a real ball ache.

- ICE of course. It empowers you to create something hugely complex in a very time efficient and flexible manner without needing to be a python guru. Also has created a massive, and amazing ecosystem of ICE resources for the community to share (and they do).

- It is as close to a one stop shop as you will ever get. I can tweak a particle setup say and instantly see it rendered with the regions.

- Clean yet powerful interface. You always know where you and what your scene elements are doing.

- Hugely adaptive to small productions. As you said in your letter Alastair, allows you to really punch above your weight in terms of results vs studio size and project time.

Daniel Kim

Mar 13, 2014, 6:46:05 AM3/13/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
1. Operator Stack
2. Great Modeling Interface
3. Animation Mixer
4. ICE
5. Totally remapable user interface

Daniel Kim
Animation Director & Professional 3D Generalist
http://www.danielkim3d.com

wavo

Mar 13, 2014, 6:54:37 AM3/13/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Ice
Ice
Ice
Ice
modelling tools
operator-stack
community
third-party developers
shape-manager
intuitiv
easy to learn
non-linear-workflow
passes, partition overrides
user-interface easy changeable
Gator

missing fur-tools

--

Walter Volbers
Senior Animator

FIFTYEIGHT 3D
Animation & Digital Effects GmbH

Kontorhaus Osthafen
Lindleystraße 12
60314 Frankfurt am Main
Germany

Telefon +49 (0) 69.48 000 55.50
Telefax +49 (0) 69.48 000 55.15

mailto:wa...@fiftyeight.com
http://www.fiftyeight.com

ESC58
Eine Kooperation der escape GmbH und der FIFTYEIGHT3D GmbH

http://www.ESC58.de

Norbert Kiehne

Mar 13, 2014, 6:55:41 AM3/13/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Operator stack
being able to reorganize and stack deformers makes rigging a lot easier, especially if you add ICE to it

UI
especially the consistency of tools throughout the various windows, the schematic view and the "middle click"

Passes and partitions
all, everybody else mentioned

ICE
all, everybody else mentioned

Data and attribute transfer
the model system, action clips for transferring animation and poses and of course GATOR help a lot to adapt to client changes, when you are already animating shots

Thanks,
Norbert
--
Norbert Kiehne
Senior 3D Artist

Andi Farhall

Mar 13, 2014, 6:57:43 AM3/13/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
My five as simply put as i can.....

workflow - fast an intuitive, enable me to hit ever decreasing deadline.

Ice - a complete game changer, give me the ability to always find a solution to a client's requests.

Render setups - Pass, partitions and overides make multi pass rendering very easy to do, so little wasted on having to set these things up.

Interface - genuinely customisable to give me the best setup for whichever task i'm doing. Unclutered allowing me to see the results of what i'm actually doing.

render region - without this i would spend days just waiting for previews. Lookdev is a pleasure using this.

thanks for all you efforts Alastair, very much appreciated.

Andi

This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Hackney Effects Ltd.

If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone.

From: richard...@gmail.com
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 10:43:22 +0000

Chris Marshall

Mar 13, 2014, 6:58:47 AM3/13/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
1. ICE
2. FX Tree for compositing, migrating to other 3d software would require us to purchase other compositing software
3. Modeling ease of use and stack
4. Passes
5. Everything about it completely ROCKS!

It's a complete toolkit in one package, basically, and there's nothing else like it.

--

Chris Marshall
Mint Motion Limited

Siew Yi Liang

Mar 13, 2014, 7:06:58 AM3/13/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
1. ICE
2. Procedural workflow mindset
3. ANIMATION TOOLSET (we have alt playback framerate, a fast motion trail , proxy parameters, viewport parameters,
synoptic HTML support, HLE curve editing etc.)
4. render region in viewport and accompanying pass system
5. Modeling toolset and interactivity
Yours sincerely,
Siew Yi Liang

Paul Griswold

Mar 13, 2014, 7:15:49 AM3/13/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
1.  It is the only product on the market that allows a small shop or freelancer produce a project end-to-end without requiring a team of people.  The smallest shop can still be a competitor.
2.  Pass system.
3.  ICE
4.  Text-based interface that is logical & easy to get up to speed with (ie. a Maya person can quickly learn & be productive with Softimage, but not the other way around).
5.  See #1 - Maya is not a tool for the freelancer or small shop.  Without Softimage, there is NOTHING Autodesk offers that is worth buying unless you're a mid-large shop.

Artur Woźniak

Mar 13, 2014, 7:17:52 AM3/13/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
1. render passes
2. ICE
3. workflow speed
4. interface setup
5. workflow philosophy (if there is such a thing)

Artur

joshxsi

Mar 13, 2014, 7:21:02 AM3/13/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
1. UI is Intuitive - When you want to do something everything is in one place, Maya has so many places for UI elements its obscene.. shelves.. dialogs attributes across nodes .. you need 5 windows open to work on anything.
2. The Deformers are flexible, you can envelope(skin) a mesh using any object you want, curves, nulls whatever. You can blend a weight map into a shape in one click, no node editor needed.
3. You can save presets from anything - Want to save your weights? or save some values in a custom property? Also proxy parameters are amazing, want the same parameter on two objects in Maya? you need to make two parameters and connect them to a master.
4. GATOR (and Ice as well) - The mesh you have been working on just got re-topologised? No problem, all the shapes and weights can be transfered in two clicks. With ice you can just do a nearest point bind and wrap the new mesh to the old one.
5. Animation - Deltas, Animation Layers, the FCurve editor, all of them just dont compare in Maya.

Jon Swindells

Mar 13, 2014, 7:29:14 AM3/13/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
1. Tool/gfxSequencer API
2. Gator
3. Operators (ICE, scops  - dev and gen usage)
4. Rig and shapes workflow
5. M-tool

--
Jon Swindells

James De Colling

Mar 13, 2014, 7:43:28 AM3/13/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
1. Modelling tools - (everything from snapping / m etc...hell, even the bevel tool is something I cant live without)
2. UI - from the layout to things like multiple instances of the same windows, locking panels etc (I can live without the viewcube...I know its autodesk's gold star feature, but...im ok, thanks)
3. Passes - very intuitive and easy to use.
4. ICE - ive only scratched the surface with it, but its been very handy
5. small things....like the ability to change a texture res displayed in the viewport, per texture, on the fly....very, very handy for checking game texture size. or passing a imageclip through fxtree to get a realtime color correction on it to see what it looks like in the scene next to other models...extremely handy (that said, if rendertree could display realtime edits on clips, that would be even better...no renders please, some of us live in the games world)

meh, choosing 5 best is leaving too much on the table

Alastair Hearsum

Mar 13, 2014, 7:51:31 AM3/13/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com, Maurice Patel
Hi Maurice

I've started a thread that you might be interested in.

Alastair

Alastair Hearsum
Head of 3d
GLASSWORKS
33/34 Great Pulteney Street
London
W1F 9NP
+44 (0)20 7434 1182
glassworks.co.uk
Glassworks Terms and Conditions of Sale can be found at glassworks.co.uk
(Company registered in England with number 04759979. Registered office 25 Harley Street, London, W1G 9BR. VAT registration number: 867290000)
Please consider the environment before you print this email.
DISCLAIMER: This e-mail and attachments are strictly privileged, private and confidential and are intended solely for the stated recipient(s). Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Company. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this e-mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If this transmission is received in error please kindly return it to the sender and delete this message from your system.

Eugen Sares

Mar 13, 2014, 7:53:55 AM3/13/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
1 - UI: clean, UNCLUTTERED, TEXT-BASED (I just hate gaudy, kitchy icons!!!!!), intuitive, consistent. Multi-PPGs, supra/sticky keys, all the small goodies (MMB etc), ...
2 - scene interaction: almost no viewport clutter, clean snapping, perfect working pivot, perfect selection engine, ...
3 - modeling tools that simply work the way you would expect, clean and logic subdivision surfaces
4 - operator stack / non-linear workflow
5 - render passes
(I leave ICE out here, because it's just obvious, and who knows what Bifröst is going to be)

Marco Peixoto

Mar 13, 2014, 8:04:22 AM3/13/14
to Eugen Sares, soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
1- Operator Stack (Modeling, Shape Modeling Animation, Secondary Shape Modeling)

2 - GATOR, Ultimapper, Motor

3- World/Local Coordinates always available

4- Shape Manager

5- Constraints/Parent Compensation and Neutral Pose info

Ed Manning

Mar 13, 2014, 8:08:25 AM3/13/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
  1. full functionality available to a non-scripting, non-technical artist (some people are calling this the "out-of-the-box" or "pipeline-in-a-box" quality)
  2. ICE, which extends this notion to a granular level
  3. workflow smoothness -- relatively few clicks, multi-ppg mode, middle-mouse repeat, etc.
  4. operator stack, especially reordering
  5. this one is hard to describe -- it's mostly in contrast to Maya's inability to do a lot of things that seem feasible at first glance -- I guess it's due primarily to the operator stack and ordering; essentially it's the robustness of combinations of operators and tools in Softimage.  Working lately with some very talented Maya artists, there have been a LOT of conversations that start with me asking "can you do X?" and end with "no, there's no way to do that," "yes, but I'd have to start over with that built-in to the rig first," "yes, there's a script for that but I have to modify it," or "yes, but when I apply it, it breaks Y."  This just happens a lot less in Soft.

Robert Cole

Mar 13, 2014, 8:11:25 AM3/13/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Render Pass management and Overrides.
Render Tree
ICE
Excellent and customizable interface.
Non-linear approach.

Jordi Bares

Mar 13, 2014, 8:17:18 AM3/13/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Let's dream...

1 - ICE
2 - Rendering workflow (Passes, etc..)
3 - Animation and Rigging toolset
4 - Modelling and Texturing toolset
5 - Artist driven Non-Linear Workflow

Jordi Bares
jordi...@gmail.com

Nuno Conceicao

Mar 13, 2014, 8:23:55 AM3/13/14
to Eugen Sares, soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
1. Scene Explorer  which is great for scene assembly, more intuitive, cleaner and fast, also helps setting up passes faster while maya Outliner is as close as bad as 3dsMax's Object lister, both quite limited compared to XSI's
2. It has a good and efficient construction stack which works!!! (Maya's is just a joke or non existent)
3. Easy, complete and reliable pass system ( I did Lighting in Maya's for a few years and its pass system has many flaws)
4. Good rigging tools like Gator, ShapeManager, EnvelopeWeighting (I'm sure there are more but I'm not a rigger, I did heard many riggers saying maya's weight painting is not as good as XSI's and I'm sure there are more arguments in this field)
5. ICE to rule it all (there are so many things you can do with ICE but I think the best is the fact ICE is great for fixing any issue quickly that can come up in your production, thus making it a perfect feature to make XSI as complete as it is)

To sum it up Softimage is more financial efficient than Maya  because it does more and faster with less TDs, although this is an argument that I would be a bit reluctant to bring up to Autodesk since their purpose is to sell more seats not less.
The thing is, imho, with Softimage, any small to medium shop has more chances of surviving financially than it has if its using Maya, but I'm sure you already know that if you have Maya experience.

Good luck with your call or meeting

adrian wyer

Mar 13, 2014, 8:45:30 AM3/13/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

As Paul said;

Juan Brockhaus

Mar 13, 2014, 8:48:04 AM3/13/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hi,

thanks for all the effort Alastair!!

here are mine

1 - ICE (sim and swiss army knife -> game changer!)
2 - Animation and Rigging toolset
3 - Artist driven Non-Linear Workflow
4 - Rendering workflow (Passes, Partitions, etc..)
5 - scripting and workgroups

much more of course there is, but patient I have to be...

cheers,

Juan

Greg Punchatz

Mar 13, 2014, 9:34:36 AM3/13/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
1. Non linear character pipe
2. Passes.. Partitions.. Render tree design
3. Poly Modeling
4. Explorer
5. ICE

Greg Punchatz
Sr. Creative Director
Janimation
214.823.7760
www.janimation.com

Martin Yara

Mar 13, 2014, 9:37:30 AM3/13/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Stack concept is probably my favorite feature that I know Maya won't have ever but I'll try not to post the same tools everybody is posting:

- Snapping that simply works as you expect. Most Maya users slide the mouse to snap to points. We just click.

- Move Tool (M key)
Maya's NEX Modeling Toolkit is close enough to move components but still lacks the magnet and merge. Move an edge loop with magnet and middle click is a must in my workflow.

- Weight tools : Weight painting, Weight Editor and Smooth Weights that work as expected without having to lock everything, etc.

- Reference planes for modeling (Im not sure if Maya has something like this)

- Friendly GUI in general. Ex, Keyboard Re-Mapping Tool, aritmetic functions in PPG boxes, multiple ppgs, easily detect double edges in the viewport, colors in UV borders to know which edges are connected in the UV Editor, etc.

and a lot more !

Martin

Christopher Crouzet

Mar 13, 2014, 10:15:07 AM3/13/14
to Softimage Mailing List
It would be more fair to regroup the list of top5 into distinct categories: modelling, rigging, animation, rendering, FX ... and a general one for the workflow, UI, and such.

Here's a quickie from my experience of using Maya in rigging/dev:

Rigging
- friendly weights painting and spreadsheet that works just the way they are supposed to
- GATOR. And please don't compare this wonder to the Transfer Attributes of Maya.
- being able to do live corrective shapes on a deformed mesh

General
- ICE
- the API... seriously, having a logical and consistent API that is easy to use and don't need additional efforts to do simple dev tasks won't go in the way of flexibility. I don't know of any dev who didn't complain about Maya's API.
- proper and complete port of the API to Python

On 13 March 2014 04:54, Alastair Hearsum <hea...@glassworks.co.uk> wrote:
Hello

It seems as if I may have some contact with Autodesk shortly! I want to be armed with some points. What I'd like is your top 5 features that make Softimage great that we'd miss if we migrated to something else.

Please don't give me more than 5 and please don't go on too long describing them (It takes a while to read all the posts).

Thanks

Alastair

--
Alastair Hearsum
Head of 3d
GLASSWORKS
33/34 Great Pulteney Street
London
W1F 9NP
+44 (0)20 7434 1182
glassworks.co.uk

Jacob Gonzalez

Mar 13, 2014, 10:29:14 AM3/13/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

1 - Render Passes Partitions
2 - ICE
3 -  UI in general: specially the Render Tree
4 - Animation Toolset
5 - Not intuitive. Most people learn XSI faster than they learn Maya.

Tim Crowson

Mar 13, 2014, 10:38:01 AM3/13/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
- ICE (all of it)
- Operator stack (this NOT the same as construction history!)
- Render passes/partitions... and their reliability!
- The Tweak Tool and all its bells and whistles!
- Workgroups

Godspeed, Alastair!

-Tim

Marco Peixoto

Mar 13, 2014, 10:40:38 AM3/13/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Can I add a 6th one? :

Please "fix-recode-whatever" the Select Father and everything beneath it is selected as well, if we hide the Father the entire Hierarchy get Hidden...this is just INSANE and doesnt even make sense.

Also Having Groups and Shadow Icons in Maya would help a lot.

Ok its 8 but :)

Pablo Tufaro

Mar 13, 2014, 10:41:23 AM3/13/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Here´s my tip 5!

1-Explorer
2-Render Passes/Partitions/Overrides
3-ICE
4-Render Tree
5-Animation mixer.

Jordi Bares

Mar 13, 2014, 10:59:29 AM3/13/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I would suggest Alastair to have a poll, will be easier to do…

Anyway, would you mind sharing your final list? I am fascinated by what the community of artists say.

Thomas Volkmann

Mar 13, 2014, 11:06:29 AM3/13/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
WORKGROUPS!!! I forgot to mention WORKGROUPS!!!!

Jordi Bares <jordi...@gmail.com> hat am 13. März 2014 um 15:59 geschrieben:

Stephen Blair

Mar 13, 2014, 11:26:43 AM3/13/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Row Labels Count of Feature
ICE 11
Render Passes/Partitions/Overrides 9
Operator stack 7
Non-linear character animation 5
GUI 5
Explorer 4
Workgroups 3
Render Tree 3
GATOR 3
Artist driven non-linear workflow 3
Weighting 3
Polygon Modeling 3
Tweak Tool 2
Snapping 1
Animation toolset 1
Ultimapper 1
Animation Mixer 1
Shape manager 1
Motor 1
Live Corrective Shapes 1
Texturing toolset 1
API 1
Usability 1
Scripting 1
Workflow 1
Selections 1
Python 1
Reference planes 1
(blank)
Grand Total 76

Alexander Akbarov

Mar 13, 2014, 11:32:53 AM3/13/14
to Thomas Volkmann, soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I think ability to change several objects properties simultaneously without involving any clumsy tools is very useful too.

pet...@skynet.be

Mar 13, 2014, 11:26:01 AM3/13/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
XSI top 5:

1. non linear, non destructive workflow -
operator stack, construction modes,...
2. interface – it’s consistent, logical, text not icons, intuitive interaction, not cluttered while so many things are easily accessible
3. general purpose tools – eg. gator can serve so many different purposes
4. nodal tools (ICE, rendertree, fxtree)
5. artist / tech / pipeline friendly

Alastair Hearsum

Mar 13, 2014, 11:39:55 AM3/13/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Jordi

I've got a bunch of columns and I'm copying and pasting the headline items from the users into them. The front runners are no surprise and in this order :

interface/worklow
ICE
render passes
operator stack
construction history

Alastair Hearsum
Head of 3d
GLASSWORKS
33/34 Great Pulteney Street
London
W1F 9NP
+44 (0)20 7434 1182
glassworks.co.uk
Glassworks Terms and Conditions of Sale can be found at glassworks.co.uk
(Company registered in England with number 04759979. Registered office 25 Harley Street, London, W1G 9BR. VAT registration number: 867290000)
Please consider the environment before you print this email.
DISCLAIMER: This e-mail and attachments are strictly privileged, private and confidential and are intended solely for the stated recipient(s). Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Company. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this e-mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If this transmission is received in error please kindly return it to the sender and delete this message from your system.

Chris Marshall

Mar 13, 2014, 11:45:11 AM3/13/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Am I the only person using the FX Tree? It's a very big plus for us.

Greg Punchatz

Mar 13, 2014, 11:53:15 AM3/13/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I wont use it... it never was up to par IMO.  It has the worst UI and workflow of the entire app.

Greg Punchatz
Sr. Creative Director
Janimation
214.823.7760
www.janimation.com

Chris Marshall

Mar 13, 2014, 11:59:04 AM3/13/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Greg, when you use it day in day out, not needing to switch between apps, its a life saver, believe me, rubbish UI or not.
--

Chris Marshall
Mint Motion Limited

Simon Reeves

Mar 13, 2014, 12:01:02 PM3/13/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
If it's mostly relative to other autodesk apps, I'm mostly comparing to 3dsmax...

ICE
Explorer -  the backbone and ridiculously powerful and clear - and that encapsulates what is great about passes/partitions/group + so much more. But I can't put it as well as Nuno:
"1. Scene Explorer  which is great for scene assembly, more intuitive, cleaner and fast, also helps setting up passes faster while maya Outliner is as close as bad as 3dsMax's Object lister, both quite limited compared to XSI's"
Multiple Object select editing which you don't realise how great it is until you don't have it (max)
Scripting is so straight forward in xsi - the editor is great, the help is so accessible, feedback is great, again, 10x better than when I've done some scripting in Max/Maya/Nuke

Ognjen Vukovic

Mar 13, 2014, 12:15:11 PM3/13/14
to softimage
ice
explorer
workroups
pass/partition/overide
color4passthrough :)

Luc-Eric Rousseau

Mar 13, 2014, 12:20:22 PM3/13/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 11:59 AM, Chris Marshall
<chrisma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I wont use it... it never was up to par IMO. It has the worst UI and workflow of the entire app.
> Greg, when you use it day in day out, not needing to switch between apps, its a life saver, believe me, rubbish UI or not.

If you're opened to "rubbish UI" and want to save money, you'll get a
lot more power and floating point support out of Toxik... ;)
That said, someone did add compositing tools in the hypershade in
Maya 2012.. http://tinyurl.com/obkqbu2

Chris Vienneau

Mar 13, 2014, 12:26:08 PM3/13/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Please keep responding to this thread. Great info!

It seems as if I may have some contact with Autodesk shortly! I want to be armed with some points. What I'd like is your top 5 features that make Softimage great that we'd miss if we migrated to something else.

Please don't give me more than 5 and please don't go on too long describing them (It takes a while to read all the posts).

Thanks

Alastair
--
Alastair Hearsum
Head of 3d
[GLASSWORKS]
33/34 Great Pulteney Street
London
W1F 9NP
+44 (0)20 7434 1182
glassworks.co.uk<http://www.glassworks.co.uk/>
winmail.dat

Szabolcs Matefy

Mar 13, 2014, 12:26:27 PM3/13/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
As a modeler:

1. Non destructive modeling system
2. Snapping
3. Construction history
4. quick reference coordinate system
5. Scene explorer

As a technical animator

1. Skinning
2. Actions and Mixer
3. GROUPING SYSTEM!!!!!
4. Model node
5. Construction history
+1 Explorer :)

Chris Marshall

Mar 13, 2014, 12:28:01 PM3/13/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I'm actually happy with the UI, it serves a purpose and delivers results quickly. That's what we need.

Angus Davidson

Mar 13, 2014, 12:36:02 PM3/13/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Personally Its one of the great shames in Si that the FX tree was left to gather dust. Today the UI is dated and a bit clunky but if all your after is comping layers then it does the job exceedingly well. For small shops where having to lay out additional money on a comping software was too expensive it was a godsend.

While the UI is outdated it is visual in a way that makes it easy to understand whats going on which is important when dealing with students new to concept of comping.

Blender have now taken this torch and have decent compositor inside the app.

Mar 13, 2014, 12:44:11 PM3/13/14