Same Session name for different subjects

Alan Miranda

Nov 28, 2022, 9:32:07 AM11/28/22
to xnat_discussion
Hi. I was wondering if its possible to define the same session name for different subjects in the same project. For example, i uploaded a Session and I call it "X" for" Subject1", then I try to upload a Session for "Subject2" and try to call it "X", but I get an error that the same Session name exists for another subject. I thought the Sessions were linked to the subject and not to the project, and therefore could have the same name if the subject was different. Thank you

Rick Herrick

Nov 28, 2022, 12:30:24 PM11/28/22
to xnat_di...@googlegroups.com
No, for historical and practical reasons sessions must have distinct names within each project.
  • The historical reason is that sessions existed in projects before there were subjects with which the sessions could be associated
  • The practical reason is that (primarily because of the historical reason above) sessions are stored in folders named for the session label underneath the project’s top-level folder, meaning that the names need to be distinct at that level (no name spacing by the subject label at that level)
Rick Herrick
Senior Software Developer

Hi. I was wondering if its possible to define the same session name for different subjects in the same project. For example, i uploaded a Session and I call it "X" for" Subject1", then I try to upload a Session for "Subject2" and try to call it "X", but I get an error that the same Session name exists for another subject. I thought the Sessions were linked to the subject and not to the project, and therefore could have the same name if the subject was different. Thank you

Alan Miranda

Dec 5, 2022, 11:54:37 AM12/5/22
to xnat_discussion
OK, thank you for the clear explanation.