Networking issues with VirtualBox 6.1.30

Herrick, Rick

Dec 2, 2021, 11:44:39 AM12/2/21
to xnat_discussion

The previous update of VirtualBox–6.1.28–was completely broken, so don’t try to use that. The latest version is 6.1.30, so I tried that to see if it fixed the issues that made 6.1.28 non-operational.

The good news is that it does.

The bad news is that the default IP addresses configured in XNAT Vagrant no longer work, due to a change in the range of IP addresses that VirtualBox allows for host-only network adapters. This “(intentionally) breaking change” restricts IP addresses to the range:

192.68.56.0/21

This means the first two numbers must be 192.68, while the third number has to be between 56 and 63 (inclusive), and the last can be 1 to 255, except:

  • With 192.68.63.x, where 255 is reserved for broadcast
  • You can use 1, but Vagrant or VirtualBox (not sure which, I think it’s the latter) will issue a warning

I’m reasonably certain these numbers are correct, but, if anyone knows differently, please correct me!

We’ll work on changing the XNAT Vagrant configurations to use IP addresses in line with these changes for the next XNAT release. In the meantime, if you need to upgrade to 6.1.30 for whatever reason, you can work around this by adding something like this to your local.yaml configuration:

vm_ip: 192.168.56.100

--

Rick Herrick

XNAT Architect/Developer

Computational Imaging Laboratory

David Maffitt

Jan 11, 2022, 11:43:22 AM1/11/22
to xnat_discussion
I tried this today.  I am able to ssh and http into the VM with IP set in the above range. However, NTP time synch seems to be blocked.  The system time was wrong, causing XNAT sessions to immediately time out.  I just set time manually as a quick work around.

vagrant@xnat-system:~$ date
Tue 11 Jan 2022 04:07:49 PM UTC
vagrant@xnat-system:~$ timedatectl
               Local time: Tue 2022-01-11 16:10:18 UTC
           Universal time: Tue 2022-01-11 16:10:18 UTC
                 RTC time: Tue 2022-01-11 16:09:20
                Time zone: Etc/UTC (UTC, +0000)
System clock synchronized: no
              NTP service: active
          RTC in local TZ: no

vagrant@xnat-system:~$ timedatectl set-ntp no

vagrant@xnat-system:~$ timedatectl set-time 16:32:30

Herrick, Rick

Jan 11, 2022, 12:09:16 PM1/11/22
to xnat_di...@googlegroups.com

Try running this:

systemctl stop chrony.service

chronyd -q

systemctl start chrony.service

I ran into issues similar to what you’re seeing (probably the same as what you’re seeing) that broke the ability to log into the XNAT UI because of time differences between the server and client. The only way I could figure out how to work around it was installing chrony over ntp sync.

I actually have the command sequence above set to an alias in my default shell configuration:

alias td='systemctl stop chrony.service; chronyd -q; systemctl start chrony.service'

The ironic thing is that, once I added that alias, I almost never needed to use it 😊

From: xnat_di...@googlegroups.com <xnat_di...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of David Maffitt <davidm...@gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, January 11, 2022 at 10:43 AM
To: xnat_discussion <xnat_di...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [XNAT Discussion] Re: Networking issues with VirtualBox 6.1.30