A few issues on various artists

YE Qianchuan

Mar 14, 2013, 7:52:24 AM3/14/13
to xno...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I first tried xnoise just a few days ago (0.2.16). It's really simple and elegant. Thanks for your great player.
I am the guy have many albums with various artists. Sadly, I found the design of various artists in xnoise is quite unusable, and some of the issues should be considered as a bug.

Most of these albums have an album artist, while some of them not (that means their album artist is exactly various artists or blank).
To make the problems clear, let's say I have 2 albums: album "A1" with artists "a1" and "a2", where "a2" is the album artist;
album "A2" with artist "a3" and "a4", without album artist.

Here are the issues:
1. xnoise fails to find the cover art of an album with various artists.
I found those covers in ~/.local/xnoise/album_images directory, organized by the hierarchy like "artist/album/images" (e.g. a1/A1/images). So xnoise does find my covers.
I guess the problem is xnoise tries to locate the cover at "various artists/album/images" (e.g. various artists/A1/images) which doesn't exist, because no artist called "various artists".

2. An album may have various artists, but a track should have only one artist (in the metadata I mean).
For example, there's a track "t1" performed by "a1". If you click "edit data for track" on this track, xnoise shows its artist as "various artists", which should be "a1".
Other related bug is, in the left panel, "t1" item is displayed as "t1 (a2)", rather than "t1 (a1)". Apparently, xnoise thinks the album artist "a2" is the artist for all tracks in "A1".

3. xnoise finds nothing if search an artist who is not an album artist. For example, search "a2" is ok, xnoise would return "A1". However, if you search "a1" or "a3", xnoise finds nothing.

4. See thread https://groups.google.com/d/topic/xnoise/P2rIFK315TM/discussion
As Cristian says, when all your albums are various artist album (in my case, most of them), the design of various artists will be useless.
It also make it hard to find works of a specific artist since she/he may be buried in various artist section.

I'd like to bring up a dicussion on improving the design of various artist album.
Again, thanks for your great work.

shuerhaaken

Mar 14, 2013, 11:41:01 AM3/14/13
to xno...@googlegroups.com
Can you file a bug for that?

I'll look into that. I know the issue is there, but I haven't had the
time to take care of it.

Thank you

YE Qianchuan

Mar 15, 2013, 3:13:15 AM3/15/13
to xno...@googlegroups.com, shuer...@googlemail.com

On Thursday, March 14, 2013 11:41:01 PM UTC+8, shuerhaaken wrote:
Can you file a bug for that?

Sure. I opened a thread here because if you're going to change the various artist design, some bugs may naturally go away.

YE Qianchuan

May 11, 2013, 3:24:27 AM5/11/13
to xno...@googlegroups.com, shuer...@googlemail.com
All of them got resolved in version 0.2.18 AFAIK.
0.2.18 is a cool release. Now xnoise become very usable for me.
Thank you shuerhaaken.