The Autodesk folder - what goes and what stays?

Paul Griswold

Dec 9, 2013, 3:34:39 PM12/9/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Is there a FAQ or any documentation anywhere that can explain what can and cannot be deleted from the C:\Autodesk folder?

I'm in the process of cloning a system drive over to a 1TB SSD and noticed the C:\Autodesk folder contained around 31GB worth of files going back to Softimage 2010.

I don't want to break anything, but I'd love to free up space.

On top of that folder, are there other folders that can be occasionally swept clean?

Thanks,

Paul

Ben Houston

Dec 9, 2013, 3:47:12 PM12/9/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I think everything can be deleted?  It just holds temporarly installation files I thought.  But get confirmation from someone else before deleting it just so that I am not held responsible if there is other stuff. :)

Maybe post the top level contents of the direction to confirm that it is just the setup files.
-ben
--
Best regards,
Ben Houston

Rob Wuijster

Dec 9, 2013, 3:48:40 PM12/9/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Isn't that just the default temp install folder?

Rob
\/-------------\/----------------\/

No virus found in this message.

Paul Griswold

Dec 9, 2013, 3:55:09 PM12/9/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
That's my impression, but better safe than sorry.

You'd think Autodesk would give the option of removing installation files once completed.

Sergio Mucino

Dec 9, 2013, 3:55:20 PM12/9/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I think it's just where all installation files are uncompressed.

Eric Thivierge

Dec 9, 2013, 3:58:59 PM12/9/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Maybe something worth officially requesting...

Paul Griswold

Dec 9, 2013, 4:00:32 PM12/9/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Maybe......

And it's not just Softimage.  It's everything Autodesk.  I have Inventor Fusion in there, SketchBookPro, etc.  So it's an Autodesk problem as a whole.

Stephen Blair

Dec 9, 2013, 4:05:03 PM12/9/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
C:\Autodesk is where the downloaded installers extract themselves. You can delete them if you want. Those folders having nothing to do with the installed applications.

Ivan Tay

Dec 9, 2013, 11:16:19 PM12/9/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Those are installer folders under c:\autodesk. Safe to delete them

Ivan

Sent from my iPhone, please excuse for typos.
[https://mailfoogae.appspot.com/t?guid=2b66c9c8-41db-4b11-92c5-ca1b182de584]

winmail.dat

Martin Yara

Dec 10, 2013, 4:44:18 AM12/10/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
It is annoying and I can't understand why the installer can't delete it's own temporary files, but to be fair, Autodesk is not the only one doing this. Nvidia and ATI does the same I think. I'm not sure but I think I had some Adobe folders too. I'm just too used to manually delete all those folders that I can't remember.

Simon Reeves

Dec 10, 2013, 5:24:42 AM12/10/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Yeah it's silly really

Matthew Carpenter

Dec 10, 2013, 10:16:36 AM12/10/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Its where the installers uncompress the packages containing the setups. Any of the Autodesk windows installers write to this location. You can delete the entire contents if you wish, but will have problems if you run the setup in maintenance/restore mode as it will not be able to find the setup files.

If you decide to delete the files and need to run the setup again at a later date, just uncompress the installers again from the original web download package.