need advice Xpress-SP

hev03

Jan 25, 2009, 12:34:14 AM1/25/09
to Xpress-MP
Hi,

I am very new to Xpress-MP. I have a stochastic mixed integer linear
problem to solve. As I read on website, seems like it can be solved
using Xpress-SP (as I need some scenario generation) which is solver
for stochastic problems. But I have no idea how to use Xpress-SP. It
has been mentioned that there is Xpress-SP reference manual but I have
searched a lot and I can't find it. Can anyone tell me anything about
it?

To me it seemed if this manual is only for dashoptimization's clients
so I can't get it if I am using student version?
can I use Xpress-SP module on student version?

Thanks.

Eelco

Jan 25, 2009, 6:27:15 AM1/25/09
to Xpress-MP
Hi,

I am also quite new on this, but what I know thusfar is this. There is
a student version available at dashoptimization.com, only it is
limited in the number of nonzero variables and dimensions.
I am also busy with stochastic mixed integer problems and with xpress-
mp you can call the solver mmsp which allows you to create a scenario
tree. However, I don't know if this solver is available for the
student version. You can try in downloading the solver and check if it
works, but thinking logically i don't think it will because of the
dimensions of the student version. Generating scenario trees will
increase the number of constraints in your model.

There are some manuals available at this website and they are quite
helpful, since there are some examples presented.

Hope this helps!

Eelco

Oakley, Chris

Jan 26, 2009, 5:11:13 AM1/26/09
to xpre...@googlegroups.com
The SP module is now available for free, along with the source.

http://www.dashoptimization.com/home//products/modules/modules.html

No additional licensing is required, thus the module will work with the
student version. However, the student problem dimension limitations will
still apply. The module is better suited to being used with the full
licenses available through the Academic Partner Program.

Chris.