zip upload fails

Miklos Espak

Nov 20, 2014, 6:44:53 AM11/20/14
to xnat_di...@googlegroups.com, Melbourne, Andrew
Hi,

I get an error when I try to upload a file set (~2GB) to our XNAT server, saying that there is no sufficient disk space.

On the root fs there is less space, that's true, but the data directories are on a different fs which has almost 2TB space.

In xdat.log I see this:
2014-11-20 11:18:16,491 [http-80-2] ERROR org.nrg.xnat.turbine.utils.ImageUploadHelper - unable to open temporary directory for unpacking: mkdir failed

But it does not tell where it wanted to create the directory.

That's with XNAT 1.6.1.

Does XNAT use the root fs for zip uploads?
Is there a way to tell not to?
Is it an apache httpd / tomcat setting, eventually?

Thanks,
Miklos

Herrick, Rick

Nov 20, 2014, 10:03:48 AM11/20/14
to xnat_di...@googlegroups.com, Melbourne, Andrew

Yes, the location of that work folder is dependent on the Tomcat configuration. There’s an environment variable, I think CATALINA_TMPDIR, that’s used by the startup configuration to determine where to write incoming data before passing it onto the application. I believe if you set that to a folder somewhere you have available space and restart Tomcat you should be good.

Rick Herrick

Sr. Programmer/Analyst

Neuroinformatics Research Group

(314) 827-4250

The material in this message is private and may contain Protected Healthcare Information (PHI). If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that any unauthorized use, disclosure, copying or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender via telephone or return mail.

Miklos Espak

Nov 20, 2014, 12:34:10 PM11/20/14
to xnat_di...@googlegroups.com, Melbourne, Andrew
Thank you, Rick.
I just set it and we'll test it tomorrow, but it should be all right.

Cheers,
Miklos

Noman Ghafoor

Mar 20, 2023, 10:49:13 AM3/20/23
to xnat_discussion
Thanks, Rick. It was helpful for me.

I was having this error with compressed uploads > 1 GB;
unable to open temporary directory for unpacking: mkdir failed

Solution;
  1. Open the setenv.sh file located in the ${XNAT_HOME}/bin directory.

  2. Add the following line at the end of the file to set the CATALINA_TMPDIR environment variable to the desired folder location: export CATALINA_TMPDIR=/path/to/temp/folder by default, it was taking value from /usr/share/tomcat9/temp

  3. I changed the path to where excessive space is available, in my case, /data/CATALINA_TMPDIR Thanks