Notes about Debian packaging(and errors)

Tal Hadad

Dec 16, 2013, 3:33:02 PM12/16/13
to Xnoise mailing-list
I have a few problems and notes in Xnoise packaging for Debian that I would like to
publish in order they could be fixed in next release.
Almost everything is trivial, but critical to standard packaging!

Tag-Info:
1. Please include my package_chef.sh also there, I think it would be useful for
everyone who use Debian/Ubuntu/(Debian based) distro. It also a good packaging
test for you(Jorn) before you upload to PPA, if you need one.
2. Make doxygen docs in a separate package, in form of *-doc, which is the flavor of
Debian and Ubuntu.
3. If the API/ABI break is only for build and not in dynamic library run-time, add in
Build-Depends libtag1-dev (>=1.9) instead of (>=1.8) that currently there. It will
require the libtag1-dev >= 1.9 only for building and not for the end-user.
4. There is a problem when I start ./package_chef.sh in this directory. It's related
somehow to the files timestamp, which is logical, since ./package_chef.sh copy files
to an isolated dir. In previous version of Xnoise and Tag-Info, it didn't happen.
Any idea why?
I found a post that describe the exact error I get here and explain how to fix it in
another case, but I don't know how to fix it here:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18769770/user-of-autotools-generated-tarball-gets-error-message-aclocal-1-13-command-no
The way I could use the ./package_chef.sh is to use:
# touch *
# autoreconf
# ./package_chef.sh

This fixes it, but you see the portability issue here...

Xnoise:
1. Same as clause 4 above
2. Again(wasn't fixed since the last release), the libxnoisetest.do wasn't remove
from the file, even known it was removed from plugins list.
Please remove this line from file packaging/debian/debian/xnoise-plugin.install:
usr/lib/xnoise/libxnoisetest.so

This makes me break the original package and build a non-official release.

A better solution to avoid this problem in the future, is to replace file content from:
usr/lib/xnoise/libazlyrics.so
usr/lib/xnoise/libchartlyrics.so
usr/lib/xnoise/libDatabaseLyrics.so
usr/lib/xnoise/liblastfm.so
usr/lib/xnoise/libLyricwiki.so
usr/lib/xnoise/libmediakeys.so
usr/lib/xnoise/libmpris.so
usr/lib/xnoise/libmprisone.so
usr/lib/xnoise/libxnoisetest.so
usr/lib/xnoise/libMagnatune.so
usr/lib/xnoise/*.xnplugin

Simply to:
usr/lib/xnoise/lib*.so
usr/lib/xnoise/*.xnplugin

(I've taken this idea from file packaging/ubuntu/saucy/debian/xnoise.install)

I hope you'll solve this problems for the next releases, so everyone who wish could
just invoke ./package_chef.sh!

Hope I've been clear
Tal

shuerhaaken

Dec 22, 2013, 6:03:17 AM12/22/13
to xno...@googlegroups.com
Hello Tal,

libtaginfo:
1. I included a copy of your package-chef.sh script.

2. docs are already going to a separate package called libtaginfo-doc.

3. taglib 1.9 is not widely available atm. There is for example no
released ubuntu version shipping that. Also 1.9 is not needed. Compiling
works with 1.8 and having 1.9 will just give you additional opus file
support. This is done via some conditional compilations. Therefore
compile time and runtime library must be the same!

4. Because of this, the script is useful for local packaging, only. But
that's fine.

Xnoise:
1. see above

2. I fixed your issue, but using
usr/lib/xnoise/lib*.so
usr/lib/xnoise/*.xnplugin
will not work for the debian package! In that case you are putting
libxnoise.so into your plugin package! For ubuntu, the core plugins are
packaged in the same deb, that's why it works there.

Thanks and best regards
Jörn

Tal Hadad

Dec 22, 2013, 3:44:23 PM12/22/13
to Xnoise mailing-list
Hello Jorn,

libtaginfo:
1. Thanks
2. My bad, was confused around there.
3. OK
4. It doesn't make this right. In the last versions, Xnoise was
fine. Why now copy a whole directory can't be configured?
Did you change something in recent releases?

Xnoise:
2. Got your point, at least just drop this "usr/lib/xnoise/libxnoisetest.so".
However, there is a way to do this properly with wildcard rules:

usr/lib/xnoise/lib{[!x],}{[!n],}{[!o],}{[!i],}{[!s],}{[!e],}*.so

usr/lib/xnoise/lib{xnoise?,{[!x]{[!n]{[!o]{[!i]{[!s]{[!e],},},},},},}}*.so

This is the same as:
usr/lib/xnoise/lib*.so

only without:
usr/lib/xnoise/libxnoise.so

But this is too ugly...

(Does Debian support invoking commands on this list via $() ?)

So I guess listing all files(without libxnoisetest) would be better.

Tal