2012 AP

adrian wyer

Aug 9, 2011, 5:54:56 AM8/9/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?siteID=123112&id=15500444

not much info but some welcome enhancements.... would have been nice to get the after effects interop that max got though!

Adrian Wyer
Fluid Pictures
75-77 Margaret St.
London
W1W 8SY
++44(0) 207 580 0829

www.fluid-pictures.com

Fluid Pictures Limited is registered in England and Wales.
Company number:5657815
VAT number: 872 6893 71

Stefan Kubicek

Aug 9, 2011, 6:05:32 AM8/9/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
"Add Smooth Edge Loop tool"
omg, finally!

"Selection tools—Create different component selections faster and more easily".
Seriously, there's room for improvement?

Animation & scene management—Enjoy improved overall productivity with a number of enhancements that increase efficiency throughout the pipeline.
Any more info on this?

"...ability to attach and run script code inside ICE Compound Property Pages."
Killer!

> http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?siteID=123112
> <http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?siteID=123112&id=15500444>

> &id=15500444
>

> not much info but some welcome enhancements.... would have been nice to get
> the after effects interop that max got though!

> Adrian Wyer
> Fluid Pictures
> 75-77 Margaret St.
> London
> W1W 8SY
> ++44(0) 207 580 0829
>

> adria...@fluid-pictures.com

> <blocked::mailto:adria...@fluid-pictures.com>
>
> www.fluid-pictures.com <blocked::http://www.fluid-pictures.com/>

> Fluid Pictures Limited is registered in England and Wales.
> Company number:5657815
> VAT number: 872 6893 71

Stefan Kubicek Co-founder
keyvis digital imagery
Wehrgasse 9 - Grüner Hof
1050 Vienna Austria
Phone: +43/699/12614231
--- www.keyvis.at ste...@keyvis.at ---
-- This email and its attachments are
--confidential and for the recipient only--

Fabian Schnuer

Aug 9, 2011, 6:45:50 AM8/9/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
It would be nice for the cap holes functionality to be added to the Knife tool ppg as a checkbox or at a button to call it up. Other than that the modelling tools alone are very welcome for day to day work.

Best regards,
Fabian

Eugen Sares

Aug 9, 2011, 6:47:43 AM8/9/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
"...thickness, hole capping, edge cutting, and extrusion..."
Finally!!!
I feel the ground shaking! ;}

On Tue, 09 Aug 2011 12:05:32 +0200, Stefan Kubicek <s...@tidbit-images.com>

Artem Kuzmenko

Aug 9, 2011, 6:52:13 AM8/9/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
"ability to attach and run script code inside ICE Compound Property Pages"
Can someone comment on this, please? I hardly understand how this will work

Stephen Blair

Aug 9, 2011, 6:53:12 AM8/9/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Like for shader compounds. PPG Logic.
winmail.dat

GBOT

Aug 9, 2011, 7:09:17 AM8/9/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
>>Like for shader compounds. PPG Logic.
Like nodes such as scalar basic\multi-math etc which code could be redacted directly form render tree ? Or it is just ability do some compaund GUI improvements such ? Sorry for misunderstanding

Szabolcs Matefy

Aug 9, 2011, 7:41:04 AM8/9/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Any more info, when it’s available?

Cheers

Aug 9, 2011, 7:44:17 AM8/9/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I think end of september was mentioned.

Stephen Blair

Aug 9, 2011, 7:43:40 AM8/9/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Nope, no more info about availability.

In the compound properties, there's a PPG Logic button.
That allows you to provide the usual PPG callbacks (which are saved in the ppglogic element of the .xiscompound).

Like <Parameter>_OnChanged

winmail.dat

Steffen Dünner

Aug 9, 2011, 7:57:34 AM8/9/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Maya SAP is announced for september 27th. I guess Softimage will be available around that day as well...

2011/8/9 Stephen Blair <Stephe...@autodesk.com>

--
PGP-ID(RSA): 0xCCE2E989 / 0xE045734C CCE2E989
Fingerprint: 394B 3DA9 9A9A 96C6  3A5A 0595 EF92 EE1F

Jason Brynford-Jones

Aug 9, 2011, 8:04:09 AM8/9/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Videos and Feature List here:

http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/marks/good_grief_has_it_been_a_year_already_softimage_2012_5_is_here

________________________________
not much info but some welcome enhancements.... would have been nice to get the after effects interop that max got though!

Adrian Wyer
Fluid Pictures
75-77 Margaret St.
London
W1W 8SY
++44(0) 207 580 0829

adria...@fluid-pictures.com<UrlBlockedError.aspx>
www.fluid-pictures.com<UrlBlockedError.aspx>

winmail.dat

Graham Bell

Aug 9, 2011, 8:12:48 AM8/9/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I haven’t seen anything that says a date, we normally just go with ‘late September’

Aug 9, 2011, 8:18:13 AM8/9/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
On the selection tools - is it too late for a request?

Pattern selections!  Modo has had these since v1.  If I select a poly, skip one (or two, etc), select the next, then start to grow my selection, it follows the pattern around the loop.

Overall, I'm loving the new modeling additions, though.  Very cool and much needed stuff!!

Paul

Marco Peixoto

Aug 9, 2011, 8:54:10 AM8/9/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Smooth Brush pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee :)

Dont need to be fancy like Zbrush/Mudbox but if it works like Maya one it would be a very usefull.

Rob Wuijster

Aug 9, 2011, 9:02:15 AM8/9/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Add 'move center to vertices' to the RMB menu, and please get some workflow friendlier SRT Increments system for the transform properties ;-)

Rob Wuijster
E ro...@casema.nl

\/-------------\/----------------\/

No virus found in this message.

Williams, Wayne

Aug 9, 2011, 9:09:36 AM8/9/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

For some reason all I can think of now is a petulant Noah telling God, “No, YOU fill the ark up!” and God proceeds to rain down fire, manna and t-rex’s. Great stuff guys! The modeling tools are most definitely appreciated!

-wayne

Mirko Jankovic

Aug 9, 2011, 9:28:23 AM8/9/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
SI still lives!!! :)

Any plans on view port improvement on the side note? I know I know old story of fancy eye candy vs performance but still.. we should at least be able to show shadows and textures down the render tree in there ;)

Marc-Andre Carbonneau

Aug 9, 2011, 9:54:26 AM8/9/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

 This is a final list announcement and all people want is MOOORE!! LOL!

It does feel like a tiny release they had to build for Siggraph. But they’re surely working on something bigger for beginning of next year, no? Whatdyathink?

At least we already have render passes. If you want to laugh, just look at the new State Sets of MAX! ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Dm6nwiF7nSg

Add 'move center to vertices' to the RMB menu, and please get some workflow friendlier SRT Increments system for the transform properties ;-)

Stefan Kubicek

Aug 9, 2011, 9:57:12 AM8/9/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
That one made me chuckle too :-)

> At least we already have render passes. If you want to laugh, just look at the new State Sets of MAX! ;)
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Dm6nwiF7nSg

Stefan Kubicek Co-founder
keyvis digital imagery

Wehrgasse 9 - Grï¿œner Hof

Stephen Blair

Aug 9, 2011, 9:56:49 AM8/9/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
It's a Subscription Advantage Pack.
A benefit of being on Subscription is that you get early access to some of the features that will be part of the next major release.

Marc-Andre Carbonneau

Aug 9, 2011, 10:13:31 AM8/9/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Thanks for the clarification Stephen. We’ll get used to the new Autodesk release cycles soon. Promise. ;)

I’m happy, at least they’re stuff to chew on while we wonder what’s coming…

A benefit of being on Subscription is that you get early access to some of the features that will be part of the next major release.

Jeremie Passerin

Aug 9, 2011, 10:19:12 AM8/9/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
"Bullet Physics—Take advantage of enhanced collision detection in ICE (Interactive Creative Environment) and rigid body simulations with newly integrated Bullet Physics."

It sounds a little bit like Momentum to me ... :)

Small tools, but really useful !! The kind of tools you use on a dailybase !

nice!

Tim Crowson

Aug 9, 2011, 10:18:55 AM8/9/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Yeah, I sometimes take individual dense meshes into modo just to take advantage of the pattern selection! I seem to recall a plug-in that did something similar for XSI, but it wasn't as fluid.

And the lack of mesh "sculpting" tools is a bummer. I don't mean high-res sculpting like Zbrush, but simply tools that work on the actual mesh to push and pinch, etc...

We're still on 2011.... now we're really going to want to move to 2012, as if ICE modeling didn't have that effect enough already...

- Tim C.
Magnetic Dreams

Eugen Sares

Aug 9, 2011, 10:20:19 AM8/9/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Just watched the videos... all welcome and reasonable improvements! Many
thanks!

Zoom on Cursor... bless you, really!! =D
Does this work for node-views as well? Schematic, Rendertree, ICE, ...?

Yet it wouldn't be us were we ever satisfied... but hey, that's human
nature... keeps the business running after all...

- ExtrudeAlongNormal is nice, yet Fabricio's PowerExtrude will still be a
obligatory addon as it seems.
- ICE support for Nurbs(Surfs and Curves).
- SDK improvements for Clusters... (again...)
- unified Surround Select option, working not only for Polys and Edges,
but for everything: Object, Bones, Nulls, whatever.

Adam Seeley

Aug 9, 2011, 10:17:51 AM8/9/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hi,

Can we propogate Ice Trees through Groups or Branch application?

I'm assuming not, but I would love to be able to.
e.g. Build an Ice tree on a Group so that all members are effected or allow a Branch Ice trees.

Cheers,

Adam.

winmail.dat

Tim Crowson

Len Krenzler

Aug 9, 2011, 11:02:51 AM8/9/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
rcTools has pattern selection and works very well along with other great things like cap hole.  You can find it here: http://rray.de/xsi/

He's updated it quite regularly.

GBOT

Aug 9, 2011, 11:02:58 AM8/9/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
>>Stephen Blair
Big thanks for reply. And one more question about Bullet physics implementation on ICE - will it support polygon islands as different objects ?

Paul Griswold

Aug 9, 2011, 11:08:43 AM8/9/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Honestly I have never been able to get RCTools pattern selections to work and finally just gave up on it.  I'm sure it's something simple, but it's not obvious to me.

What's cool with what I've seen in modo is, modo seems to learn what you want - so if you select a poly, skip 2 and select another one, it will then walk the mesh skipping every 2 polys.  You don't define a pattern in a menu somewhere, it just works.

Paul

Rob Wuijster

Aug 9, 2011, 11:10:21 AM8/9/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
And in what way is this implementation different/similar to the Momentum one from Helge/Exocortex?
Rob

\/-------------\/----------------\/

On 8/9/2011 05:02 PM, GBOT wrote:
>>Stephen Blair
Big thanks for reply. And one more question about Bullet physics implementation on ICE - will it support polygon islands as different objects ?

No virus found in this message.

--0016364165f5fc8b7b04aa13dbea--

Juhani Karlsson

Aug 9, 2011, 11:10:46 AM8/9/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Was I the only one that thought the annotation objects were cool!?

- Juhani

Marco Peixoto

Aug 9, 2011, 11:12:26 AM8/9/11
to ro...@casema.nl, soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Tinny tools like this make a huge improvement while working, they are much needed IMO and a very very welcome addition, lets hope Soft guys keep adding them more regularly like a true symmetry modeling and did i asked already for at least a simple Maya like Smooth Brush? :)

Len Krenzler

Aug 9, 2011, 11:12:54 AM8/9/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
It might not be quite the same as Modo but the last few releases have worked well for me.  If you need it now, you might want to check it out.

Len Krenzler - Creative Control Media Productions

Phone: 780.463.3126

www.creativecontrol.ca - l...@creativecontrol.ca

Grahame Fuller

Aug 9, 2011, 11:19:43 AM8/9/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Not at the moment.

gray

winmail.dat

Tim Crowson

Aug 9, 2011, 11:27:37 AM8/9/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
No, I'm with you!

Plus....Pooby can now add dialog to his zombies and give us a real show! :-)

-Tim C.

Christopher Tedin

Aug 9, 2011, 12:01:29 PM8/9/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Mmmm.... Brains....
(right-click to eat brains)

-Chris Tedin
--
Christopher Tedin

Octavian Ureche

Aug 9, 2011, 2:48:39 PM8/9/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
SAP features look really nice. Some long overdue stuff in there...
Got a couple of small questions though...
Looking over the maya demo, it looks to me that bullet is being integrated fully (with both rigid and soft bodies), constrains and openCL acceleration. Watching the softimage demo, it seems that it only deals with rigid bodies and no openCL...
is that correct?
Second, i was extremely happy to finally see someone integrating allembic ootb (sidefx, and now autodesk with maya).
Is it integrated as well in softimage? and if not...when can we expect a similar integration?
PS. autodesk finally gave maya's hypergraph/connection editor an overhaul (it was a fossil). Do i sense some ice visual logic in there, like in the case of project skyline?

cheers,
Octav

Steven Caron

Aug 9, 2011, 3:00:08 PM8/9/11
On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 11:48 AM, Octavian Ureche <okt...@gmail.com> wrote:
Looking over the maya demo, it looks to me that bullet is being integrated fully (with both rigid and soft bodies), constrains and openCL acceleration. Watching the softimage demo, it seems that it only deals with rigid bodies and no openCL...
is that correct?

integrating bullet in ICE was to answer physx not having actual shape collision. i know having a full integration OOTB is desirable and really makes your subscription cost worth it but i like that we have 3rd parties doing amazing work and would hate to see them be dissuaded from continuing to develop for softimage ( exocortex/helge with momentum specifically ).

Second, i was extremely happy to finally see someone integrating allembic ootb (sidefx, and now autodesk with maya).
Is it integrated as well in softimage? and if not...when can we expect a similar integration?

having alembic support natively would be awesome, especially since softimage plugin from the community would be far less likely than one created for maya. in effect the community supported maya plugin m,ight be redundant with maya implementing it natively.

PS. autodesk finally gave maya's hypergraph/connection editor an overhaul (it was a fossil). Do i sense some ice visual logic in there, like in the case of project skyline?

it looks more like slate material editor and ephere stuff in 3dsmax. actually...

cheers,
Octav

Eric Cosky

Aug 9, 2011, 3:01:52 PM8/9/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

From the sounds of it the 2012 UI toolkit might make this a possibility now. Would be nice to have!

Sent: Tuesday, August 09, 2011 5:18 AM
To: soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Eric Cosky

Aug 9, 2011, 3:07:09 PM8/9/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Can someone elaborate on this 2012SAP item a bit? I use RTShaders daily and I think this could mean a couple different things so I'm curious what exactly it means:

" RTS - Added support for automatic RTS shader updates"

"ability to attach and run script code inside ICE Compound Property Pages"
Can someone comment on this, please? I hardly understand how this will work

Eric Cosky

Aug 9, 2011, 3:07:09 PM8/9/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

I liked them. I liked all of the new tools to be honest not just because they are useful but because they demonstrate how it is now possible to create interactive tools with real power using the new SDK APIs (ICE+UI). I think/hope this is just the beginning of a flood of useful interactive addons that are intuitive to use in a viewport and no longer require us to use a PPG or clunky “pick” sequences as the only way to control the behavior.

Aug 9, 2011, 3:11:42 PM8/9/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Indeed Steven, fair enough with autodesk not stepping over the same
tracks as 3rd parties and eventually putting them out of business. As
for the connections ui, it does look a little alien... (i don't really
know what the max stuff looks like...).
Integrated allembic support would be godsent....

Graham Bell

Aug 9, 2011, 3:12:06 PM8/9/11