Xnoise development is over

shuerhaaken

Jun 23, 2014, 8:19:03 AM6/23/14
to xno...@googlegroups.com
Hello

I started doing xnoise in 2008 and I spent quite some time developing it
and that was fun for me! With the nice and then newly created vala
language, it was a great adventure to gain more experience by adding new
features, speeding things up and discussing design issues.

Problem is, I lost development contributors and I wasn't able to
interest others to join the development of xnoise. With me now having
less time, I decided to let this project die.
Anybody can fork xnoise and proceed, but I'm out. Sorry for the
inconvenience.

Thanks to all helpers, contributors and translators!

Best Regards

Ibai Oihanguren Sala

Jun 23, 2014, 8:38:16 AM6/23/14
to xnoise
Thank you for everything!
Please let us know if you start another project that needs localization.

Ibai.

Bas Bieling

Jun 23, 2014, 8:41:41 AM6/23/14
to xno...@googlegroups.com, shuer...@googlemail.com

I got worried about the state of xnoise when I found out that the latest update in
the fedora repos broke the application. There seemed to be no patch for a long
time. I'd been thinking about contributing to xnoise for a while now but I couldn't
really make time for myself to actually do it. I love xnoise. It's by far my favorite
music player. I'd love to fork it and continue working on it. Fixing bugs that I'd
been wanting to fix for a while now (lastfm bugs etc) and maybe even add some
features. Too bad you're stopping the development.

Best of luck. You left us with an awesome product, lets hope we can continue
to maintain it.

Sérgio Marques

Jun 25, 2014, 8:13:17 AM6/25/14
to xno...@googlegroups.com, shuer...@googlemail.com
How about porting xnoise to Qt and ask help in new LxQt desktop devs?

Will you also stop libtaginfo developement?

Regards

Tal Hadad

Jun 25, 2014, 9:25:05 AM6/25/14
to Xnoise mailing-list
I'm sorry to hear that xnoise die...
I think that there is still big improvements that xnoise could do in order to attract other people(it did attract Ubuntu family), and I think it could be loved by Vala fans.

My personal experience with xnoise and Jorn: (I'm sorry, I never know how to put this special "r" character in your name. ASCI code please?)
* Translate Hebrew when only 30% was translated by other person.
* Fix Gtk RTL(Right to Left) languages bugs.
* Argue with everybody what is best for Xnoise and what is not.
* Debian mentoring
* Porting to Windows (Worked only without music&video playing... Damn GStreamer!!!!)
* More Debian mentoring tries...
* Still argue with everybody
* Place compliance when new version is out, send Debian package(please, if anyone used it please comment to make me feel good!)
* Argue with Jorn that he should continue with the project :-)

So thank you Jorn for amazing project!
Not everything worked, but I had amazing experiment!

I am sorry that I can't afford the time and knowledge for full maintaining Xnoise, but in order to keep it alive I can spare ~5 hours every week.

If anyone else could make maintain I would be happy to spare more time for support.

Tal

Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 05:13:17 -0700
From: smarq...@gmail.com
To: xno...@googlegroups.com
CC: shuer...@googlemail.com
Subject: [xnoise] Re: Xnoise development is over

shuerhaaken

Jun 25, 2014, 9:48:59 AM6/25/14
to xno...@googlegroups.com
Hello Tal

Sure, there are a lot of things that could be done in xnoise.
It would be necessary to implement a lot of things and maintain the
code, but that is more than I am able to do right now.
Unfortunately, I lack time and there is no other developer. I wasn't
able to interest more developers in xnoise. So that's it.
In the end, the world probably doesn't need xnoise that much. :(

Thanks(!) and all the best, Jörn

PS: I'll keep up libtaginfo maintaining.

Andreas

Jun 25, 2014, 1:19:22 PM6/25/14
to xno...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jörn,
I had a lot of fun contributing to it in the past. Only I haven't been
using it in a long time. Playing back music is a former desktop task
that might have moved to the web for many (youtube etc.) But I still
have the feeling there is a large target group that might be interested
in xnoise because it fits in with all the light weight desktop
environments (xfce, lxde etc.) and their traditional desktop paradigm. I
hope somebody's going to continue xnoise development. It definitely is a
great piece of software.

regards
andi

shuerhaaken

Jun 26, 2014, 4:18:08 AM6/26/14
to xno...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andi,

xnoise fits with all Gtk+ based desktop environments. It has become one
of the fastest solutions for large music libraries and can easily handle
10000+ titles with ease. Interface is kept simple and clear, all
essential and a lot of extra features are there.

On the other hand - Desktop music players - in general - are losing
ground (you are right !). Also, xnoise never found it's place: xfce has
its own player, also Gnome. Unity, lxde or anything else out there never
showed any interest.
Xnoise is going nowhere.
It has a few thousand users, but there isn't enough support from other
developers. Without me, there is not much left. I wasn't able to change
that.
I lack time. The logical step is to discontinue this project. I had a
great time with xnoise and I learned a lot, but now it's over.

Jörn

Tinek

Oct 31, 2014, 7:59:42 AM10/31/14
to xno...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

Long time user of Xnoise, I'm quite sad to discover that new...

Can't be of any help out there, just wanted to show respect for that amazing piece of software and the work you did!

Keep up the good work!

shuerhaaken

Nov 8, 2014, 6:10:36 PM11/8/14
to xno...@googlegroups.com